Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BE diaphragms for altec 288 drivers...ever?

BE diaphragms for altec 288 drivers...ever?

A questions I cant seem to find, will they ever manufacture a BE fram for Altec 288s?

All the JBL talk about them is making me drool!

Don't think so.You can always ask GPA if they will not be making them then answer is NO
    "James B. Lansing" = Lansing Manufacturing ~ Altec Lansing ~ JBL

Quote Originally Posted by Altec Best View Post
    Don't think so.You can always ask GPA if they will not be making them then answer is NO
    The answer I was afraid of ..... I doubt GPA will make them. I am not sure the manufacture cost of these, but as we know they are expensive for the JBL's, which probably means a high production cost (since walmart isn't buying and selling them

I am sure there are many people like myself that are dying to put a BE fram in their 288!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Progneta View Post
    I am sure there are many people like myself that are dying to put a BE fram in their 288!!!
    I don't know but my all aluminium frams in my 288's sound darn good to me.And I am quite pleased with them.

To me, the 288 seems like the ideal driver for a Be diaphragm. If GPA offered them as a factory option on their current line of 1 and 1.4 inch exit drivers they'd be one up on almost anyone else in the aftermarket supply, especially in the Alnico version. I'm not sure of what the tooling cost would be to get setup to build them, but if true extent thought there was a market for 244x version, then I'd think there would be a market for Altec versions as well. If they did a 1.75" JBL (242x) version a slight tooling change could produce a 1.75" Altec version.

BTW, I'm pleased to see GPA one eBay now, and the prices for factory fresh NEW drivers is pretty reasonable - often cheaper than some of the 50 year old drivers getting flogged out there!

Production shipments of 4” voice coil diameter diaphragm assemblies will begin in the second half of 2009, with 2¾” diameter, 1¾” diameter and 3” diameter shipments ramping up thereafter. These diaphragm assemblies are engineered to fit the majority of existing compression driver motors.
    If you don't see the driver you are looking for, please contact us for more information by signing up at the Truextent website.
    I'd just give them a shout and see if Altec drivers are on their list of drivers to be.

And Orange County is having another 15% off sale for the next 3 days, that's about $90 ea off the price on the 4" phragms for JBL drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by tomee View Post
    BTW, I'm pleased to see GPA one eBay now, and the prices for factory fresh NEW drivers is pretty reasonable - often cheaper than some of the 50 year old drivers getting flogged out there!
    I am too ! Their 288H alnico versions have received very good reviews, people that have bought them have been very pleased with the sound quality.Steve Mac over at Altec User Board built a DIY system with the GPA 288H on 511E horns and he built dual LF horns with JBL 2235H's in a HT app. and he said he couldn't be more happy with it.

Be for Altec 1 - 3/8"

I thought it funny to see this thread today because I talked to Bill H. at Great Plains yesterday and we were discussing the Be for Altec drivers.

I told Bill I had JBL 2446 w/Be diaphrams installed on them and I can't live without them! I asked him if Tru-extent was making them for Altec drivers and he commented that he might help them design the diaphrams, but nothing was for sure on the deal.

I then told him there were plenty of Altec followers that would definitely want the Be diaphrams.

So there might be hope for you Altec fans.

Ron
    JBL Pro for home use!

Quote Originally Posted by spkrman57 View Post
    I thought it funny to see this thread today because I talked to Bill H. at Great Plains yesterday and we were discussing the Be for Altec drivers.

I told Bill I had JBL 2446 w/Be diaphrams installed on them and I can't live without them! I asked him if Tru-extent was making them for Altec drivers and he commented that he might help them design the diaphrams, but nothing was for sure on the deal.

I then told him there were plenty of Altec followers that would definitely want the Be diaphrams.

So there might be hope for you Altec fans.

Ron
    Cool ! Will be looking out for some of those. Now if it's sooner rather than later

Not to be tacky, but aren't the BE diaphragms pretty expensive, compared to other materials?

I'm not debating value, just making a comment.
    I don't know about the as yet unavailable Altec diaphragms,
    but I believe the JBLs are like $600+ expensive, right?
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Not to be tacky, but aren't the BE diaphragms pretty expensive, compared to other materials?
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    Orange County is having another 15% off sale for the next 3 days, that's about $90 ea off the price on the 4" phragms for JBL drivers.
    With ratio and proportion, you can figure it from clues left earlier

(But yeah, they are kinda pricey)

Quote Originally Posted by spkrman57 View Post
    i thought it funny to see this thread today because i talked to bill h. At great plains yesterday and we were discussing the be for altec drivers.

I told bill i had jbl 2446 w/be diaphrams installed on them and i can't live without them! I asked him if tru-extent was making them for altec drivers and he commented that he might help them design the diaphrams, but nothing was for sure on the deal.

I then told him there were plenty of altec followers that would definitely want the be diaphrams.

So there might be hope for you altec fans.

Ron
    amen!

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"

agreed, my wife about had a fit when she saw the reciept...

she no longer was concerned about the cost of some vacations she had
    been contemplating...

on the plus side, my understanding is that they may well
    be the last pair of phragms i ever need to buy for this pair
    of compression drivers... as they will be used in home only...

There is a thread now at the Altec board that says they will be available very soon. The 1.75" will be released first followed by 3" ?? Don't know for sure. Tru-extent says on their website that the 4" production ramping up for the second half of 2009 and then production of 2.75" 1.75" and then 3" thereafter.Since we are rapidly approaching 2011 who knows when if ever they will be available.

Addendum: Earl post clarified
    Last edited by Altec Best; 11-04-2010 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Clarification

Be !

They are worth every penny Heather .... have you heard them ? you could spend 10 k on other components and not have the same kind of improvement .... I think you may find others to back up this statement . !

You have 2445's already .... Be measures really ,really good in them .... you get 90 % of the TAD 4003 sound quality for 20%of the price .... They sound more like your maggies in the regions

Rich

Thread Information