Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2440 diaphragm options

I got the drivers today. They are both pretty well beaten up. Throats on both driver are broken. Only sound from one of them. The other one has no diaphram and the pole plate is dislocated. I will take some pictures tomorrow and start a new thread on how to repair them.

The guy I bought these drivers from has collected hifi and cinema gear for 20 years or so. There was a lot of things to see. If any of you ever come to Stockholm, pm me and I'll take you to see him.

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    Quote Originally Posted by more10 View Post
    I got the drivers today. They are both pretty well beaten up. Throats on both driver are broken. Only sound from one of them. The other one has no diaphram and the pole plate is dislocated. I will take some pictures tomorrow and start a new thread on how to repair them.

The guy I bought these drivers from has collected hifi and cinema gear for 20 years or so. There was a lot of things to see. If any of you ever come to Stockholm, pm me and I'll take you to see him.
    do you have access to a degaussing machine?

a thread on this topic is here:
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...-throat-on-375

Can you send the drivers back and get a full refund!

Two broken throats, and one with a shifted magnet, I wouldn't take them for anything!
    scottyj

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post
    Can you send the drivers back and get a full refund!

Two broken throats, and one with a shifted magnet, I wouldn't take them for anything!
    good call!

Well I got them pretty cheap. It will be fun repairing them. There are a couple of local firms where I can get them degaussed and regaussed.

Thanks for the link.

Quote Originally Posted by richluvsound View Post
    more10

more than twice as good ! once you have heard Be everything else is like wearing a condom
    Rich
    Well one new be diaphragm is more expensive than one used 2435 (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/JBL-2435-HPL-2...item563ded472a). This one is on buy now for 449$.

Why bother upgrading techology that is basically 75 years old when there are modern drivers constructed for beryllium?

I now know that one of the diaphragms is a 2441, so I will get another for the other driver.

PROVIDING you can actually REPAIR and REASSEMBLE the worthless, busted, drivers YOU were sold!

Sorry to say, but, even with all the right tools and parts, IT's EASIER SAID THAN DONE!

Somebody has to say it!
    scottyj

True !

PROVIDING you can actually REPAIR and REASSEMBLE the worthless, busted, drivers YOU were sold!

Sorry to say, but, even with all the right tools and parts, IT's EASIER SAID THAN DONE!

Somebody has to say it!
    Have to agree Scott , by the time they are sorted out anywhere near factory spec he has saved pennies maybe .... I , for one though ,will help him out as much as possible . There is nothing like spending loads of cash needlessly to get one to head the advice of those that have been there

Rich

Somebody has to say it!
    I am fully aware that I might fail. But doing this is great fun. I would just love to make these old worthless drivers work. If I fail I still have my 2445 drivers.

I am fully aware that I might fail. But doing this is great fun. I would just love to make these old worthless drivers work. If I fail I still have my 2445 drivers.
    OK, just as long as you do know that what you are going to attempt is really BEYOND HARD to do. I don't mean you any disrespect, and I don't doubt your skills, it's just that these things are sort of go together ONCE, and after that, game over!

And, IF you find that the driver with the shifted gap also has a cracked magnet, again, don't even waste your time, it is futile!

Now that this is out of the way, IF you can do it, KUDOS to you!
    scottyj

I think it's not that hard if you know how to do it and have the right tools. I don't know how. It's not expensive for a professional to do it, they can do it quickly. Problem is mostly the cost of shipping. Order some new throats. Last time I purchased some they were 6 or 8 dollars each.

Thread Information