Thread: Inductors and Resistors

Inductors and Resistors

Hello

Forgive me if some of these questions were gone over before. I do use and have used the search engine.

I am doing some research to rebuild the crossovers in a pair of L166 and L300 based on the bandpass circuit located here.

After doing some research on the resistors I am trying to decide on some quality resistors. I was looking at the Dayton DNR resistors. There is no problem getting the values for the L166. For the L300 I can not find the watt value. The highest I can seem to find is 10 watt and the bandpass calls for values in the 20 and 40 watt range. Now for some this may be a simple question but does the wattage matter or would the 10 watt perform as needed.

If anyone has suggestions on quality resistors for the values needed I would appreciate any info.

On the inductor side would you use foil or wire wound? Also the .16mh inductor. I can find .15mh inductors all over but doing a search I can not find a .16mh.

The caps I have purchased are ampohm. Research seems to point to good price to performance. Would they still benefit from being bypassed?

Also I would like to rewire the speakers. Is one wire preferred over another?

Doing all the research on this stuff has my head spinning. Thanks for any info it is appreciated and I am sure there will be more questions in the future.

Tks
    greg

Edit Another question. The 077 tweeter even if it ohms within range would it benefit to change out the diaphragms? Same for the 066. The 066 would have to be replaced with the recommended 052TI.

Also do the Lpads go bad? I lubricated them some time ago with Caig and they seem to work fine.

Again Tks

Forgive me if some of these questions were gone over before. I do use and have used the search engine.

I am doing some research to rebuild the crossovers in a pair of L166 and L300 based on the bandpass circuit located here. Do you have the original networks? Seems to me that the best bet is to only replace the caps which may be well out of spec by now.

After doing some research on the resistors I am trying to decide on some quality resistors. I was looking at the Dayton DNR resistors. There is no problem getting the values for the L166. For the L300 I can not find the watt value. The highest I can seem to find is 10 watt and the bandpass calls for values in the 20 and 40 watt range. Now for some this may be a simple question but does the wattage matter or would the 10 watt perform as needed. You don't have to stick with single units. Try searching stock for higher wattage and using multiples of parallel resistors. 2 x 80 ohm in parallel will provide 40 ohms in the circuit. Adds to the cost of course.

If anyone has suggestions on quality resistors for the values needed I would appreciate any info.

On the inductor side would you use foil or wire wound? Also the .16mh inductor. I can find .15mh inductors all over but doing a search I can not find a .16mh. Too tricky to comment on foil or wire. The 0.15mH should work OK. That's only a 5% variance. Need to keep an eye on the resistance value of the inductor though.
    The caps I have purchased are ampohm. Research seems to point to good price to performance. Would they still benefit from being bypassed? Often does.

Also I would like to rewire the speakers. Is one wire preferred over another? Not really, the wire does not have to carry long distance. It might be fun to try solid conductor wire (make sure the terminals are clean and well secured).

Doing all the research on this stuff has my head spinning. Thanks for any info it is appreciated and I am sure there will be more questions in the future.

Tks
    greg

Edit Another question. The 077 tweeter even if it ohms within range would it benefit to change out the diaphragms? The metal does fatigue if used or abused. Good investment IF you intend to keep them and use them. Same for the 066 Out of stock or otherwise too expensive. The 066 would have to be replaced with the recommended 052TI.

Also do the Lpads go bad? I lubricated them some time ago with Caig and they seem to work fine. They can gum up or too much power can cause arching. If they don't break outright the coils can get charred and cause some current flow problems. Otherwise they ususally last with some periodic cleaning.

Again Tks[/QUOTE]
    David F
    San Jose

Replaced capacitors, YES!

This is because they are electrolytic caps and they dry out over time and the capacitance changes.
    If you replace them with non electrolytic caps they will not dry out over time.
    As for the resistors and inductors their values don't change, unless the have been fried.
    Replacing the "L" pad is a good idea as the contacts will corrode.

But it's your choice.

On resistors, some say they do not make a difference sonically, but I say they REALLY DO!

