Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need a JBL 2440 number.

Need a JBL 2440 number.

OK, here's my dilemma.

I have just got hold of a pair of 2440's which I'd like to refurbish, BUT, unfortunately, only one of the drivers has a badge with a serial number.
    The other driver has no badge, therefore NO number.
    Now I'd like to get new badges made up but I can't as I only have the one serial number, so they'll have to be put on hold for a little bit.

So what do I do?

I was thinking, IF somebody out there has a totally trashed 2440, eg: dropped from a multi-storey building etc, and is in no way repairable and will NEVER see the 'street' again, can I either, have what's left of your old badge so I can secure it's number or BUY it for a token amount?
    The badge can be wrecked for all I care, so long as it has a readable number and is from a never to be used again 2440.

I'll be honest, it's been suggested to just make one up, well, that just doesn't sit right with me.
    (I have a conscience which is at peace at the moment, and I'd like to keep it that way)

I know it's not your normal run of the mill question, but I just had to ask.

If ANYONE can help, PLEASE speak up! (or PM me)
    ... or in my case, BARK loudly!

Anyway, it's very late, (3.45am AEDST ) and I'm off to bed.
    Back soon.

Woofer.
    I might be deaf, but I can still hear da bells! (Quasimodo)
    .... Oh, and the Kick Drum.

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    Quote Originally Posted by Woofer View Post
    OK, here's my dilemma.

I have just got hold of a pair of 2440's which I'd like to refurbish, BUT, unfortunately, only one of the drivers has a badge with a serial number.
    Now I'd like to get new badges made up but I can't as I only have the one serial number, so they'll have to be put on hold for a little bit.

So what do I do?

I'll be honest, it's been suggested to just make one up, well, that just doesn't sit right with me.
    (I have a conscience which is at peace at the moment, and I'd like to keep it that way)

Woofer.
    maybe just leave the serial number field blank or filled "unkwn" on the one that is missing the focial?

Quote Originally Posted by louped garouv View Post
    maybe just leave the serial number field blank or filled "unkwn" on the one that is missing the focial?
    I think I like my idea better....
    ... but thanx.

I think I like my idea better....
    ... but thanx.
    With drivers that were made in the thousands over 30 years ago what's in a serial number??

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    With drivers that were made in the thousands over 30 years ago what's in a serial number??

Rob
    Hi Rob.
    When I do a rebuild/restore/refurbish, call it what you will, I have this problem that I like to do it to the highest standard possible. (Including genuine numbers.)

I'd hate to have to be in the position when I try to sell these eventually, listing their numbers, only to have someone email me, and say ".... hey I got that number on my JBL!"
    How embarrassment.....
    I know, chances are slim, but when it comes to bad luck, I'm really good at that.

Woof...

2440-41 label

I HAVE MANY BACKS AND LABELS FROM CANABALIED DRIVERS GET ME A NUMBER TO TRY AND FIND SOMTHING NEAR AND YOU CAN HAVE IT FOR THE PACKAGING AND SHIPPING COST.
    jw5115 [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by jw5115 View Post
    I HAVE MANY BACKS AND LABELS FROM CANABALIED DRIVERS GET ME A NUMBER TO TRY AND FIND SOMTHING NEAR AND YOU CAN HAVE IT FOR THE PACKAGING AND SHIPPING COST.
    jw5115 [email protected]
    I've just sent you an email JW, but I think it may have bounced.
    If you don't get it, let me know.....

Quote Originally Posted by jw5115 View Post
    jw5115 [email protected]
    There's some great people on these forums, and I'd like to express my extreme gratitude to jw5115 for helping me out.
    Thanx HEAPS John.
    My badges arrived just 20 minutes ago all safe n' sound.

Merry Santa to everyone....

So now instead of having a driver with no serial number, you have a driver with a wrong serial number...

Sorry if I don't understand but it kinds of defeats the very purpose of the serial number...

JBL numbers

For those of us who buy used JBL, I hope this is not a common prakis.

Quote Originally Posted by Eaulive View Post
    So now instead of having a driver with no serial number, you have a driver with a wrong serial number...

Sorry if I don't understand but it kinds of defeats the very purpose of the serial number...
    I understand your point, but I was seeing it from a slightly different POV.
    Instead of having two badly battered 2440's, I now have two nicely restored 2440's.
    OK, so one was missing a rear foilcal, but now it has been replaced with one from a driver that was trashed.
    Also, both have new 2441 diaphragms fitted, and have been tried and tested, and come up to spec.
    ... and I must stress the point, that the word deception, does not come into the equation.
    To me, the most important thing was that they both had badges.
    I'm not trying to pull the wool over anyone's eyes, proof being, I've been quite transparent of my intentions here on the forum and as a result, a very nice pair of 2440's have been resurrected and will be put to good use.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd View Post
    For those of us who buy used JBL, I hope this is not a common prakis.
    More common than you may think, but by some that are a lot more secretive than I.

Maron Horonzakz
    Replacing a lable,,diaphram,,push connectors or woofer cone,,is all in restoration,,I dont see anything wrong with that,, some people can be so anal..

Obsolete
    OK, here's my dilemma.

So what do I do?
    Get some nice badges made without serial numbers. No one has a record of any of those numbers anymore. Who cares about serial numbers? Are you guys using these things and listening to them or are you building sick, twisted little shrines complete with sequential serial numbers and candles? Hell, use LEFT as one "serial number" and RIGHT as the other "serial number" if you need to differentiate between the two drivers.

In fact, many of the components in pro product assemblies don't even have badges - just the component ID in white paint. I have 2426H and 2404H-1 drivers with the white paint ID.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Get some nice badges made without serial numbers. No one has a record of any of those numbers anymore. Who cares about serial numbers? Are you guys using these things and listening to them or are you building sick, twisted little shrines complete with sequential serial numbers and candles? Hell, use LEFT as one "serial number" and RIGHT as the other "serial number" if you need to differentiate between the two drivers.
    That's just being plain nasty.....
    Someone gave me FOUR 2440's on the proviso that I get two restored to really good condition, for which I get to keep two for my troubles.
    So the two that have been restored (so far) will be returned to the owner, and pro'ly get resold, and yes, they have their original badges.
    The other 'odd' pair will also get restored, and now thanks to the graciousness of another member here, I get to have two complete (including badges) drivers as well.
    Yes, I could've bought a brand new badge without a number for a premium, but I was lucky enough to get one that did, and more importantly, donated to my cause.
    BTW, I'm not really made of money as some are here, and everything I do, is always on an extremely low budget, but I sure got some great things to show for my tenacity.
    For a while I was feeling quite good about my progress, but I guess some of you guys just put an end to that.
    I apologise for bringing it up and offending some of you.....

Thread Information