Thread: JBL control 5 C5 horn diy modification

JBL 4645

JBL control 5 C5 horn diy modification

I was reading an interesting thread that Zilch started a few years ago, “JBL diy mini” I thought the project versions looked rather cool and while being a quiet Sunday, I was realigning my Pioneer CLD1750 laserdisc player as it’s a bit tricky on start up sometimes with tracking laser.

Well its now almost midnight, and for the past few hours I’ve been cutting out the centre part of the piezo horn to make it fit the JBL C5 tweeter driver. So far so, good it fitted except for how do I screw the tweeter driver to the plastic casing??

Well I managed to get part of assembled and seem to remember talking to Zilch about this, months ago in post or pm?

I think you, said unquote “if it was taped to the horn, it might work”?

Well I’ve tapped it up with a few meters to make sure it won’t come undone unless viscously pulled apart.

Soon as I placed the parts together I noticed with pink noise the tone increasing by a few db.

Does it work, well sound comes out of it! I tested it on the RTA with the centre channel first and ran a STAR TREK II The Wrath of Khan “Khannn! Khannn! Khannn!” The tone sounds okay not sure about how well it radiators, since I’ve only got one working at the moment, on the centre channel.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

JBL 4645
    Well now I have to finish the remaining two and block-up the hole on the control 5 where the tweeter driver was placed. Looks like I’ll be at this, for at least another 5 or 8 hours.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

JBL 4645
    Listening to some Ennio Morricone, music this morning stating with “Chi mai” and then the opening tittles to “The Untouchables” the diy like JBL horns with the JBL C5 tweeter can at times sound a bit harsh or pleasant depending on the EQ setting which is set-up near flat. I’ve heard louder highs on the JBL at the Empire Leicester Square front row that pinned my ears back!

Playing this back in (mono) from the stereo mix, as the SPL db only captures a mono sound into the pc directly.

The lows are captured nicely without boomy distortion! The SPL db meter can handle it fairy well depending SPL db range setting and the level of the sound in the room. The SPL db was set at 80dbc. It’s the high end of the strings around 2KHz to 4KHz that’s beaming into my ears, I’d rather enjoy at lesser level as too much highs (at high SPL db) is not good for the ear.

Variable resistor !

Ash,

Pretty inexpensive experiment really ...... just order it from Maplins or RS Components.

Get some sand paper ,roll it around a pencil and you have a good file to clean up the throat !

Rich

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by richluvsound View Post
    Ash,

Pretty inexpensive experiment really ...... just order it from Maplins or RS Components.

Get some sand paper ,roll it around a pencil and you have a good file to clean up the throat !

Rich
    I might just do that and get some next week from Maplin Electronics. I was wondering how to make the throat smother?

Cheers Rich

Edit: I was just thinking a Metal Filer would do the job!

Thread Information