I have recently chosen to bi-amp my 4333A's and I am experiencing a problem that I think originates with my crossover set-up.

The problem I am experiencing is that the two speaker units are not playing equally (one channel or the other occasionally seems to not be receiving much of a signal). It seems to happen most often with the low frequency drivers.

Okay so here is what I am using:

JBL 4333A's
Ashly XR-1001 crossover
McIntosh C504 pre-amp
Dynaco ST70 (35wpc tube amp) for the mid & high frequency drivers
McIntosh MC2255 (250 wpc solid state amp) for the low frequency - 2231's
Pioneer CD/DVD player

I connected the CD player to the pre-amp with RCA cables. The pre-amp is then connected to the crossover with RCA cables by using RCA to 1/4" adapters at the crossover. The crossover is connected to each of the two amps by RCA cables again by using RCA to 1/4" adapters at the crossover.

Since the McIntosh amp has meters I can actually see that the signals to the left and right speakers are occasionally not equal. And here is what is perplexing... if I fiddle with the crossover, including just slightly tweaking the output level of either channel, it typically corrects the problem... for a while.

Has anyone ever experienced something like this?

I am a newbie as regards external crossovers so I am wondering if I am making some kind of lame-brained newbie error here.

If anyone can help me here I would be grateful for the assistance.