Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: DBX Driverack PA

ummmmmm yes. I would normally use 80, 800, 8000. 1600 crossover point creates a big hole considering the max usable frequency of 1200 for the 2225, I may be wrong. 800 hz is the norm and in fact many JBL systems crossover at 500.

Allan.

The system he described was a three way system. The low frequency point coming out of the 2240 going in to the 2225 give or take around a 100hz is a good starting point. The 2225 was rated out to 2000hz, granted out that high it's starting to beam. 1200hz to 1600hz would work and give the driver some extra power handling for a PA system use. The type of horn on the driver would also have a bearing on the crossover frequency used.
    I''m also assuming that the 2240's and 2225's direct loaded reflex type cabinets.

My gut feeling is that that system also had other issues as well!!

Quote Originally Posted by Allanvh5150 View Post
    The last time I used one of these in a SR situation...
    All too often they are deployed poorly in SR. I always go straight to the DSP and start paging through the settings to see what's "in my way". More often than not, like you say, Allan, common sense is not given enough credence.

Typically, I see well intentioned set-ups that the on-site system guy has no or little involvement in, or understanding of - there have been times an outdoor "program" is being used in a shed or tent. There was no measurement gear being used during system tuning. No, or wrong, group delay. Yikes... And they freak if I start editing. I explain my thoughts, save their settings one-more-time for good measure, and start editing - quickly - 'cause it's got to be done during our staging. Invariably, after our set, they ask me to save my config so they can use it in future.

Like you say, these are powerful devices, but the SR realm is a wasteland of bad execution. It's all about physics...

And lets not forget about "Auto EQ"

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Caldwell View Post
    Auto EQ is not bad but one has to check what its trying to do and confirm the results.
    Sometimes at crossover points there are some disturbances created by uneven delays and trying to EQ this often gives worst results than letting them be.
    If the auto EQ wants to give a sharp boost or cut near crossover frequencies, beware.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Caldwell View Post
    Oh but I think we should, in fact, I did.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Have any of you worked with "engineers" who could quote the spec's of any piece of equipment from the last ten years from memory, then when it came down to mixing time produced a mix that sounded like a dog mixed it with earmuffs and mittens on?
    I come back to this thread every once and a while.... just like picking a scab that's not ready to come off....
    I'm just not getting how somebody could spend the money on Krell, and Passlabs...understanding their quality...then put a Driverack in between them....
    The best audio paths have the fewest things in them.....if you're almost out of things to argue about gain wise, try measuring how long it takes for the original signal to make it through a Driverack....if you really pay attention to the details and get over this gain BS, you would realize what a piece of crap this unit is. Think "digital delay"...

And if I know the answer to that question, what in your mind does that make me? A technogeek hamfisted mix masher with cloth ears?

I haven't had a DRPA for years, but if I remember correctly, the latency of that unit with all the programmable signal delay turned off is 1.4ms. I measured it myself.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Rinkerman View Post
    Have any of you worked with "engineers" who could quote the spec's of any piece of equipment from the last ten years from memory, then when it came down to mixing time produced a mix that sounded like a dog mixed it with earmuffs and mittens on?
    I come back to this thread every once and a while.... just like picking a scab that's not ready to come off....
    I'm just not getting how somebody could spend the money on Krell, and Passlabs...understanding their quality...then put a Driverack in between them....
    The best audio paths have the fewest things in them.....if you're almost out of things to argue about gain wise, try measuring how long it takes for the original signal to make it through a Driverack....if you really pay attention to the details and get over this gain BS, you would realize what a piece of crap this unit is. Think "digital delay"...
    The driverack is a piece of equipment with a purpose. If everyone went for the minimal length audio path, we would still be using Edisons original phonograph.

Allan.

Quote Originally Posted by Allanvh5150 View Post
    ...we would still be using Edisons original phonograph
    Which would actually sound better than some of the crap systems people cobble together these days, but I digress...

Got mine a couple of days ago, no noise problem so far and the pop/surge that was audible and destructive with the driverack PA is completely solved in the driverack PA+, and I got mute buttons to boot

I will report if any noise is heard when I connect my more sensitive speakers.

Thread Information