Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: What is Everyone Using to Power Their L250's / 250ti's

I use a McIntosh C32/MC7270 combo. I like it.

[QUOTE = Greg86z28; 358916] J'utilise un combo McIntosh C32/MC7270. Je l'aime. [/ QUOTE]

I use a HK Citation 16 amp has a preamp and EAD theater master signing
    - JBL- Westlake Audio -

I am pretty sure I replied earlier in this thread ( I use Perreaux amps) but wanted to add I find the preamp I have tried are just as critical , sometimes more. I have good success w/certain Adcom units, not all and trying a Yamaha 2095 currently seems ok so far , borrowed from a friend here at LH. If the money pit ever stops taking my money i have thought of acquiring something nice in 2 channel and another for HT use...weakest link in general

Lastly room accoustics. I moved from a house that everything just sounded bad to a one where the same set up sounds great!

Mark
    Changing to Legacy Audio and started with a Silver Screen HD for my center between the 250TIs

Quote Originally Posted by opimax View Post
    I am pretty sure I replied earlier in this thread ( I use Perreaux amps) but wanted to add I find the preamp I have tried are just as critical , sometimes more. I have good success w/certain Adcom units, not all and trying a Yamaha 2095 currently seems ok so far , borrowed from a friend here at LH. If the money pit ever stops taking my money i have thought of acquiring something nice in 2 channel and another for HT use...weakest link in general

Lastly room accoustics. I moved from a house that everything just sounded bad to a one where the same set up sounds great!

Mark
    +1!!
    I will second the preamp! I tried numerous other preamps and I was never really happy with any of them until I tried an Adcom GFP-750 and I have recently moved to a Levinson 380S and it made a huge difference.
    Always fun learning more.......

+11

Room acoustics, preamps, it all affects the system once you start to really listen!

Paying more doesn't necessarily mean you'll get better sound... often times there is a correlation, but sometimes there are other reasons that something costs more. Basically there is only one thing you can do... give it a listen.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    +11

Room acoustics, preamps, it all affects the system once you start to really listen!

Paying more doesn't necessarily mean you'll get better sound... often times there is a correlation, but sometimes there are other reasons that something costs more. Basically there is only one thing you can do... give it a listen.

Widget
    +100!!

Room acoustics is really #1.

Second IMO is placement, then you can start to tweak gear!!

Quote Originally Posted by JuniorJBL View Post
    +1!!
    I will second the preamp! I tried numerous other preamps and I was never really happy with any of them until I tried an Adcom GFP-750 and I have recently moved to a Levinson 380S and it made a huge difference.
    +147 for Levinson with JBL. Once upon a time I encountered L250's with ML2 class A amps and ML6 preamps.

Absoutely sublime

M

I still think one of the biggest improvements I've made was the C32 pre amp. Not as nice as some of the other gear mentioned here, but moving from a Pioneer integrated amp (SA-8800) to a C32/MC7270 was a huge difference for my humble system. I first used the C32 and the SA-8800 (as the power amp) and the difference the pre amp made was incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    Akai boom box from Target!
    when I went out to see the CL ad for the Ohm/Walsh F's (notoriously hard to drive , need mucho power and are marked 4/3 ohm) that I now own , they were wired to an Aiwa boombox (he wired L & R leads together to 1 speaker to try for more power) . I carried along a HK receiver in case seller could not demo.

Good as the 250ti's are ...for me they do benefit from an added sub. I use a JBL UB212 UltraBass (the original design choice before they produced the B460 - AFAIH)
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by Greg86z28 View Post
    I still think one of the biggest improvements I've made was the C32 pre amp. Not as nice as some of the other gear mentioned here, but moving from a Pioneer integrated amp (SA-8800) to a C32/MC7270 was a huge difference for my humble system. I first used the C32 and the SA-8800 (as the power amp) and the difference the pre amp made was incredible.
    I know exactly what you mean. I've never used a C32, but I own a C28 and used to have the C22. None of these are a ML, but they are a real step up over a typical receiver or integrated, and stupidly better than a contemporary AVR.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by JuniorJBL View Post
    Room acoustics is really #1.
    So true... but it's so much easier to swap out cables.

Widget

But those Kilimanjaro cables made such a big difference and they were only 1/2 price at $5K!!

A pair of monoblock Bryston 7B-ST's @500 watts each @ 8 ohms

Amplifier for 250 ti

Ok,

So my 250 ti are being restored right now, however will be using my upgraded Hafler XL 600 to push them. With 315 plus watts per channel should work well with these speakers. What do you all think? Will that be enough to work these 4 way speakers?
    . . . Thanks,
    Philster

Quote Originally Posted by Philster View Post
    Ok,

So my 250 ti are being restored right now, however will be using my upgraded Hafler XL 600 to push them. With 315 plus watts per channel should work well with these speakers. What do you all think? Will that be enough to work these 4 way speakers?
    . . . Thanks,
    Philster
    Anything with 200+WPC will be terrific. More is better if you have it, but the difference will be small and limited to pretty high SPL listening. The Hafler should do nicely.

Thread Information