Thread: Altec Lansing Model 15 Speakers?

Altec Lansing Model 15 Speakers?

I have a set of Altec Lansing model 15 cabinets. They don't have grills and the woofers are not worth refoaming I don't think. Everything else is there. Are they worth refurbishing or should I forget it? I got them for free a few years ago for helping a friend move. Anyone with info on these can e-mail me at [email protected]. Thanks

Some good pictures would help. Replacement grilles are available. Refurbished could be worth $500-1000.

Quote Originally Posted by FPS View Post
    I have a set of Altec Lansing model 15 cabinets. They don't have grills and the woofers are not worth refoaming I don't think. Everything else is there. Are they worth refurbishing or should I forget it? I got them for free a few years ago for helping a friend move. Anyone with info on these can e-mail me at [email protected]. Thanks
    Heck yes they are worth refurbishing. If you want a bit of legacy Altec sound. The woofers are not that much to R&R at Great Plains Audio. If the compression drivers diaprhagms are original that may set you back some more. The leads to the voice coil bend at 90 degrees and have a tendancy to break with time. If original they are the same as used in big brother the Model 19.

It has been a lonnngggg time since I heard them. What I remember is that they are lively, punchy, up front imaging, but they can give your ears a morning hang over if you spend a long evening with them.

Then again, if you don't feel like the trouble you can sell off the compression drivers and trash the rest.
    David F
    San Jose

I just aquired 2 pair of these, while the drivers all need refoamed and mabye reconed, 1 needs reconed for sure but should I have them all reconed while I'm doing all of this?? everything is all original and they all work...I hooked them up just to make sure they were still working...2 of the speaker boxes got water damaged on the bottoms and will need some work, where do I find any info on these boxes so I can put them back to their original state?? Where is the best place to find materials to recone and replace the surrounds?? 2 of the speaker cabinets are in great shape and just need some light oil to make them look sharp again, while the other 2 will need some work! I'm wanting to get these back to their original state and give them a listen, if they aren't up to par then I will go from there.....any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thread Information