Thread: Why Can't we Edit our Posts past 24 Hrs ?

Thumbs down Why Can't we Edit our Posts past 24 Hrs ?

I think that not being able to edit our posts after 24 Hrs. is wrong and should be changed to at least give someone the option.And if you would like to add something to a post you can't without making new post.

My Reason: Is that information that may have been posted that becomes outdated and is or incorrect can't be changed after 24Hrs. not everyone can get to the boards everyday.The Original poster or the Thread starter should be able to edit ones Thread/posts to update ones thread,especially if measurements T/S parameters are involved without having to make a new post.

Now if someone is searching the forum in the future and comes across a thread that couldn't be edited,then that person or persons will be left with incorrect info.Because the more posts that are made just makes more searching of endless posts which can be quite time consuming and no real benefit to anyone.When you search and can get quick accurate responses to your searches I think will be a real benefit to everyone.

Which is why I think being able to update/edit your posts will benefit the Board as a whole!!!

I've wasted lots of time with search results that wasn't what I needed or was looking for or was just incorrect !
    "James B. Lansing" = Lansing Manufacturing ~ Altec Lansing ~ JBL

Quote Originally Posted by Altec Best View Post
    I think that not being able to edit our posts after 24 Hrs. is wrong and should be changed to at least give someone the option.And if you would like to add something to a post you can't without making new post.

My Reason: Is that information that may have been posted that becomes outdated and is or incorrect can't be changed after 24Hrs. not everyone can get to the boards everyday.The Original poster or the Thread starter should be able to edit ones Thread/posts to update ones thread,especially if measurements T/S parameters are involved without having to make a new post.

Which is why I think being able to update/edit your posts will benefit the Board as a whole!!!

I've wasted lots of time with search results that wasn't what I needed or was looking for or was just incorrect !
    One consideration is would-be spammers are also locked at the 24hr point -
    so they can't go back to a reply post and change it to an ad for cellphones or whatever off-topic idiocy they are trying to shill.

It also helps tone down flame wars when folks can't continually tweak previous posts in a thread ...
    Kinda helps keep things on topic.

The other thing is - why do you think everyone would go back and fix old posts later?
    Some folks don't fix known inaccuracies even within the allowed 24hrs when people tell them they're wrong
    and its obvious they've been on the board during that time - some just don't bother.

So hopefully someone puts a new post at the end of the thread with the correct info to set you straight -
    in that case you just need to read to the end of the thread to get it.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Re: Why Can't we Edit our Posts past 24 Hrs ?

Pretty much for the reasons she said, but in cases where there is a gross inaccuracy, error, misstatement etc. you can contact a Moderator and ask them to make a change. We won't do it for a trivial change, but in some cases we will make a correction... sometimes calling attention to the edit and others not.

FWIW: I have said some pretty stupid things over the years... yes, I know it is hard to believe, but it is true. At times when I have come across one of these posts, even though I can edit it, I do not. I may cringe as I read it again, but I said what I said at that point and others responded to it. I think it is better to leave the past as it was.

These rules hopefully encourage us to be a bit more thoughtful when we do post.

Widget

+1

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    We can always hope!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

There is the middle path, open ended editing but a twenty-four hour limit on deleting posts. On another forum I have found this to be workable. It keeps threads more readable by fixing errors yet preventing gaping holes left by deleted posts.

I will venture the opinion that deleting is more confusing than editing in most cases. While I do respect and enjoy the contributions of an illustrious frequent and renamed poster who has moderator powers, his habit of meat axing his posts into oblivion leaves some threads nonsensical. His posts are better than he knows, and we miss them when they are gone.

Deleting posts makes more sense on sites dominated by young, brash posters who often post very regrettable things. We Baby Boomers here might just be thoughtful enough to handle the honor system that open ended editing implies. Just my opinion, and I have no objections to the present system.

Clark
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    There is the middle path, open ended editing but a twenty-four limit on deleting posts. On another forum I have found this to be workable. It keeps threads more readable by fixing errors yet preventing gaping holes left by deleted posts.

I will venture the opinion that deleting is more confusing than editing in most cases. While I do respect and enjoy the contributions of an illustrious frequent and renamed poster who has moderator powers, his habit of meat axing his posts into oblivion leaves some threads nonsensical. His posts are better than he knows, and we miss them when they are gone.

Clark
    Zactly!
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Open-ended editing unleashes Zilch's inner blogger, is why not....

JBL 4645
    Well editing doesn’t stop or prevent spammers, spamming up our visitor massager, or sending us pm messages, does it. I still have a look at most members profile and notice that captain sensible who spammed up everyone’s VM was it last year? and the most of the forums. I notified DonC the other day that had spam link on VM I guess he didn’t notice it, or rarely looks at it his VM.

I noticed that heather switched her VM to OFF to prevent spammers taking advantage of it because it doesn’t show up like getting pm or looking at post on the main forums. Ether keep the VM switched to OFF or visit it, once every day or when you log on.

Thanks Everyone !!

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    So hopefully someone puts a new post at the end of the thread with the correct info to set you straight -
    in that case you just need to read to the end of the thread to get it.
    Thanks Heather,Widget, and to everyone else who responded in kind.My thoughts were with the search function as I have had no luck with searching even when using correct keywords,or I get dozens and dozens of results which would take lots of time to go through instead of getting quick accurate results with the relevant information I was looking for.I've come across a few old posts that had some outdated info and just thought if the Original poster had realized that they could correct it.Wishful thinking I guess as Heather has pointed out.

But I do understand exactly what you are saying.WRT spammers they should be easy enough to deal with as this site deals with them Harshly.I didn't realize they were such a problem as I haven't seen that much,except in the Marketplace !! With people listing there eBay auctions and things like that.

Thanks Again for the explanations.I was just getting frustrated with the endless wrong search results.It has gotten to the point were I won't use that function unless it is something I really need to find or absolutely necessary.

@ Ducatista47, I didn't mention about deleting posts and agree with you about leaving holes in threads, just editing or maybe a more appropriate word "Updating" a post.Without having to add another post.See I'm in the middle of a project and am looking for quick results as opposed to sitting and reading every post.This way it could help me apply what I'm looking for quickly to get back to the project at hand.Everybody knows what kind of time it takes to put a project together and work full time.

@JBL4645, I don't use the VM that's what I thought PM's /email's were for.

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by Altec Best View Post
    Thanks Heather,Widget, and to everyone else who responded in kind.My thoughts were with the search function as I have had no luck with searching even when using correct keywords,or I get dozens and dozens of results which would take lots of time to go through instead of getting quick accurate results with the relevant information I was looking for..
    AltecBest
    Try Google by adding “Lansing Heritage” attracted the end of the keyword most times it brings up what you’re looking for. That's the trick I use sometimes.

I give it a whirl !

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    AltecBest
    Try Google by adding “Lansing Heritage” attracted the end of the keyword most times it brings up what you’re looking for. That's the trick I use sometimes.
    Cool ! Thanks for the tip ! ~ Kind Regards ~ John ~

Thread Information