Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Roger Waters of Pink Floyd - The Wall = Canned Music

I saw them play at an outdoor concert in Milwaukee Stadium in the early 70's but don't recall any plane crashes. But then, it was sort of a "lost weekend" and I probably missed a lot. This was before the Wish You Were Here and The Wall albums so there were probably no flying pigs yet.

I distinctly remember "Echoes" and in the state I was in, it seemed like all the fellow freaks in the audience were moving around the playing field in slow motion, stepping over lying bodies as if "dancing" to the music. Very eerie with the seagulls and all, and it left a lasting impression on this long-since reformed stoner.

I suspect the vocals were live but all the guitars, bass, drums, organ etc, were 100% canned which is unfortunate.

All canned? Not the show I went too

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Yes

Quote Originally Posted by robertbartsch View Post
    Question for sound engineers: Would playback of recorded music in a 20K seat hockey rink be much easier to reproduce than a live band playing "un-canned" music?
    While the answer to that is a yes, I would argue the biggest difference is the band, type of music and HOW LOUD THEY PLAY!
    Van Halen is notorious for bad sound because the guitar is louder in the singers mic than the singer. Pink Floyd has always been considered an engineers dream and for most the ultimate gig-- controlled, lush, separation between mics and great musicianship.
    The biggest difference in systems I have setup is a show featuring 'Theater in the Round' because the wave length starts from the same point and projects outward fairly evenly. Even empty stadiums sound pretty good with this setup.

What I don't understand, (and maybe current engineers can comment) is why do these new line arrays not sound as good as the older systems? I have seen some of the same acts under similar conditions including Genesis and Yes, and sorry but the sound ain't as good. In the case of Yes, their performance 30 years later was exactly the same including the poor backup vocals and the identical timing mistakes by Steve Howe on guitar--talk about consistency.

I seen Roger Waters 4 times in his last tour (Dark Side) best show i ever seen.Front row for 2 of those shows second row for one and first level for the other and I can tell you it sounded much better down in front of the stage.Here's a little video i shot of the Denver show.I have plenty of video of that show.Enjoy the video it gives me goosebumps every time i watch it. Carol Kenyon belting out the "Great Gig" I always love to see him do "Shine on you Crazy Diamond" which i have on Video as well,but not this time. I admit "The Wall" isn't my favorite Pink Floyd album.

I haven't seen the Wall yet but will very soon Front row and second row for the 2 shows I'm going to.Roger Waters friggin Rocks !! I think you may feel it is canned because much of the show is BEHIND the wall.

http://www.youtube.com/v/Tg5URUetTMM...</param><param
    "James B. Lansing" = Lansing Manufacturing ~ Altec Lansing ~ JBL

I just barely got tickets for his extra concert in Oslo on May 1st next year.

The whole ticket sale was done in two hours. They opened the ticket sale at 9 am, and when I got through on the web-site around 10.45, the only seats available was category 4 on an unannounced extra concert...

Will go with my brother and two of our long time friends - a real boys weekend in our capital
    Johnny Haugen Sørgård

Quote Originally Posted by Altec Best View Post
    Here's a little video i shot of the Denver show.I have plenty of video of that show.Enjoy the video it gives me goosebumps every time i watch it. Carol Kenyon belting out the "Great Gig"
    http://www.youtube.com/v/Tg5URUetTMM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param
    Amazing how well this music stands up after 40 years. Amazing how good it sounds captured on a low level cam. Dark Side is surely one of the greatest performances created on this planet.

Side note:
    When this came out a friend said to me of 'Great Gig in the Sky": 'A life long whore, born of misfortune and surviving through prostitution and drug abuse has died and is singing her soul out begging for redemption and a chance to go to heaven.'

Quote Originally Posted by Akira View Post
    Amazing how well this music stands up after 40 years. Amazing how good it sounds captured on a low level cam.
    Actually I shot it on a HP MZ67
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Showtime tonight, Boys & Girls !

Well went to my second show last night in Philly.I don't know how the acoustics in those other Venues are but at the Wachovia/Wells Fargo center they were Superb !!! I tried to get a look at the speakers but could not see a label or anything that would Identify them.Could be JBL's 15"-18" subs. The local radio station in Philly 93.3 WMMR said it was a Quadrophonic sound system. If you have a chance on seeing the show I highly recommend going.It will most likely be his last major tour as he is approaching 70 years of age,but still looks great and puts on one Heck of a show. Keep Rockin Roger "Your the Man" !!No doubt which ones "Pink" !! It takes 26 tractor trailers to move the 112 tons of equipment to city to city,no to mention the manpower,it's in the 200's !! There are 6 fulltime sound men on this tour. Thanks Roger & Band for a wonderful Show !!

Pink Floyd? How can you guys stay awake long enough to tell whatever it is that's going on; canned or not?

Rip van Winkle.

I first would suggest that you go to bed at night and then maybe you won't have trouble with falling a sleep !The post was for the Pink Floyd fans, since you are not. Why Bother posting Rip ? Your commenting on something you haven't even seen !

And what do you listen to ? I like all kinds of music ! Not just Pink Floyd.

Quote Originally Posted by Altec Best View Post
    And what do you listen to ? I like all kinds of music ! Not just Pink Floyd.

I listen alot to Anita O'Day, Sarah Vaughn, Johnny Hartman and stuff like that.

I also listen to movie scores by fellas like Korngold, Tiomkin and Rosza. And Show Tunes too.

Modern Pop music mostly 50s Rock and Roll and Doo-Wop, The Ramones and Thin Lizzy. Stuff that moves. And Madonna, I like Madonna. Been listening to that Lady GaGa too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Brennan View Post
    I listen alot to Anita O'Day, Sarah Vaughn, Johnny Hartman and stuff like that.

I also listen to movie scores by fellas like Korngold, Tiomkin and Rosza. And Show Tunes too.

Modern Pop music mostly 50s Rock and Roll and Doo-Wop, The Ramones and Thin Lizzy. Stuff that moves. And Madonna, I like Madonna. Been listening to that Lady GaGa too.
    Well I'm not too thrilled with some of those performers.But see that's what makes the world go around.

waters

I saw them in about 1977 at solders field (superbowl of rock) chicago. 5 Channel set up kicked. Animals tour. Rodger played out here this month wasn't about to pay 120+ a ticket unless it was the original band. Sounds like a good idea..
    Von Schweikert VR-8
    Canary Ref. 1 300B monoblocks. 300Bx16

Thread Information