Thread: Scott Of The Antarctic (1948) region2 DVD

JBL 4645

Thumbs up Scott Of The Antarctic (1948) region2 DVD

Just brought true story based on the ill-fated Terra Nova Expedition lead by captain Robert Falcon Scott, where a five man team reaches the South Pole only to find that they have been beaten by the Norwegian team led by Roald Amundsen. With their food supplies almost but gone, and exhausted the five men perish in the frozen wasteland.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Falcon_Scott

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terra_Nova_Expedition

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_o...ntarctic_(film)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0040761/

One of many early Technicolor films I’ve seen a youtube clip which looks great. I’ve seen the film once before, some 25 years or so ago, and found it emotionally tragic. It should be here within a few days.

It’s presented in 4:3 monaural mix RCA recoding system.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

JBL 4645
    Scott of the Antarctic, has arrived thou there seems to be some problem? They sent two DVD rather than just the one that I ordered. I’d have to call them up tomorrow and tell them I’d be posting one back. I guess the cold must be getting to us all and someone mistakenly placed x2 in my order at the warehouse?

Cold can do this with impaired judgment.

If it was x2 pizzas I’d keep it to myself.

Its too damn cold to watch this, but it would add to the drama hmm, (((Sensuchill))) I’d just turn down the sub for sub-freezing effects.

JBL 4645
    I’ve just finished watching the film. It was emotionally moving and if you happen to like animals cat dogs and ponies. There are some real downer moments but it had to be done.

Creditable performances by the cast make it all seem believable until the final end.

Picture was okay looked grainy and that’s how it should look along with dirt and starches.

A bit of edge enhancement didn’t spoil my viewing but I think edge enhancement should be banned from DVD bluray it ruins the look.

Sound was duel mono so I had to send the mono to the centre for proper playback. It had some mild low bass I’ll, have to look at few scenes on spectrumlab to see how low it went.

JBL 4645
    Oh yes I forgot. The DVD had some slight issues playing on Pioneer DV-515 the start of the disc that is the intros that you can’t skip forward until the main menu comes up, played fine

Starting the main feature produced digital glitches freezing etc, guess it must be the encoding or the DV-515 needs a bit of cleaning on the around the lens or it might be a disc error?

I switched the disc over to the Sony BDP-S550 and it played fine only snag was the sound was playing duel mono over left and right and that is not how the film would have been exhibited!

So I had to make some fast thinking re-plugged the leads from Yamaha DSR-70 with centre output lead going to the Yamaha DSP-100 switch the lead around on the Yamaha DSP-100 that is for centre output only its placed on one of the left or right outputs as the output is higher and its only some 6db less on the centre full-range output on the DSP-100.

So with leads set up within less than 60 seconds I switched the Yamaha DSR-70pro to Dolby pro-logic to reroute the duel mono to the centre channel, turned up the main AVR volume a bit and sat back and watched the film.

The sub bass extension works by being sent from the Yamaha DSR-70pro as that is where most of the low end was coming from, some low end from the Yamaha DSP-100 but not as much as the centre output from the Yamaha DSR-70pro is band limited at 100Hz this was only for a mono film and still a bit of low end now and then will sneak though the 100Hz low pass as I guess its shallow slope and not a steep low pass filter drop at 100Hz.

There was bit of crosstalk sneaking out of the left and right if you have trained ear like I do. So all I did to prevent distraction was mute the left and right on the DCX2496 so that only x1 JBL control 5 was working with Gale3090 sub for sub bass extension, I left the JBL and Eltax switched off or rather it was switched I just didn’t bother to send set the Kenwood KRF-X9050D to SW-remix mode.

It would have been easier if the DVD was encoded as Dolby 1.0 then it would be routed to centre channel without having to do re-plugging, but like re-plugging it keeps me shape on the edge ware I need to be.

Thinking back it’s a tough film to watch as it’s a real downer of an ending that can set in a bit of depression as you see the final moments of the last three men freezing on that barren wasteland.

JBL 4645
    Great God! this is an awful place.
    Captain Scott

With I, I’d take dogs…and dogs…and dogs.

JBL 4645
    When Robert Falcon Scott sailed to the Antarctic in the brand-new, purpose-built Discovery in 1901 there were two cats on board accompanying the 38 men; they were Blackwall and Poplar (presumably named after those districts of London). Blackwall, a tabby and white, soon attached himself to Scott, spending most nights on the captain's bunk along with Scamp, his black Aberdeen terrier. Poplar was a black cat belonging to American stoker Arthur Quartley; the cats got on well together and would share their favourite warm spot by the stove.

Discovery became stuck in the Antarctic ice for two whole winters in 1902 and 1903 before being released early in 1904 by rescue ships Terra Nova and Morning, using dynamite to blast away the ice. Regrettably Poplar fell prey to the ship's husky dogs during March 1904 and was killed, greatly upsetting her owner. However, Blackwall survived the two winters on the ice without mishap and was aboard when Discovery reached New Zealand on Good Friday, 1 April 1904.

Both Terra Nova and Morning had their own cats: on Morning were a black female called Night (probably shown in the photo, right) and her white kitten Noon, but at some point a grey tabby also appeared — and of course was called Morning. Unfortunately she was later lost overboard. There was also a cat called Bobs that belonged to the chief engineer; it too was lost overboard, on the voyage between Madeira and New Zealand. For Terra Nova's cat Nigger, see below.

http://www.purr-n-fur.org.uk/famous/antarctic.html

Thread Information