Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Custom TAD-JBL Studio Monitors

Great work, I bet the combo of the 2234, 2235 sounds great. I love the dual 2234's in my 4435's. What tuning/volume did you use for each?

AL

Again, thanks to everyone. Both chambers are tuned to 30Hz. It's very hard to tell when they both kick in -- a good thing, I think.

Your wood shop looks like an operating room! Oh by the way your speakers look great to!

Those look fantastic! I'd love to hear them... The combination of drivers is one I have considered and it looks like you have exploited really nice design ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by jerry_rig View Post
    . . . . The image is better focused and stable with just one (the 2234H) running up to the 800Hz crossover point . . . .
    My experience also with the woofers paralleled in a two-stack arrangement. There is also audibly improved clarity and definition when only one woofer plays to the horn (I'm using 1400nd's). With an MTM arrangement it is slightly better, but in a rather small area. Paralleled drivers have to be operating in full acoustic coupling mode to avoid a blurring effect, which masks the beryllium benefit, and in my experience that is not easy to achieve, and is impossible at the necessary crossover frequency with the woofers separated by a horn of that size. Side-by-side woofers in a two-way ala Augsburger create a footprint that is awkward in a living space, for me anyway, and big heavy speakers that need to be elevated. They also need to be toed in and carefully aimed at the listening position, not a livingroom-friendly form. Your format choice is probably the best one.

Nice work on the cabinets. Your workshop and mine are in different galaxies. Where's all the stuff?

There is stuff all around:
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Truly awesome speakers and extremely nice shop, wow! I am gearing up for a similar project this winter and yours has me inspired now. Only issue I have is my shop is no way even close to yours.

One question, any plans for a pair of grills?

Yank
    Basement: JBL SVA-1800 and 2226H DIY Enclosures Computer room: Control-5:Control SB-2 Living room: JBL 240ti

Nice job.
    Why did you use 4003 and no 4001?

Quote Originally Posted by felixx View Post
    Why did you use 4003 and no 4001?
    The TAD TD-4003 is a level above the TD-4001 (or 4002). I wanted the best and originally tried to go with JBL 476Be drivers. But I'm happy with this setup ;-)

Grills are coming soon! I have some beige JBL cloth I'll try first. Pics to follow.

Excellent Job! Love the look and choice of veneers. I would die for the speakers or the shop! Don't you jusy Love enjoying the fruits of your labor!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jerry_rig View Post
    The TAD TD-4003 is a level above the TD-4001 (or 4002). I wanted the best and originally tried to go with JBL 476Be drivers. But I'm happy with this setup ;-)

Grills are coming soon! I have some beige JBL cloth I'll try first. Pics to follow.
    Hi Jerry,

I am kinda in the same boat.

You haver done a really good job here. If possible and (when you get a moment) can you post some drawings.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    If possible and (when you get a moment) can you post some drawings.
    Hi Ian,

Here they are. In the diagrams, the blue panels are 3/4" MDF. The others are 3/4" birch ply, except for the inside front baffle, which is 1/2" ply. The upper divide -- just below the horn -- has cutouts (12" x 6") in order to accommodate the crossovers and to increase the volume of the upper bass driver chamber. When viewed from above, it looks like an "I". If was putting the crossovers outside (or running active) I would drill several large holes instead. Bracing is not shown, but every large panel has 4" wide plywood braces spanning the facing panel. All panels are glued together using multiple clamps. All joints are glued as well. Except for the rear access panels, there are no screws or nails used. Thanks for asking!

Jerry
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Caldwell View Post
    Your wood shop looks like an operating room! Oh by the way your speakers look great to!
    I agree with Mike 100%. Beautiful speakers! I think the rosewood and black horns look great together. Your operating room shop makes me feel a bit guilty. My shop looks like something you would see on an episode of the Hoarders.

such a beauty!

good job!

Willing to share more by chance?

Those are beauties! I'm preparing to build a similar system. I've got a 1601bs (2), TD-4001s, TH-4001s, and the same TN-4 that you have. I'd love to hear about your box dimensions, port specs, etc. Especially if you're happy with the result! I'm considering using a pair of JBLs to cover the sub-range just as you have. So, I'd really like to pick your brain for obvious reasons. If you've already moved onto another DIY project and have lost the gumption to discuss this one - no problem. I understand.Name:  TADs-arrive-crop.jpg
Views: 3411
Size:  121.5 KB

Thread Information