Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: What is Everyone Using to Power Their L250's / 250ti's

Power to the 250Ti's

Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio View Post
    Would it be wise to get a pair of Mcintosh 601 mono blocks for my 250 Ti?
    They love power! The more the better. The 601's would be an idea choice.
    K2S5800,Proj Array1000,880,1500,SynthesisTWO,250Ti,240Ti,120Ti& 18Ti,S38,Libra,Ti2K,Dorian,L36,88,99,100,300,Jubal ,Apollo,4425

Mine are still on the 375wpc BGW 750D , but augmented with the JBL UB212 powered by a NAD 40wpc receiver...recently bought a cheap DAC and was testing with MP3's coming USB from a laptop.

Most of my friends don't invest as much in their gear, so I don't have a lot to compare with, BUT this current setup does everything that I need.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Cool this thread is still going. I'm still running my Bridged Yamaha's with 700 wpc. Great sound! Take one away at 240 wpc and they still sound nice but they love the 700. Those Mac mono-blocks Cornholio, would be the cats meow!

Still using the Parasound HCA-3500 (350 watts per channel) when driving my 250Tis either full range or when used with the Kinergetics SW-800 subs. I have tried Hafler 9505 singly or a pair in mono (700 wpc) as well as a McIntosh 7270 (270 wpc) but keep coming back to the Parasound for the JBLs. Using the bridged Haflers produced the best bass but I can't stand the mechanical hum coming from both of these amps. No easy way to move them out of my room without ridiculously long cable runs.

Obsolete
    It is good see so many L250/Ti systems still in service and appreciated after all these years.
    It's pretty shocking.

I didn't realize that so many people had such good taste.

I'm not sure that the handfull of us 250Ti owners who still post here constitute "so many" but thanks for the compliment just the same :-).

Anyone happen to know the total production run of 250's over their lifespan ? I'd be surprised if it was more than a thousand pairs.

jblnut

Quote Originally Posted by jblnut View Post
    I'm not sure that the handfull of us 250Ti owners who still post here constitute "so many" but thanks for the compliment just the same :-).

Anyone happen to know the total production run of 250's over their lifespan ? I'd be surprised if it was more than a thousand pairs.

jblnut
    I asked Greg at the tribute dinner how many he thought were sold. He quickly quoted the number in dollars but did not know the unit sales. Sorry that the dollar number he gave us slips my mind. I could not fathom how to translate that into units sold and that number just didn't stick in my mind. It was a big enough number in dollars to equate to production of more than one thousand pair.
    David F
    San Jose

Crown Macro Reference......the 250Ti's sound amazing!
    JBL:250Ti,18Ti,L77,L96,L112,L36,4412,L80T,Custom3-way
    Altec:604E,1204B,1211A,1231A,920-8B,9849-8B,511Towers

Quote Originally Posted by gmarascortt View Post
    That I would love to hear!
    I've always wanted one but I don't think my house wiring can handle it.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Just to add to the list, I use a pair of Crown SA2 amps bridged mono. Maybe I'll find a way to listen to some other amplifiers, but Crown is all I've used over the past 30 years. I'm an Elkhart, IN guy and formed a loyalty to the company after working there during a summer break. Has anybody tried ATI?

Old thread, but having just acquired a set of single owner (now two I suppose), mint condition 250TIs after looking for nearly 5 years, I had to post something. After re-foaming the LE14s, I'm powering these beauties with a pair of Carver 240WPC Cherry 180 tube monoblocks and a McIntosh c2300 tube pre-amp. I've only been listening to them for a couple of days, but they sound amazing: Better clarity and separation than the L150As they're replacing. Not as punchy, but it'll be easy to get used to their less colored sound.
    L100A, L112, L166, L150A, 250TI, 4315B

Congrats on a fantastic speaker!! They are really easy to live with for sure!!
    Always fun learning more.......

Quote Originally Posted by sutekh View Post
    Old thread, but having just acquired a set of single owner (now two I suppose), mint condition 250TIs after looking for nearly 5 years, I had to post something. After re-foaming the LE14s, I'm powering these beauties with a pair of Carver 240WPC Cherry 180 tube monoblocks and a McIntosh c2300 tube pre-amp. I've only been listening to them for a couple of days, but they sound amazing: Better clarity and separation than the L150As they're replacing. Not as punchy, but it'll be easy to get used to their less colored sound.
    The sound of the 250Ti can be a little deceiving at first. It will be really apparent how well it does when you switch back to something else.
    David F
    San Jose

Quote Originally Posted by sutekh View Post
    I've only been listening to them for a couple of days, but they sound amazing: Better clarity and separation than the L150As they're replacing. Not as punchy, but it'll be easy to get used to their less colored sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidF View Post
    The sound of the 250Ti can be a little deceiving at first. It will be really apparent how well it does when you switch back to something else.
    well, that's the thang with 250ti's ..... I worked my way up the JBL food chain (L100, L166, L26,L36.L86 etc,etc) and drove to BC for my 250's without ever actually having heard a pair.

They were initially disappointing , having come from the punchy JBL bookshelves. but knowing their rep, I bought them anyway. Good decision. It did take a while to get used to them , they just seem so clean and uncolored now. And yes, their volume will scale up louder than I can stand without complaining.

I did the soak-on beeswax procedure and now they rather glow. Many see them and exclaim "WHAT are those ?" .... replacing stock crap feet is a MUST.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Originally Posted by gmarascortt
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    That I would love to hear!
    I've always wanted one but I don't think my house wiring can handle it.
    Funny to note, since this thread has been revived, that I now own a Crown Studio Reference II I've yet to actually deploy in a system. Happy to own it and excited to try it but I just need some time . . . and maybe some 250ti's?
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Thread Information