Quote Originally Posted by Steve71 View Post
Sure you can, but since it's done in the digital domain, it's unless for setting up correct gain structure (unless you already happen to be in the ball park). IE it does nothing to reduce the noise the DRPA adds to the chain.
Obviously it's in the digital domain. And, there is nothing you can do about the unit "noise" - if you're using that unit, you accept it's offerings.

Dood - I don't have the manual in front of me, but memory serves there is +/-12 dB on each band pass, allowing a 24 dB relative gain differential between band passes. That should be plenty? I sincerely doubt few systems are so far "out of the ball park" that this would not be enough. dbx aren't dummies in this. I was merely pointing out that your comment was limited in it's scope - it did not acknowledge there is ample gain accommodation, by band pass, available on-board.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve71 View Post
And while the auto EQ function is far from perfect, it's not a bad starting point.
Bad starting point, and bad idea. If one is embarking into this arena, you are accepting the responsibility of needing a greater understanding of what is going on, and should learn how to work with the acoustic animal you are facing. Get some proper measurement equipment and knowledge - neither is too expensive nor arduous. You can get a LOT more out of this unit by limiting it's auto-functions. That said, I merely know how to run them - I run into them frequently, but own zero of these.