Quote Originally Posted by Mctwins View Post
Ok, I understand about using the active x-over. Still don't understand why you remove the passive x-over in the speakers. You won't get any benificial improvment by removing the passive and trying to set an new settngs for the transducers with your own settings. You can use the prePEQ for setting the overall tone to your liking. I asume that you are bi-amping, you can still bi-amp the speakers with the 260 together with the passive x-over. My opinion, you are messing with the wrong speakers, a speaker that is allready tuned to perform the best. If you wan't to go with "true" bi-amping system then choose a speaker that dosen't have any passive x-overs, like the M2 or any other PA system.

I don't know how you are measureing to come to any conclusion for the best settings. If you are measurening in your room, then I say, good luck with that. You have to measure either in anechoic chamber or outdoor to set the x-over point and so on.

About your SPL curve and closed box, it has nothing to do with your speakers, it is all room dependent. You still don't know if the room modes is playing tricks for you here. This has to be measurerd (acoustic room measurement) and confirmed and treated before mixing with speakers x-over, closed-open bassports or bi-amping.

My 4429 has no dark sound.

I will hold my breath for the moment and see what you come up with.
You have a kind of negative approach, but thanks for the input anyway
I agree to some of what you are saying, in theory. In practice though, for my case, I am sorry to say that you are plain wrong! The sound now with the active crossover is many many times better than before (subjectively to me). It is not an small improvement. I can not see that I will go to plan B (passive x-over and only prePEQ for setting tone) at the moment.
4365 is voiced for the Japanese market, and is sounding a bit to bright to me out-of-the-box. Very different to 4429, as I wrote before.
I have the voltage-drive diagram and anechoic chamber measurements from the original 4365. So I can mimic that voltage drive pretty much exactly, if I should want to.
I will post settings and measurements later on.
I did not say 4429 has dark sound. You misinterpreted what I wrote.
I do not care how the speaker sounds in an anechoic chamber. I care how it sounds in my listening position! I know room acoustics plays a big part, and now I will tame some of that "for free" with this dsp-solution. I only reduce gain with PEQ in lower regions, not trying to add power to cancellations.
When I measure for crossover settings, I do it from 1m with the speaker as far away from wall as possible. I know this is not optimal, but the best I can do for now.
It is very funny to experiment with crossover-Hz, slopes and so on, and hear the differences it makes. Right now I am on Linkwitz-Riley 24Db at 820Hz, that sounds subjectively best to me. I know Goophy ended up at 850Hz. The standard crossover is at 750Hz, with a not so steep slope.