Quote Originally Posted by pathfindermwd View Post
ok so I finally dug out an old amp, some old JVC receiver. Same thing, it pops. On the JVC I noticed that in loud mode the woofer movement is wild, talk about good vibrations...or err not so good. Given the inability of the JVC to control woofer excursion and the inevitable woofer popping, I think this might have something to do with an under-powered amp.

The NAD on the other hand is maybe a year old. I have not done a DC volt test on it because I am not sure how it is done. How can I test only one channel at a time with the positive and negative on the volt meter (I am going to feel stupid)? But I am kinda leary at the notion of it being a problem with the amp, my CF150's are the "B" channel and they never pop with the same power on the same music, even at 98db sensitivity (and that's brutal output for them). And they used to be switched around, so it shouldn't be that. Why is the notion that popping can occur not being readily acknowledged? Under what conditions is what I feel I am chasing, so I can perhaps address it.

The addition of the foam filter to the vented pole piece has greatly helped, I mean I really have to get toward abuse for it to pop now. I lean towards it being under-powering, though I know this cant be the whole story. These 2214's are kind of an interesting breed because they have a very deep cone. Is this design contributing to this? Does it cause some kind of instability at high excursion?

The ramblings of a mad-man!
Yeah, it makes you wonder it isn't the speakers but I am still thinking amp issue. It seems less to do with the actual amp than what kind of demands are made on the amp. Can you remove any signal processors, swap out interconnects and speaker wire? Try your JVC on a clear FM channel, neutral Bass Treble, with some short ordinary speaker wires, same with the interconnect, and see what happens.