Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dome's house: JBL demonstrations in LA

Demo Recap 2

As Tony wrote, I used a demo disc. It was the Kenwood DVD Audio Demonstration Disc 5.1 Collection (Silverline: EMI Capitol 72434-77900-9/6)

I chose six tracks.

1. Never Going Back Again--Fleetwood Mac (acoustic)
    2. Sing Song Sung--Big Phat Band (big band)
    3. Beethoven's 5th, Ist Movement--London Symphony
    4. Rebel Yell--Bill Idol (punk rock)
    5. Mercy, Mercy, Mercy--Cannonball Adderly (live jazz)
    6. Only the Lonely--The Motels (pop)

Beforehand I cehcked each system and set volume/gain to achieve an 84dB level on my trusty RS analog meter. Then during each demo I rechecked the SPL, as the addition of bodies in the room and random seating arrangements made small changes necesary to maintain a uniform level.

I just shot a quick photo of the case, cuz I couldn't find an image online.

Everyone who attended got one of these as a parting gift to take home and use for comparison on their home systems. I bought thirty of these in a lot some tome ago to give out for just such occasions, so everyone got a legal copy.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Out.

Demo Recap 3

It was a farging hot day, even near the ocean, but we got started at 10 AM while it was still cool, though by 2:30 PM it was 94F outside and 80F inside.

We started with the XPL200A set downstairs, with me giving a bit of technical info, the story of the DX-1 coming out of Greg Timbers' closet, the rescue of the XPLs from a pawn shop in LA, etc. Then I shut up and let the speakers do the talking. Everyone was surprised by how amazingly good they were.

The DX-1 really brings these babies alive, along with two good amps and a really nice analog pre. Sweet.

Then it was up five flights of stairs to the S/2600s. After giving the spiel about how they were acquired from a former JBL employee, etc., etc., and naming the design features, awards won in Japan, etc., I fired them up, and...

...one channel wasn't playing! Crap. Well, in fact, it was playing but at a very reduced level, and if there's one system that requires good balance, the S/2600 with the Directivity Horn is it. It worked perfectly at 11 PM the night before. Just ask my GF whom I kept up while I rechecked every system one last time.

So I futzed around a bit and either an amp pot or pre pot was flaking out, so I gave an abbreviated demo.

Since I'm used to having SNAFUs like this everyday in life, it wasn't a big deal, but it was disappointing nonetheless. Of course, when I went back and checked it later, it worked perfectly.
    Out.

Demo Recap 4

From there it was down to the main floor and the Performance Series. This was a bit of a change up in that we listened to all those tracks in 5.1 rather than stereo. I must admit, it sounded damn fine. They wanted more than 84dB, so I obliged, and the system was more than up to the task. There were grins all around.

The home theater guys loved it, because, uh, they're home theater guys. Surround sound rules for them. I popped off one of the PT800 grilles, and a few eyes widened. What are those?

Why they're inverted Ti domes!

Why do you have eight subs?

I don't. The four stacks are running full range, just as the L205 and 250Ti do. In fact, look, here's the same 14" woofer in its -3 iteration.

Why four subs, then?

Ah well, let's talk JBL/Harman multisubs, shall we? Grumpy and Sanjay from AVS had been over when the JBL BassQ unit was hooked up here, so they carried the load on that discussion Good stuff, guys.

Erick, the Revel Ultima2 Studio HT owner offered, "Man, those drivers look a lot like mine, except I don't have anything like that big 14" woofer. What a difference!"

The AVS guys were reluctant, but we needed to move on, and I decided to go straight to the K2 S9900s, since they were a mere 18' away, and time was flying.
    Out.

Very Thorough Demo !

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    Of course, when I went back and checked it later, it worked perfectly.
    Don't that beat all. Seems like you did a very thorough Demo Doug.Nice job.I have never heard the K2's and they are something I would really like to listen to if given the chance.

Thanks for the Updates ! Kind Regards ~ John
    "James B. Lansing" = Lansing Manufacturing ~ Altec Lansing ~ JBL

Demo Recap 5

The Lansing heritage guys were eager for the 2-channel K2s, but the AVSers really were more interested in going downstairs for some Synthesis® goodness. Nevertheless, everyone was obliging and moved quickly into position.

I spoke briefly about the lineage of the K2 S9900, including its relationship to Everest II and how it is actually newer than the Everest II. I shared the California Audio Show story of how the K2s topped the Ultima2 Salons within 30 seconds of hearing them, put in some plugs for Widget and Design Interaction, and shared the "white van" in San Luis Obispo story for everyone's entertainment.

