Thread: LE14A Surrounds

LE14A Surrounds

Hi!
    I know it's been discussed before, but I am looking for a majority consensus:

When replacing Lansalloy surrounds with foam, attach to the front or the rear of the cone?

This assuming a flat spider and a Rick Cobb quality fit replacement surround.

Thanks!

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
    Hi!
    I know it's been discussed before, but I am looking for a majority consensus:

When replacing Lansalloy surrounds with foam, attach to the front or the rear of the cone?

This assuming a flat spider and a Rick Cobb quality fit replacement surround.

Thanks!

Thomas
    Go with whatever approach results in the flattest spider .

IE :
    You can shim the cone in place with some chunky foam ( between the backside of the cone & the frame ) to hold the spider level ( once you've removed the lansaloy it'll sag ) .

At that point , do a mockup to see where the new foam surround "prefers" to overlap ( front or backside ).
    - Of course, if it's a draw , you're right back at square one .

<> cheers

- FWIW, I prefer the look of surrounds attached to the back of the cone .

The PROBLEM is that LE14A's Lansaloy surround was attached on the front with the roll concave, whereas new recone kits have it on the rear, roll convex.

Issues:

1) What to do about the remains of the original surround attached to the face of the cone.

2) Where the voice coil ends up in the gap. Who's in control of that, the spider or the surround?

My answer:

I remove the original surround from the front and install the new surround there, roll convex. Compromise or crap shoot, Rick may know the "right" answer, since it's a unique custom surround....

I've only done 4 of these woofers, but I did all of them with the foam on the front. This is mostly because when removing the old surround I ended up pulling up small bits of the white aquaplas coating on the cone. The new surround covers that up nicely. In the end all the spiders ended up flat, even on a pair that were not flat with the old surrounds still in place. I have a pair with cosmetically bad cones that I want to repaint the cones and then refoam on the rear just to see if it really makes any difference at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
    The PROBLEM is that LE14A's Lansaloy surround was attached on the front with the roll concave, whereas new recone kits have it on the rear, roll convex.

Issues:

1) What to do about the remains of the original surround attached to the face of the cone.

2) Where the voice coil ends up in the gap. Who's in control of that, the spider or the surround?

My answer:

I remove the original surround from the front and install the new surround there, roll convex. Compromise or crap shoot, Rick may know the "right" answer, since it's a unique custom surround....
    Rick Cobb says he puts them back where the old ones were.
    My Lansalloy was on the front, so that's where I attached the replacement.

Thanks to everyone,
    Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by tomee View Post
    I've only done 4 of these woofers, but I did all of them with the foam on the front. This is mostly because when removing the old surround I ended up pulling up small bits of the white aquaplas coating on the cone. The new surround covers that up nicely. In the end all the spiders ended up flat, even on a pair that were not flat with the old surrounds still in place. I have a pair with cosmetically bad cones that I want to repaint the cones and then refoam on the rear just to see if it really makes any difference at all.
    Thanks for the post!

Thomas

Thread Information