Thread: Making L100T grills

Making L100T grills

Hello folks, I need to come up with grills for my L100t's. Haven't found any online, and got advice from Slare to post here. If I could get a picture of the back side of a grill, I could import that into my 3d cad software and make a template that would allow me to accurately re-create them.

I also need to know how far the grills stand off from the cabinet, and how far the pins protrude from the grill frame.

if anyone has an intact L100T grill, I'd appreciate the help.

peace,

Tim O

Thank you Mr. Grumpy. if you do end up taking a pic, I think it would work best if you put the grill on the floor with the back side up and position the camera center as perpendicular as possible. that would give me a "plan" view with no hysteresis, best for accuracy.

peace,

Tim O

larger diameter portion of standoff is 5/8" long, smaller portion is about the same again, rounded
    on the end.

1.125" ... CL of pins to side and bottom edge, 1.5" from pin CL to top edge.

Name:  IMG_0886r.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  543.3 KBName:  IMG_0890r.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  272.6 KBName:  IMG_0893r.jpg
Views: 531
Size:  319.9 KBName:  IMG_0885r.jpg
Views: 588
Size:  282.0 KB

bump. BTW, the top pic is upside down.
    (section with smaller pin spacing and 4 beveled inner corners goes up)

Smile L100T grill template

I've finally gotten around to taking Grumpy's pic and massaging it into a rough draft of a template.

I used Photoshop to correct keystone and angle problems. wasn't perfect but I think I got pretty close. Imported that into Vectorworks (my 3d drawing program). I can make this file available in native format, .dxf, and .dwg formats if necessary, or virtually any image format.

the pdf's are all 24 x 36, a standard size that anyone can print at Kinkos. If you tell the kinkos service person NO SIZING/SCALING it should reproduce correctly; use the scale bar to make sure. if their printer can't print to the edge of the sheet, just allow the border to get chopped off.

as I said, this is a rough draft, and I know a few things are off, such as the standoff placements. I'll make sure those get fixed once I'm convinced the other dims are correct. If Grumpy or anyone else has a chance to verify some of the dimensions here, especially the outer dims, it would help me further the accuracy of this drawing. oh, and how thick is the grill? I know there's a ridge along the back surface, but I'm not going to worry about that, nor am I going to worry too much about the width of the frame pieces as long as the overall dims are correct. it looked like the top and bottom horizontal pieces were of different width, but I don't think that's going to matter a whole lot in the grand scheme of things. basically my intention is to get the grills made and improve the WAF. Hopefully someone else will find the finished template of some use.

I included a pdf of the drawing and the pic superimposed, just to give an idea of the process.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I can measure grille thickness tonight. Keep in mind that the straight-on shot is
    not without perspective distortion (was not taken infinitely far away ...note the
    grille pins point slightly away from the center in the photo) so the frame perimeter
    (while not being terribly important) is probably not traceable with good accuracy.
    I'll check to see if it is the same all around for grins.

grills

I realized right away that it wasn't going to be perfect. It will take a few seconds to tweak the overall dimension once we verify from the actual grill. at that point I'll make a print, measure the 1.5 and 1.25 " and place the template directly on the front of my speaker where I think it should go. Marking the holes and measuring any difference between reality and the drawing, I'll update the drawing to guarantee accurate placement. If I had to guess right now I'd say my overall dimensions are a bit too small.

I've found a few places online to get acoustically transparent cloth, now the final hurdle remains to find the standoffs. I also found this place, http://www.speakerworks.com/Custom_W...ill_p/cgw1.htm
    that makes custom grills. a crude frame of this size would cost $ 32 each!!! no beveled edge, no center cross member, no triangular reinforcing pieces, but what a price!!!

I also need to figure out what to make the frame from. The easiest thing to do will be to take a big sheet of whatever and cut out the shape with a jigsaw. I'm thinking 1/2" birch plywood.

peace,

Tim Olson

frame perimeter thickness: 1" sides and bottom, 1.25" top
    (measured at back of frame).

grille stand off from -wood- surface: just shy of 3/4" (maybe by a 1/32")
    subtract the in-cab 'socket' thickness from that to determine a standoff length.

grille thickness, front to back: 9/16"

grille inner edge is rounded over and angled (~60deg), narrower at the
    grille front surface (no hard edge for cloth to deform over when pushed in).

I think that just about does it, if you could you give me a quick overall L + W dimension I should be ready to start buying stuff to make the project after I return from a trip this weekend.

peace,

Tim O

23 3/8" x 15 5/8"

Thread Information