Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is Everyone Using to Power Their L250's / 250ti's

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question What is Everyone Using to Power Their L250's / 250ti's

I recently aquired a pair of 250ti's and I'm curious as to what everyone else is using. I have a Spec 1 preamp & a Spec 2 amp (250 wpc). The amp needs a rebuild but not sure at this point weather I should invest money into this set up or purchase something else. For the time being I am using a KW Model 600 Integrated Amp (130 wpc) and I am relatively pleased with this set-up. All recommendations are welcome, Thanks, Bob

I have been using a 375wpc BGW amp , but have developed a hum somewhere in the system , so have been pushing the 250Ti's with a 85wpc Denon receiver until I can dig into the wire nest and resolve hum ....

Both the big power and smaller power sources sound nice..the speakers dont seem to be really picky. had them on an Adcom GFA-555 (200wpc) for a while and it worked well too.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

350W Carver or 400W Sunfire depending on the system. They do really like high power even at lower volumes. But it's when you push them that the difference becomes apparent.

Parasound 5250 - Good
    DBX BX3MkII - better in some ways (Bass control), lesser in others (grittier highs).
    Onkyo M-508 - Pitiful (no bass control, ran out of power really quick).

Thanks for your input guys and keep them coming. These 250ti's sound so much better then my 240ti's. I was really surprised by how much better they would sound with the same amp and thought the 250ti's would be starving for power but it's not the case. But I know if I want a lot more volume my amp will run out quickly. These also seem more placement friendly and seems like they'll sound great wherever you put them. All in all I'm thrilled with these and never imagined they would sound this good.

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus Bob View Post
    seems like they'll sound great wherever you put them. All in all I'm thrilled with these and never imagined they would sound this good.
    Welcome to the club .....I bought mine just before the general sale price dropped abt 25% , but no matter , I got the teak that I wanted and they were in vgood shape ...be careful moving them around as the veneer around the bottom sides will splinter and come off when brushed against carpet.....better replacement feet are recommended.

wouldnt be a bad idea to check for extra 044Ti's , as insurance ...just saw one go on eBay for $50
    ONE JBL L-044Ti high frequency tweeter driver (black).

Item condition:--
    Ended:Sep 05, 201006:18:07 PDT

Sold For:US $50.00

It may seem silly, but they can benefit from a sub added into the mix.

There lots of threads around here abt the care and feeding of these beauties.

do you have pics yet ???

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    Welcome to the club .....I bought mine just before the general sale price dropped abt 25% , but no matter , I got the teak that I wanted and they were in vgood shape ...be careful moving them around as the veneer around the bottom sides will splinter and come off when brushed against carpet.....better replacement feet are recommended.
    Hi Seawolf97!! Before they came off the back of my pick up I replaced the feet with new nail on sliders like I used on the 240ti's. I get them from Home Depot and they work well. Mine are on tile so I can move them easily around the room. The price dropped due to the recession? With my 240's I always have a spare driver to borrow. The pictures are a little blurry. These were taken before I cleaned & waxed them.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus Bob View Post
    Hi Seawolf97!! The price dropped due to the recession?
    yes, I paid $2k and now you can get a nice pair in the $1500 range....

are yours upgraded to Ti ???? as they look like L250 cabinets, and if so ...the 044Ti is not the correct replacement driver.

250Ti's have 6 grommet holes on the face for the grills to set in and they stand out a little more from the drivers, where L250's do not have the 6 holes and grills attach with velcro.

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    yes, I paid $2k and now you can get a nice pair in the $1500 range....

are yours upgraded to Ti ???? as they look like L250 cabinets, and if so ...the 044Ti is not the correct replacement driver.

250Ti's have 6 grommet holes on the face for the grills to set in and they stand out a little more from the drivers, where L250's do not have the 6 holes and grills attach with velcro.
    This is the pair I bought. It was posted on this forum. They are L250's converted to Ti's.

See post #7

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...2-L250-on-eBay

I recently upgraded my 20+ year old L00T's to Piano Finish 250Ti Classic Editions....my dream speakers since i dont know when. I run them off a close to 60Kg Plinius SA250 MKIV Power amplifier. It has 2x sets of speaker terminals so i am BiWiring my 250Ti's....absolutely awesome. They are definitely harder to drive than my L100Ts(250's have 6ohm impedance and lower sensitivity)but the soundstage they produce is astonishing. The SA250 is conservatively Rated @250W RMS/Ch 8ohms. In Class A mode it absolutely controls the 250Ti's with exceptional ease.

In the past, I had a Crown Power Line Four.....not enough power, so I tried a Crown MacroTech 2400 to push the 250Ti's that were eventually destroyed in an '07 flood. The MT2400 sound was awesome, clean, really brought those 250Ti's to life!

After looking for the past five years, I finally pulled the trigger and purchased another set of 250Ti's. I just could not live without them anymore! LOL. Just received my latest 250Ti's this weekend, they are still crated.....and they may or may not need some work. I plan on using a newly purchased Crown Macro Reference, which I just had bench tested. Technician says "its a BEAST....a beautiful beast".

I will let everyone know when I get it all hooked-up!

Also....in the future, I may try mono block or bi-amping them.

Quote Originally Posted by gmarascortt View Post
    "....In the past, I had a Crown Power Line Four.....not enough power, so I tried a Crown MacroTech 2400 to push the 250Ti's that were eventually destroyed in an '07 flood. ..."
    I lived in, or near Seminole, as a kid for a while. I can't imagine how much water it would take to flood. Granted the area is surrounded by water and is likely below sea level in places. But it always seemed the ground was like a sponge to rain. I guess that's what a perfect storm and high tide can do.

It is good see so many L250/Ti systems still in service and appreciated after all these years.
    David F
    San Jose

Quote Originally Posted by DavidF View Post
    I lived in, or near Seminole, as a kid for a while. I can't imagine how much water it would take to flood. Granted the area is surrounded by water and is likely below sea level in places. But it always seemed the ground was like a sponge to rain. I guess that's what a perfect storm and high tide can do.

It is good see so many L250/Ti systems still in service and appreciated after all these years.
    David...
    This actually happened in Tallahassee, Florida. The city was installing new underground powerlines and broke a sewer main. We had 4 inches of raw sewage in our 1st floor. When I saw my speakers sitting in 4 inches of @%$*, I cried like a baby. We still have not settled!!

Obsolete
    It's pretty shocking.

I didn't realize that so many people had such good taste.

Old thread, but having just acquired a set of single owner (now two I suppose), mint condition 250TIs after looking for nearly 5 years, I had to post something. After re-foaming the LE14s, I'm powering these beauties with a pair of Carver 240WPC Cherry 180 tube monoblocks and a McIntosh c2300 tube pre-amp. I've only been listening to them for a couple of days, but they sound amazing: Better clarity and separation than the L150As they're replacing. Not as punchy, but it'll be easy to get used to their less colored sound.
    L100A, L112, L166, L150A, 250TI, 4315B

Thread Information