Then I had to share how Grumpy and I had spent a whole day swapping amps, moving speakers, etc. A few folks were getting that, "Okay, here comes the snake oil hype" look, so I shut up.

Then we listened.

The bobbing heads, closed eyes, deep concentration of some revelaed their immersion in the experience. Others were just looking at the speakers, first one speaker, then the other, back and forth; or they were looking in the middle, appearing to place sounds, instruments, and artist in the soundstage; or they simply marveled.

I finished the demo, and people started reaching for discs. I fended them off, by saying we needed to move on, but after lunch, they could play any system they wanted, so they seemed pacified.

I noticed a couple of guys had to go up and touch them--I would call it a caress--before they left.
    Out.

Demo Recap 6

Back down two flights of stairs to the room we started in, the AVS guys sort of stopped and started to sit down in the folding chairs again. Since there is a screen and projector in the fitness/game/music room and I hadn't fired up the SVA system, they thought that was the theater. Plus it's festooned with movie posters.

I came in and redirected them, "Uh, no guys, it's actually up there" as I pointed up the short stairs to the Two jims Theatre. "Take four chairs with you, since it only seats six as is."

Everyone got settled in, and I gave them the whole design, construction, component, calibration lecture. I decided to skip any music and go straight to cinema, so Master and Commander to the fore!

The AVS guys like "full reference," so I agreed to do -8dB as a compromise, because 0dB will kill you in that room.

The opening scenes are very effective at high volume due to the incredible atmosphere created by the sound engineer. This Synthesis® One Array does this better than any other system I've heard, and it's always an ear opener for folks who think they've heard an immersive system before. The experience has such great verisimiltude that it completely captures you in its seafaring spell.

As Tony wrote above, once those cannons open up, all bets are off. I was sitting on the floor at the side near the front so I could steal glances at the participants. When that fist salvo hit, at least half the group lurched in their seats, and two guys winced. It wasn't distorted or painfully loud; it just has unexpected impact. At -8 with my back against the wall, I could feel the room pressurize. It wasn't mere LF vibration; it was a bowing outward of the entire wall, then a recoil as the pressure diminished.

Thank goodness Chris Neumann told me not to put a door on the room and to use the adjacent room as a bass dump. He knew what he was doing.

After that harrowing experience, which was met with momentary complete silence after I turned it off, I gave Sanjya the remote (he's familiar with the system) and told everyone they could start playing their own stuff while I got lunch ready, then afterward they could use any of the systems to try out their own material.

After a nice lunch--Chicago dogs, YES!--and a few beers, people divided up to do auditions for themselves.
    Out.

Demo Recap 7

Most attention was given to the One Arrays and the K2s, of course.

What I found most interesting is that two of the hard core, and I mean HARD CORE, AVS guys who are all about surround sound went immediately to the K2s and essentially stayed there for the rest of the day. I was truly shocked. Most people went down to the One Array system first.

Grumpy had swapped in his Audio Research pre during lunch, and it was a sweet companion for the K2s. Sadly, I couldn't talk him into leaving it. It made the K2s even more attractive to listen to, and I was very pleased. Thanks, G!

The K2 listeners put in disc after disc after disc, listening to favorite tracks which I'm sure they've heard hundreds of times. The guys were full of one word exclamations (amazing. unbelievable. unreal. wow.) and short bursts of commentary (can't believe this. never heard that before. first time I've ever really heard this track.)

There was the occasional rhetorical question (what in the world was that? did you hear that? how can I ever listen to this at home again? do I really have to leave?)

Eventually, everyone trickled up to the K2s, and there was a constant stream of guys with discs they wanted to hear.

Meanwhile, Grumpy and Glen had started a conversation with a couple of AVS guys that continued for some while. I was in and out of it so I'm not sure what all they talked about, but one thing I'm sure they talked about was the Lansing heritage and its impact and influence throughout the industry. I know I heard Locanthi and Ausberger come up.

Some of the AVS guys were a little skeptical when a JBL enthusiast (me) joined their ranks, but over time they've come to appreciate things JBL quite a bit more with my hosting of a few events like this. The thing that Dave and Glen brought to the mix was the knowledge and credibility to back up my slavish devotion to the brand.