For me, I use many carbon films, and carbon composition resistors. I really like TAKMAN 2% tolerance carbon films, and in the right spot, RIKEN OHM Carbon Composition resistors. Especially in the horn and tweeter sections of filter circuits for our JBL and ALTEC horns, a RIKEN OHM Carbon Composition works wonders, very full bodied tone, without the glare and brightness that metal films, IMHO, impart to the tone. The Riken Ohm resistors have the sound of the old Allen Bradley Carbon Compositions, but cleaner, and without the drift AB,s exhibit. Drift, for anyone that doesn't know, is when the resistors value changes as it heats up, and many of the older resistors, especially carbon composition resistors, do drift as they heat up, and I am a big fan of carbon resistors, both film and composition types.

The TAKMAN resistors sound great, too. I had my Marchand crossovers made with all premium carbon films, and a few carbon comps in the right spots. I personally, love a great carbon composition in the gain setting feedback loops of my crossovers. And, use of these is like anything that imparts a distinct flavor to the sound, just the right amount is fantastic, too much is IMO not good. One or two in the right spots does wonderful things. Percussion has that WOODY tone, vocals sound full, bass is also full, upper mids and highs are smooth, CLEAR, yet never BRIGHT, but also not muted sounding, or missing anything. IT JUST WORKS!

If you want to read up on the various resistor brands and types, www.partsconnexion.com. And although the Rikens are sort of expensive as resistors go, the great thing is you really only need a couple in the right spot, so, for a few bucks you get something I feel really works. If you already know and understand the sound of carbon composition resistors, then you would be REALLY happy with the RIKEN OHM resistor, and then, for general purpose use, I like Carbon Films, and the TAKMAN resistor is amazing sounding. I also tried the KIWAME resistor, and was much happier with the TAKMANS! And, for stock parts house brands of resistors, particularly carbon films, I swear by YAGEO 5% carbon film resistors.
    scottyj

Thanks all for the replies.

DavidF I do have the original networks and the speakers are currently functional. I was thinking from the research that I have done is that all parts with the exception of the inductors and perhaps the transformer in the L300 over time deteriorate. The L166 was going to be a practice run for the L300 crossover. The L166 very well may just get a rebuild job though.

The resistors it seems that the ohm values are pretty common but the wattage at higher values do not seem to be so common. I guess the question is would the lower wattage resistors work the same as the higher wattage? I would not think so because if they did then why were they specified at the higher value? This may be a no brainier for some but I am seeking to understand. Perhaps as you stated I could hook some up in either series or parallel to achieve the desired wattage.

Thanks for all of the info. I do think I can understand the rest of the answers. I do plan on keeping them for a long time. I will more than likely rebuild the 077s.

Again Thanks the info is really appreciated.
    greg

jcrobso

Good info on the caps. The caps I will be using are metallized polypropylene. Also seems the wise thing to do would be to replace the "L" pads.

Thanks for the info it is appreciated.
    greg

scott

Great info also. That is a lot of good info on the resistors and I will look into the ones you suggested. Taking a quick look at those brands I see they do not go up to the rated wattage for the schematic . The schematic calls for wattage values of 10 20 and 40. I would love to try some of the brands mentioned. As stated before it may be a dumb question but can a 2 watt resistor be used where a 40 watt resistor is called for? Or will it fry the resistor because of the smaller value? Or perhaps my understanding of resistors is flawed.

It would not be the first time.

Thanks and I really appreciate the info.
    greg

Greg, you should not use resistors with wattage ratings lower than the specified ratings. IF you use a 10 watt resistor where it calls for a 30 or 40 watt resistor you will run the risk of frying the resistor by putting too much power through it. You CAN always OVERSIZE, but undersize is usually never a good idea.

40 watt resistors are BIG resistors, so these are in a spot that your going to put some power through them.

However, where you do have any 1/4, 1/2, 1 or 2 watt resistors, you can substitute a premium resistor of the types and ratings I suggested.

The DUELAND Graphite resistors are available as 10 watt resistors, these are praised by many for passive speaker networks.

The MUNDORF M Resistors are available in 20w ratings, also highly regarded, but I have no first hand experience with them.

Contact Partsconnexion through their site, and ask them what they recommend, they will get back to you with answers. Asking questions can never hurt!
    scottyj

scott

Thanks so much for clearing that up. I will contact them about the resistors. Also will ask them about the inductors.

Appreciate all the info.
    greg

Thread Information