Thread: Cabinet designs for 604 please

Cabinet designs for 604 please

Wondering if anyone could help me with my 604-8gs. I'm trying to design a cab for them. They need room to breathe rather than the 3.5 cf cab that they are in at the moment. Any help would be great. I'm looking for something creative and different. Somewhat toying around with throwing another 15 into the equation. Just looking for some ideas so if anyone could help and provide pics of their cabs i'd be interested! Thank you

Start here with the Altec Stonehenge cabinet. You might want to define what additional 15in driver and why.

http://home.earthlink.net/~jmarkwart...iles/3577a.pdf

A 604 with another 15 would need volume similar to a Urei 813: a big ugly box.

The helper woofer in that design really adds a lot of ooomph to the bottom and they do kick drums quite well.

For a nicer looking set-up though you might consider using the 604s in dedicated cabinets with a pair of good subs.

My 2¢

eso
    30Hz Bass Horns/K151, Custom mid bass & midrange horns/Cogent DS 1428 & 1448 field coil drivers, Fostex T925a tweeters.

I have several of the 604-8g's in action in my 7.1. Just listened to them about 3 minutes ago. I used the 620a cabinet for 4 of them and love it! Great cab! I have a very large room so they work fine. But they are 9cuft and very very big! But with big comes bass. Any box design, make sure it is braced braced braced! If a box flexes, kiss the bass bye bye

Are you looking for big or small cabs. Some friends of mine have used a 4.3 cuft box with good results.

-G

I was thinking something along the lines of the urei design...but im not 100 percent about the additional 15inch. i was thinking about 515 but i know they got expensive real quick. I just got rid of my cornwalls so now I have some real estate. I'm not a fan of the stonehenge design. I currently have them in pair of Big Red cabs but really want to give them room to breathe. 9 cu ft is what I'm going for. The 620 design intrigued me but I'm not too sure just yet. It seems as a safe bet but I just don't know yet. I also took a look at billforts design and was inspired...so many choices...sorry if i have become annoying

Quote Originally Posted by kn8243 View Post
    ...but im not 100 percent about the additional 15inch. i was thinking about 515 but i know they got expensive real quick...
    The 515 would be fairly redundant, and those are best in the midbass region that the 604 already has covered. For a "Helper Woofer" like the Urei designs the original, A & B series used what looks like an OEM driver from Eminance. They were cheesy with a stamped frame and not a lot of motor, but they do put out. The earliest ones had a dual 4 Ohm voice coil, where the later version was 8 Ohms IIRC.

In the C series after JBL bought Urei they used a 2235 in that role I believe. I'm sure if I'm wrong one of the JBL pro driver experts here will correct me in short order.

The Urei woofers show up fairly often and are reasonable prices, the JBL drivers are a bit more rare and are pricier.

So, if you want the extra 15, the driver I'd suggest is one that is built for bass, not a sweet mid like the 515.

eso
    30Hz Bass Horns/K151, Custom mid bass & midrange horns/Cogent DS 1428 & 1448 field coil drivers, Fostex T925a tweeters.

Quote Originally Posted by eso View Post
    So, if you want the extra 15, the driver I'd suggest is one that is built for bass, not a sweet mid like the 515.

Exactly a 416 would be a better woofer for a combo with a 604. How about an Altec 4061.

http://www.altecpro.com/pdfs/vintage...%20Speaker.pdf
    "James B. Lansing" = Lansing Manufacturing ~ Altec Lansing ~ JBL

Thread Information