I know a couple of the AVS guys really appreciated having the conversation and getting some solid info from them, so thanks, guys!

Tony's enthusiasm for good sound was a nice catalyst for different conversations, and I especially appreciated his fresh ears on my systems. I also appreciated the bottle of wine he brought. Well done, sir!

Even though I set 2 PM as the ending time, I really wouldn't force anyone out. They were having a good time, so we rolled on until nearly three or so. I think a couple of them would have stayed longer, but they felt peer pressure to leave when the bulk of the group departed.
    Out.

Demo Recap 8

My final thought are these:

1. This is a lot of work to do right.
    2. The day before it happens can be stressful.
    3. Something will always go wrong.
    4. There are a lot of very nice people on AVS and LH.
    5. I always enjoy getting together with audio and video enthusiasts.
    6. Hosting and feeding people is one of the great human social expressions.
    7. Despite my premonitions and the goof with the S/2600s, every system sounded amazing even to my hypersentive state of mind.
    8. There's a ton of good music out there that I'd never hear if I didn't have people over.
    9. AVSers and LHers are generous by nature and good and respectful guests.
    10. I am an extraordinarily fortunate man.
    11. It was FUN!

If I do another, I hope some more of you can attend.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    If I do another, I hope some more of you can attend.
    Hey Doug, Will you be moving to the East Coast anytime soon ?

Regards ~ John
    "James B. Lansing" = Lansing Manufacturing ~ Altec Lansing ~ JBL

It sounds like everyone had a great time. I am bit disappointed with the S/2600 reaction however. I LOVE these speakers. As I have mentioned, I personally feel they need a great high powered SS amp.

With mine, a MC402 does the trick. Someone, sometime, may actually try this. I would love to read impressions. Abeit, I do have a Tannoy ST for a tad bit of coverage on the HF, but damn.....

I don't think it won the awards for the JBL name but I may be wrong.

Nonetheless, I wish I was there. Sounds like a great time-awesome TD that you could do this. I also thing your family needs a bit of

Be well everyone & take care of your loved ones

Thanks

Thanks Dome!

That was a really awesome demo.

Your standardized procedure allowed the differences in character of even these uniformly fine systems to become quite distinct.

It was also easy to appreciate how effective the acoustic treatment in your JBL Synthesis equipped screening room was.

Hearing the systems was great,
    hearing Dome's stories about putting them together was priceless.

The K2s were my favorites.
    By far the best speakers I've ever heard,
    maybe the best I'll ever hear.

Thanks Again,

Glen
    glen

"Make it sound like dinosaurs eating cars"
    - Nick Lowe, while producing Elvis Costello

Wonderful People

WOW!!

What a great time Dome! I do wish I could have been there.

If in the future if you do this again try to give me 4 weeks’ notice so I can get a plane ticket to come and enjoy the gathering.

Congrats to you and yours for the social aspect of your generosity and just plain old "good people".
    Always fun learning more.......

February 26th demo and meet

On Saturday, February 26th from 10 AM to 3 PM, I'm doing another JBL demonstration and meet at my place. This will be less formal than the last one, but most of the same systems will be available for listening.

Once again, association rules limit me to about a dozen visitors, so if you're interested, PM me soon, as I'll have to put anyone after #12 on a waiting list. Since this is also open to the AVS Los Angeles Home Theater Group, it will fill up.

As last time, I'll even feed you lunch, but it wouldn't hurt if you brought a beverage or snack to share. Bring a favorite disk or two as well.

Hope some of you can make it.

EDIT: I'm already at #7.

EDIT 2: I'm not giving out free discs this time, though I may raffle a couple.
    Last edited by Titanium Dome; 02-10-2011 at 11:51 AM. Reason: more info
    Out.

Sir Dome, I cannot begin to tell you how tempted I am to book some flights.. What an incredible opportunity you are offering. I regret wholeheartedly that you aren't a couple thousand miles closer.

Quote Originally Posted by cosmos View Post
    Sir Dome, I cannot begin to tell you how tempted I am to book some flights.. What an incredible opportunity you are offering. I regret wholeheartedly that you aren't a couple thousand miles closer.
    Hey, I'll be in Ohio in late March/early April. Unfortunately, I won't be bringing my JBLs with me. My mom's near Toledo, and Bose is the order of the day for her and her husband.

Toledo-Chicago-LA is doable. So is Cleveland-St.Louis-LA and Cincinnati-LA. I've done 'em all.
    Out.

Thread Information