Thread: 128H disaster!

128H disaster!

So I was putting my JBL L112 up on a shelf in my room and I... dropped it... from 6-7 feet.

The box is still okay, however, the magnet on my 128H broke free of its adhesive. The magnet is still attached but it is pinching the voice coil, making it impossible to move. The magnet can rotate, but it will not remain centered on the voice coil.

What do I do!?

Quote Originally Posted by gregm12 View Post
    So I was putting my JBL L112 up on a shelf in my room and I... dropped it... from 6-7 feet.

The box is still okay, however, the magnet on my 128H broke free of its adhesive. The magnet is still attached but it is pinching the voice coil, making it impossible to move. The magnet can rotate, but it will not remain centered on the voice coil.

What do I do!?
    It's likely that 128H has seen it's last woof. I'd suggest replacing it. Even if you got the magnet re-centered, there's no guarantee the coil or former wasn't damaged in the process- case in point, it probably was.

Angry

Do you think anyone would be interested in the thing?

I also have a 128H that needs to be re-voice coiled (possibly all around re-coned).

I'm anxiously watching ebay to get my L112s back up to good working order. I am currently using a cheap MTX woofer in each.

Quote Originally Posted by gregm12 View Post

Do you think anyone would be interested in the thing?

I also have a 128H that needs to be re-voice coiled (possibly all around re-coned).

I'm anxiously watching ebay to get my L112s back up to good working order. I am currently using a cheap MTX woofer in each.
    Probably not. There are plenty of cheap frames that only need a cone, and not a magnet repair. Sorry to be the bringer of bad news, good luck in your restoration. Don't be a stranger around here, we all love our JBLs!

Cool DIY!

Quote Originally Posted by badman View Post
    Probably not. There are plenty of cheap frames that only need a cone, and not a magnet repair. Sorry to be the bringer of bad news, good luck in your restoration. Don't be a stranger around here, we all love our JBLs!
    A frame without a magnet makes a great test-fit fixture in the wood shop. Someone may be willing to pay postage to take it off your hands.

For instance, I recently removed the magnet from a burned out LE-5-XX and spent the day learning how to use my router to recess it into a panel. Once I knew what size bits, etc. to use, I followed the same process with a 2123H. It would have been a pain to haul the 2123H around, since it still has the magnet on it, but it was an easy as 1-2-3 once I had finished playing around with the light weight LE-5!
    Mike Scott in SJ, CA
    Drive 'em to the Xmax!

If you can remain calm in a crises, you don't understand the situation!

Those are 128H-1s though. They'd work fine, they just won't look "right" in the L112.

Referring to the original post in the thread, what the heck were you planning on gaining by putting those L112s on a shelf 7-feet up?
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Thread Information