Thread: How best to hook up the 2245?

How best to hook up the 2245?

Greetings, All,

I was playing around today, getting ready to move some cabinets, and get the two 4645 boxes ready to house my pair of 2245's, and suddenly realized that the polarity setup is different with the 2245! Postive to the black terminal, gives forward motion to the cone. Ok, comes the dawn...... But, for those of you who have used the 2245 before, do you run the cabinet red wire to the black terminal on the 2245, and the cabinet black wire to the red terminal, then hook up the speaker wire as you would normally in back of the enclosure, red to red, and black to black? And if that's not right, please help my figure this one out. I'm now puzzled, as to which way is the best way to hook this woofer up, both inside and outside of the enclosure!! Guess I'm having a foggy moment....... Your help on this would be appreciated! Going back to the corner, now..... and putting on my "Dunce" cap!! Thanks, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Hi Doc;

I always make my external connections so that red or posative gives forward cone motion, or a posative spike on an impulse test, for all drivers. That way when I hook anything up I don't have to depend on what's left of my memory to get it right.

Last but not least, if someone other than me hooks it up, it follows conventional wisdom and they will likely (hopefully) get it right.

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Hey, Barry,

OUTSTANDING!! That's just what I was hoping someone would say, and I thank you for being that someone!! I was thinking the same way you are, and imagining the confusion if someone else had to connect, or disconnect this system, for some reason, if I wasn't there. So, my thanks for letting me know I was on the right track. Much appreciated, and I will proceed as you advise, as that was what I, too, had in mind. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Evening, Barry, and All,

OK, got the 4645's loaded with the 2245's, and in place, but still need to cobble up some speaker wire for them. I've got a very long bit of Monster Cable, and am going to cut that in half, add some spade connectors to it, then get the amp and crossover ready to hook up. Right now, I just want to get those 2245's up and running, so they can begin to break in, after Edgewound did his magic on them, with refoam, dust cap, and new spider on each woofer. Right now, I've got to get back to work, but, should be able to hook up the subs to the L300's in the next few days, and then see how it all sounds. I noticed one interesting thing today, though: One of the 4645 boxes had my 2242 in it, and before I removed it, I gave a light tap on the cone of that big behemoth of an 18" JBL, noting the tone produced. Then, having already loaded one of the 2245's into the other 4645 cabinet, I gave it the same light tap, and noted it's tone, as well. The 2245 had a much deeper "thump" than did the 2242. I'm guessing a heavier cone, and lower FA resonance. I am really tickled at finally being able to fire up the 4645/2245 combination, then let it run for a few weeks, whilst working on getting the other parts together, so I can add in the 10", 2445J, and 2405 to each side, and finally hear how all that sounds!!! It's taken a very long time to get to this place, gathering different bits of gear, reading all the great info on LH, and asking tons of questions. Lots of tweaking to come, I'm guessing, but hey, tonight was a major step forward, small though it probably seems to most of you! Fun!! Thanks, again, for all the great suggestions and comments you all have offered in the year(s) that this system has been kicking around on my "to do" list!! More later, after the subs are up and running. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

You're indeed welcome.

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Thread Information