Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: JBL 1400 Arrays and 1500 Array sub together

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Coast of Maine
    Posts
    537

    JBL 1400 Arrays and 1500 Array sub together

    The 1400's are great IMO. By adding this sub it has elevated the performance substantially. Together with the McIntosh MC402 pushing the 1400's, the 1500 Array generates MUCH greater authority in the bass. It is very 'tight' now. These together are real keepers. Just had to shout it out.

    I imagine the same kind of result with the bass response will occur if I switch to the S/2600's.

  2. #2
    Senior Member JBLAddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lower Cali
    Posts
    647
    Quote Originally Posted by tom1040 View Post
    The 1400's are great IMO. By adding this sub it has elevated the performance substantially. Together with the McIntosh MC402 pushing the 1400's, the 1500 Array generates MUCH greater authority in the bass. It is very 'tight' now. These together are real keepers. Just had to shout it out.

    I imagine the same kind of result with the bass response will occur if I switch to the S/2600's.
    Wow, what a killer combo, you must be on cloud 9! audionutz has his up for sale on ebay today, citing the preference for the 4350, wish I could have heard them in July to understand the character that some love, some don't ?
    Performance Series 5.1/1990s L1.L5.L7/L100A
    http://adsoftheworld.com/media/tv/ac...cuses_tube_amp

  3. #3
    Senior Member Audionutz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    177
    Quote Originally Posted by tom1040 View Post
    The 1400's are great IMO. By adding this sub it has elevated the performance substantially. Together with the McIntosh MC402 pushing the 1400's, the 1500 Array generates MUCH greater authority in the bass. It is very 'tight' now. These together are real keepers. Just had to shout it out.

    I imagine the same kind of result with the bass response will occur if I switch to the S/2600's.

    If I could ask, what did you find the bass was like prior to the sub being added ?

    Cheers

    'Nutz
    Thats not a speaker ......*That's* a Speaker !
    (With apologies to Michael J. "Crocodile" Dundee)

  4. #4
    Administrator Robh3606's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Rocinante
    Posts
    8,036
    If I could ask, what did you find the bass was like prior to the sub being added ?
    Well not directed to me I will answer anyway. I used my LE-14H-3 as subs for a year before I built up my Array clones. I had them in larger 4cu Ft boxes and in my room, which is smaller that yours' they were great. When I built my Arrays I droped them into, larger than the Array cabinets, based on what they did as subs. I always liked the LE-14 low end as opposed to the 2235's in my 4344's. That doesn't mean I don't understand where you are coming from. There was a guy a couple of years back that had a pair of 4350's local to me. I got to audition them in a room larger than mine so they were a good fit. It was one of those OMG moments. They didn't image all that great and they had other isssue but they were killer on the music I brought.

    So in my room the Le's fit very well so I like the bass from them.

    Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

  5. #5
    Senior Member Audionutz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    177
    Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Well not directed to me I will answer anyway. I used my LE-14H-3 as subs for a year before I built up my Array clones. I had them in larger 4cu Ft boxes and in my room, which is smaller that yours' they were great. When I built my Arrays I droped them into, larger than the Array cabinets, based on what they did as subs. I always liked the LE-14 low end as opposed to the 2235's in my 4344's. That doesn't mean I don't understand where you are coming from. There was a guy a couple of years back that had a pair of 4350's local to me. I got to audition them in a room larger than mine so they were a good fit. It was one of those OMG moments. They didn't image all that great and they had other isssue but they were killer on the music I brought.

    So in my room the Le's fit very well so I like the bass from them.

    Rob

    I think its a big task for the LE14's to go up to 750 on the 1400's though, even with Aquaplus and superb crossovers. I just cant get tight, dry bass in my room no matter what I try ...it always sounds "wooly". Just like heavily ported bass does, and of course they are ported.

    Seems to me they wanted the last octave or two of bass no matter what the cabinet or driver said. Maybe more for movie sound etc ? Dunno ?

    And yes, the 4350's do something to the music that I miss. Wish I could find a word to describe it then I'd know what to look for !

    'Nutz
    Thats not a speaker ......*That's* a Speaker !
    (With apologies to Michael J. "Crocodile" Dundee)

  6. #6
    Administrator Mr. Widget's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    10,110
    Quote Originally Posted by Audionutz View Post
    I think its a big task for the LE14's to go up to 750 on the 1400's though, even with Aquaplus and superb crossovers. I just cant get tight, dry bass in my room no matter what I try ...it always sounds "wooly". Just like heavily ported bass does, and of course they are ported.
    I think you are right... but as compromises go, I think it is a good one.

    Bottom line is, there are many flavors of speakers... here we are nit picking about a couple of JBLs with somewhat similar woofers and compression drivers and horns, but there are also electrostats, big ribbons, radial drivers of many types, domes and cones, and on and on... there are large numbers of people who love and other large numbers of people who hate each one.

    For me a little woolliness and the lack of intense midbass slam are acceptable whereas the huge speaker enclosures, poor linearity, and poor imaging of the big old monitors is not as acceptable. We all have different needs and desires.


    Widget

  7. #7
    Senior Member Audionutz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    177
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    I think you are right... but as compromises go, I think it is a good one.

    Bottom line is, there are many flavors of speakers... here we are nit picking about a couple of JBLs with somewhat similar woofers and compression drivers and horns, but there are also electrostats, big ribbons, radial drivers of many types, domes and cones, and on and on... there are large numbers of people who love and other large numbers of people who hate each one.

    For me a little woolliness and the lack of intense midbass slam are acceptable whereas the huge speaker enclosures, poor linearity, and poor imaging of the big old monitors is not as acceptable. We all have different needs and desires.


    Widget
    Thanks Widget, I guess my expectations were a little too high. That'll teach me to believe everything I read !

    I'd like to PM you though ?

    Cheers

    'Nutz
    Thats not a speaker ......*That's* a Speaker !
    (With apologies to Michael J. "Crocodile" Dundee)

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Coast of Maine
    Posts
    537
    Personally, I think the 1400's need a lot of current. My McIntosh has 400wpc but 'only' 100 amperers of current. I debated buying a pair of Marantz new mono blocks @ 300 wpc @ 8 ohms but double down to 600 @ 4 ohms and have more current to 'grab' the Le14-3 woofer. However, I was intriged with the 1500 Array sub so I pulled the trigger, got a great deal (thanks again Widget!)and am very happy with the results.

    For whatever reason, the imaging, soundstage and the overall 'impact' of the music is spot on-to me. I really do not have to turn the amp up further than an average of about 45-80 wpc (average-peaks hit 200 sometimes). As a matter of fact, the sound pressure is amazing-no booming at all. I have the crossover set to the lowest point on the sub & gain is @ 40%. I found this sub to be a immediate improvement with the presentation of the music @ both low/higer level of listening. I recommend the 1500 Array.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Coast of Maine
    Posts
    537
    Damnnnnnnnn.....this is good stuff!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Array 1500 Sub
    By tom1040 in forum Lansing Product General Information
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-06-2010, 11:14 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •