Thread: Lets all keep Rich busy this winter

Lets all keep Rich busy this winter

This is a follow on from the B7W DM70 query that Rich posted where he seemed to take a probably unhealthy interest in electrostatic HF
    I replied thus :

I think you should Google ' diy electrostatic loudspeakers ' plenty of info there.

BE CAREFUL ___ HIGH VOLTAGES !!! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED !!!!!!!!!!

having said that in essence they are really simple in concept , it is just the implementation that is tricky.
    Here is a potentially simpler and safer plan , there are some really powerful permanent magnets available now ( NEO ) www.emagnets.co.uk. Look at Apoggee Magneplanar etc and see how they are done , spend 20 quid on some flat bar mags and some mylar metalised film or window alarm tape etc and make yourself a tweet. I'll fetch you from the funny farm in a year or two but at least you will not have frizzy hair and eyes like this

Well this should whet the appetite somewhat. It is a pic of a speaker that was produced in Nederlands by philips , however they used JBL bass drivers but here is the interesting bit , the HF is a horn loaded ribbon. New magnet technology makes this an entirely feasible method for HF.
    Now I know a fair bit about these but Rich you gotta get busy and start digging around the web and then once you have learned a thing or two you should be able to build your own ribbon drivers for less than a night in the pub.
    Mac

Name:  PhilipsVN3100-25-1.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  70.5 KB

Maybe this is scottish humour

But this is a Stage Accompany Mid/High Ribbon.

Okay, I'll play some ( hope I don't spoil all your fun ) .

See this thread on StageAccompany ribbon drivers for some insights into the product mentioned .

<> cheers

ps ; I see that Guido has already let the cat out of the bag ;0)

Earl , Guido , please ! Shhhh

BTW Earl I just got some clean 2206's for the SR project , boxes with the 15's sound great but they are a little bulky

Duckin Web !

I'm up to my eyeballs in it .... I think Guido is sitting with a glass of wine listening to his Veeeeenal collection having a dam good chuckle while I search the WEb for vertical , 4 pin ,through hole, bridge rectifiers with non existing bloody values .....

For a couple of years I've been dropping huge hints about wanting a Pass amp , thinking he would give in and build me one SILLY BLOODY ME ! On my last visit he comes out of his work shop with a evil grin on his face and a hand full of fets ( matched though .... he has a little bit of a heart) and capacitors ... then takes me to a pc where I order the pcb's And to rub the salt in . I have sit at his place a watch Germany roger England silly in the world cup ....... So, I order heatsinks custom cut to order .... nah, I didn't ask for help did I ? now I have 4 matching Friggin door stops worth more than its going to cost me to build this amp .... So, don't you bloody dare talk to me about THE WEB If you want to have a good laugh at my expense join the F'in Cue ....
    X

Regardless

With your costructional abilities and artistic bent , Elton , you can do this and it need not cost much at all. Even better the thrill of making your very own tweet for 10 quid and the magic of it making its very own first noise.
    Grab the nettle big guy , its fun. I'll find your stinking rectifier send me the ratings. I have chums in that line of work.

Go look up the highly rated Decca London ribbon tweet. It had very low ribbon Z hence needed a matching transformer to mate with the valve amps of the day BUT it did have horn matching to the sonic environment.

Peter ... you will know about this.

Kids Stuff Mate !

Mac,

I'm thinking super tweeter for the noc offs . Townsend make em 400 each !

Once I have burned enough skin away with this rather good German soldering iron Im gonna work for NASA .

On the serious side ......" FEILD COIL WOOFs Dear Mac " for my knock offs !

oh ! and more thing , why is this Diotec semi-conductor 1.15 euro in Germany and 1. 72 sterling here ?
    I hate this shitty theivin country ! There must be away to order from the German site , Conrad Electronics..... ?

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by richluvsound View Post
    oh ! and more thing , why is this Diotec semi-conductor 1.15 euro in Germany and 1. 72 sterling here ?
    I hate this shitty theivin country ! There must be away to order from the German site , Conrad Electronics..... ?

Rich

http://www.conrad-uk.com/

Close !

Hi Guido,

I was hoping there was a way I could order from the German site . Is there are translated version
    on the Conrad . de site ? 80 % less expensive than the English site .....

TIA, uF

Max Townsend OMG is he still on the go.

Thread Information