Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How much power is needed for each driver in active 3-way setup with sub

Thank you for input. You are probably right.

Unless you want to use the 2405/077 there is not really too many JBL alternatives that runs flat beyond 20kHz. (I cannot fit 2404) I know you cannot really hear up there but I think that the overall "experience" get's more enjoyable if the top end is there. I have no real explanation to why but if I tune the XO’s to 16kHz, which is about as high as we can hear, the sound is different if the tweeter is in or out. It should not matter at that frequency, but it does regardless of filter type or slope (max 48db/oct in my system, no low pass on driver/horn). At least to my ears.

The Ti025 comes from the Ti10K which is rated at 300W (I think) with a cut off at 3Khz. With the above reasoning it should get about 45W RMS in such setup (15%). I will have a cut off at 12kHz or higher so the power is probably lower than my estimated 40W so I think (hope) I'm good.

This entire exercise is really driven by that I want to update my amps and the market seems to offer only very meaty monster amps with >7x150W (+30 Kg) or smaller units with 7-8x40W @ 8ohms or less. To get a 7x150-300W monster to rum my 2451/2332 above 1kHz and the Ti025k above 12kHz does seem like a little overkill…..

I need at least 7 separate amps for mains, rears and center. Sub's and lows amps are already in place (Crown @ 5x250W/Urei @ 2x600W).

I will probably by one of the small amps and do some measurements.

Comments?

Regards
    //RoB
    The solution to the problem changes the problem.
    -And always remember that all of your equipment was made by the lowest bidder

For the tweeter you can also use the 2407 on a small 6" square PT waveguide (90° pattern control up to ~15khz in my tests), but that is probably too big for you application if you cannot fit a 2404... It is also much less efficient than the 2402/3/4/5 at these frequencies.
    I think the problem with using a dome tweeter as a super tweeter is not that much about efficiency, but more about directivity: they are typically already too large to maintain a large directivity (>=90°) above 10khz, let alone past 20khz, so even if you do reach these frequencies on axis you will not get much of that "air" at your listening position.
    Ok there is one solution left: try to find a 045Ti ! (it seems it is not that much efficient either, by the way). It is good to past 30khz, with a narrow throat that warrant for large dispersion capabilities up high.

Regarding the amp, I don't think you should worry too much: if you find a good 7 channel amp then why bother about "too much power" ? You will spend more if you try to find specific power amp for each component, and you will loose a lot of rack space for nothing more (for not having more than needed in fact).
    And you can also choose a low power multi way amp, and bridge some channels for the low mids if you need extra power there, for example.
    Plus, I think there is one thing you have to consider with these multiway amps: the power supply is (in most cases) common to all channels, so if one channel use less power, others can make more use of the power supply and dynamic capacity, in a way.

I have heard good comments about the Ram-Audio T serie:
    http://www.ramaudio.com/t.htm

Thread Information