Thread: JBL Foam Surrounds?

jackz4000

JBL Foam Surrounds?

Do all, or most JBL woofers and mid-ranges have foam surrounds? I am mainly interested in speakers from the mid-70's to early 80's.

I notice many JBL's of this period need re-foaming of the surrounds. Kinda old and foam rots.

I am just an average DIY guy so I wonder about the difficulty and screw-up levels of doing it myself. I live in a rural area and the nearest good repair shop is 90 miles away. For me DIY is the way to go for most things.

On a scale of 1-10 (10 being most difficult) how would those who have done it rate the difficulty level. And who is the best source for the surround foam? Thanks, Jack

Hey...

Well, decide for yourself - here's a link to the Resurround Step-by-Step that Giskard encouraged me to post last year. There some useful pics, and resources, there.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

I recently refoam a pair of 2121 and LE15A, EASY.

I am a BELOW AVG DIY person, but I did it and on the scale of 1-10 , it is 2, just follow the above instruction and I got my surrounds fr Rick.

Figge
    i totaly agree with hoto! 2 on the scale...be shure to get the surrounds from rick!

jackz4000

Thanks Bo

I saw your "Re-Foaming Instructional" and I thought it was excellent. Just trying to "figger" the DIY level. Cheers, Jack

jackz4000

Difficulty Level 2.0.....Great!

I can do a 2.0 DIY. It's the 8's and 9's that worry me. Bo, just an excellent instructional you have. I think its doable for me. I will probably have a couple questions in the future. Most older JBL's I encounter need foam or cone work.

This year I plan to replace all the speakers in my home with JBL's...that'll be 4 pair. I am patient and it will take about a year or 2. And I am on a semi-budget....it expands.

Who is the best source for JBL foam surrounds?

I should really add something. I am very new to this board and have researched it alot. It is just such a great source of information for a "sound nut" like I am. I have alot to learn...but this is a great learning center. Cheers, Jack

jackz4000

Rick?

Who is Rick and where is his email????? Cheers, Jack

Who is Rick and where is his email????? Cheers, Jack
    Rick is the best foam suplier for our JBL
    Realy nice guy and fast shipping.
    [email protected]

Fred.

whej4312

Talking

Just ordered a pair of Kits from Rick this week
    for my L150 Milleniums. Heck of a nice guy. Plus cheaper than reconing the 'ol dames!!

Thread Information