Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Custom TAD-JBL Studio Monitors

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post
    I am all for it, use the BEST tools you can afford. It definitely makes a difference. I also have a POWERMATIC table saw. I plan to get myself a FESTOOL Router, and a Plunge Cut Saw, too!

Besides audio, I am a TOOL WHORE too!
    Hah, me too!

Quote Originally Posted by dangerisland View Post
    Those are beauties! I'm preparing to build a similar system. I've got a 1601bs (2), TD-4001s, TH-4001s, and the same TN-4 that you have. I'd love to hear about your box dimensions, port specs, etc. Especially if you're happy with the result! I'm considering using a pair of JBLs to cover the sub-range just as you have. So, I'd really like to pick your brain for obvious reasons. If you've already moved onto another DIY project and have lost the gumption to discuss this one - no problem. I understand.
    I'm pleased to have discovered a new JBL fan neighbor. You wouldn't happen to be associated with mfsl? Sorry for going off topic.

Quote Originally Posted by dangerisland View Post
    Those are beauties! I'm preparing to build a similar system. I've got a 1601bs (2), TD-4001s, TH-4001s, and the same TN-4 that you have. I'd love to hear about your box dimensions, port specs, etc. Especially if you're happy with the result! I'm considering using a pair of JBLs to cover the sub-range just as you have. So, I'd really like to pick your brain for obvious reasons. If you've already moved onto another DIY project and have lost the gumption to discuss this one - no problem. I understand.Attachment 55073
    Hi Danger,

Sounds like a great project.

As for mine, the exact dimensions are given in the thread below. It roughly works out to 5 cu. ft. for each woofer. The ports are tuned to 28 Hz on top and 24 Hz on the bottom. I used 4" Precision Ports (four per speaker cabinet) cut to length.

In the intervening year and a half, the speakers have undergone a few changes, some of which are documented in other threads on this site. But to re-cap, I:

a) replaced the JBL woofers with TAD speakers: 1601c (very rare!) on top and 1601b on the bottom. This required routing the recesses a bit.

b) moved the TN-4 crossover from the inside and mounted it on the rear. Also, I beefed up the internal bracing after freeing up some room.

c) replaced the passive internal high-pass crossover (used on the bottom 15s) with an external active Ashley XR-1001 used for low pass only at a 50Hz crossover point. This is connected to a large Krell power amp. I'm using a tubed Air Tight ATM-2 (run full range) on the tops (i.e., to the TN-4). All are driven by a Pass Labs XP-20 preamp.

d) replaced all wiring with Kimber Cable 8TC.

e) added TAD ET-703 super tweeters with a custom crossover. These replace a pair of Tonian Labs ribbon tweeters I've had in place for the past 14 months. I'm still dialing the ET-703s in, but their potential is clear.

As the above makes clear, I have definitely not moved on! Particularly after a buddy helped dial the subs in with an audio analyzer, it is hard to emphasize the quality of sound I'm getting. Suffice to say that my audiophile friends who have auditioned them claim this is the best system they have ever heard. Not to tout my own horn, but I have yet to hear a more resolving system. I hope this helps.

Jerry

Outstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by hatrack71 View Post
    Hah, me too!

I have the saw and track .... router will have to wait till my other one dies . Worth every penny !

I can just say that I would like to have you as my close friend and not far from where I live!!! Great build and high knowledge!

Jerry,
    Those are fantastic! You mention you used a resin clone horn. How did you do that or did you buy them?
    Thanks,
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Champster View Post
    Jerry,
    Those are fantastic! You mention you used a resin clone horn. How did you do that or did you buy them?
    Thanks,
    Paul
    Yup. also interested here. Has anyone made resin copies, and we're not aware of ? ;-)

Lee

All,

Thanks again for the nice comments. I very much enjoyed building and, more importantly, listening to these speakers. The horns were made by a very prominent member of this forum. I will let him come forward, if he chooses.

As the result of a move from upstate NY to SW Florida, I sold the TADs to a friend. Some of the components have made their way to other forum members. I decided to try a different route: I purchased a new pair of Magico S5 speakers. Needles to say, this is a much different approach. And I am loving them so far.

Best,

Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by jerry_rig View Post
    All,

Thanks again for the nice comments. I very much enjoyed building and, more importantly, listening to these speakers. The horns were made by a very prominent member of this forum. I will let him come forward, if he chooses.
    Fair enough is suppose. I sure would like to hear more about their construction rather than the absolute merits of the similarity to TAD's design.

As the result of a move from upstate NY to SW Florida, I sold the TADs to a friend. Some of the components have made their way to other forum members. I decided to try a different route: I purchased a new pair of Magico S5 speakers. Needles to say, this is a much different approach. And I am loving them so far.
    I'll bet you're loving them! I have always appreciated the Magico build approach. Their commitment to resonant free cabinetry is matched by very few manufacturers in high end audio. I would, however, have liked to see you step up to the the Ultimate III... LOL

Paul

Thread Information