+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 34

Thread: 1400 Array Question - Calling all Crossover "Gurus" !

  1. #1
    Senior Member Audionutz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    174

    1400 Array Question - Calling all Crossover "Gurus" !

    In my 1400 Arrays, I'd like to find out if it's possible to increase the SPL, or volume, of the Horn and Tweeter only, by 3db.

    I believe this could be done WITHOUT changing the crossover points, by changing one or more resistors in the crossover ?

    I've attached a schematic of the crossover below, if anyone can assist ?

    Thanks in advance.

    'Nutz
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Thats not a speaker ......*That's* a Speaker !
    (With apologies to Michael J. "Crocodile" Dundee)

  2. #2
    Senior Member Woofer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    ... Look! I can climb a tree!
    Posts
    657
    Well, if you're "bi-wiring" as the x-over suggests, why don't you just turn the 'bass' amp down by 3dB?
    (... or is it bi-amping still but without an Active x-over???)
    I might be deaf, but I can still hear da bells! (Quasimodo)
    .... Oh, and the Kick Drum.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Audionutz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    174
    Quote Originally Posted by Woofer View Post
    Well, if you're "bi-wiring" as the x-over suggests, why don't you just turn the 'bass' amp down by 3dB?
    (... or is it bi-amping still but without an Active x-over???)
    Its bi-amping or bi-wiring but still goes through both passive crossovers.
    Thats not a speaker ......*That's* a Speaker !
    (With apologies to Michael J. "Crocodile" Dundee)

  4. #4
    Senior Member Woofer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    ... Look! I can climb a tree!
    Posts
    657
    Quote Originally Posted by Audionutz View Post
    Its bi-amping or bi-wiring but still goes through both passive crossovers.
    Well there ya go then.
    Turn the bass amp down.....
    Problem solved

    .... on the other hand, are you sure you have the 1400's the right way round?

    It's just that you're the only person in the whole world that's asked about that 3dB mod which makes me think also that you might only have one ear, and nobody's told you yet.

    Just funnin' ya, 'nutz!
    I might be deaf, but I can still hear da bells! (Quasimodo)
    .... Oh, and the Kick Drum.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Audionutz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    174
    Quote Originally Posted by Woofer View Post
    Well there ya go then.
    Turn the bass amp down.....
    Problem solved

    .... on the other hand, are you sure you have the 1400's the right way round?

    It's just that you're the only person in the whole world that's asked about that 3dB mod which makes me think also that you might only have one ear, and nobody's told you yet.

    Just funnin' ya, 'nutz!

    Have a look around - you'll see a coupla similar comments from other listeners ........

    But I'll try turning them upside down anyway .....
    Thats not a speaker ......*That's* a Speaker !
    (With apologies to Michael J. "Crocodile" Dundee)

  6. #6
    Senior Member Woofer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    ... Look! I can climb a tree!
    Posts
    657
    Have you still got that valve thing driving your top end?
    If so, maybe put brighter valves in it.
    I might be deaf, but I can still hear da bells! (Quasimodo)
    .... Oh, and the Kick Drum.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Audionutz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    174
    Quote Originally Posted by Woofer View Post
    Have you still got that valve thing driving your top end?
    If so, maybe put brighter valves in it.
    Man , you're just brimming over with useful advice tonight, 'ain't ya !
    Thats not a speaker ......*That's* a Speaker !
    (With apologies to Michael J. "Crocodile" Dundee)

  8. #8
    Senior Member Woofer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    ... Look! I can climb a tree!
    Posts
    657
    ... did you try it? Did it work?
    I might be deaf, but I can still hear da bells! (Quasimodo)
    .... Oh, and the Kick Drum.

  9. #9
    Administrator Robh3606's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Destiny
    Posts
    7,465
    I believe this could be done WITHOUT changing the crossover points, by changing one or more resistors in the crossover ?
    Sure but you would need to open up the crossovers and change the pads on the 435AL and 045Ti. Use the amps volume controls if they have them.

    Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

  10. #10
    Senior Member Woofer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    ... Look! I can climb a tree!
    Posts
    657
    Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Sure but you would need to open up the crossovers and change the pads on the 435AL and 045Ti. Use the amps volume controls if they have them.

    Rob
    Yeh, what he said. (Hi Rob )
    .... but much easier just rolling a few tubes.
    I might be deaf, but I can still hear da bells! (Quasimodo)
    .... Oh, and the Kick Drum.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Audionutz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    174
    Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Sure but you would need to open up the crossovers and change the pads on the 435AL and 045Ti. Use the amps volume controls if they have them.

    Rob

    I did consider that, but a post from the designer, with a schematic of the crossover, suggested a mod had to be done to allow correct bi-amping voltages ?

    Cheers

    'Nutz
    Thats not a speaker ......*That's* a Speaker !
    (With apologies to Michael J. "Crocodile" Dundee)

  12. #12
    Senior Member Audionutz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    174
    Thats not a speaker ......*That's* a Speaker !
    (With apologies to Michael J. "Crocodile" Dundee)

  13. #13
    Senior Member Woofer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    ... Look! I can climb a tree!
    Posts
    657
    If that's the case, then you're just gonna have to give bi-amping the 'flick' (for now).
    Try it and have a listen, to see if that solves your problem.
    If it does, your only alternative for now is to just be happy with it, or use a bigger amp until you decide to mod your x-overs.
    .... but, I'd leave that to much much later.
    As much as you've played with the 1400's, you, and they, are still settling in I reckon.
    I might be deaf, but I can still hear da bells! (Quasimodo)
    .... Oh, and the Kick Drum.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Audionutz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    174
    Quote Originally Posted by Woofer View Post
    If that's the case, then you're just gonna have to give bi-amping the 'flick' (for now).
    Try it and have a listen, to see if that solves your problem.
    If it does, your only alternative for now is to just be happy with it, or use a bigger amp until you decide to mod your x-overs.
    .... but, I'd leave that to much much later.
    As much as you've played with the 1400's, you, and they, are still settling in I reckon.
    They have a Krell KSA 150 on 'em now - should be more than enough power. But yes, its early days yet .....

    Cheers

    'Nutz
    Thats not a speaker ......*That's* a Speaker !
    (With apologies to Michael J. "Crocodile" Dundee)

  15. #15
    Senior Member Woofer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    ... Look! I can climb a tree!
    Posts
    657
    Maybe it's because your speakers are so good, that they might be revealing problems further up the chain?
    I might be deaf, but I can still hear da bells! (Quasimodo)
    .... Oh, and the Kick Drum.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 1400 Array Question
    By Audionutz in forum Lansing Product Technical Help
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 10-29-2010, 09:36 PM
  2. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-13-2007, 05:08 PM
  3. new "synthesis 3 array"
    By porsche911 in forum Lansing Product General Information
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 04-20-2006, 11:08 AM
  4. Question on the "double scoop" short throw horn.
    By Scooter in forum Lansing Product DIY Forum
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 11-12-2005, 08:20 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts