Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What is Everyone Using to Power Their L250's / 250ti's

Back to using the McIntosh MC7270 for the 250Tis and MC2205 for the Kinergetics SW-800 subwoofer towers.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Currently I am powering my Everest II clones off an iPod dock and they sound fantastic. It's nice to know that there is nowhere to go but up without any end in sight.

My first JBL "system" was a single (mono) 030 I rescued from the curb awaiting the Goodwill truck after my father bought a Fisher 400 and two small speakers to go "stereo". I ran it originally off of the earphone outlet from a ChannelMaster transistor radio. I recall being about 10-years-old at the time. Sounded amazing!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    The unholy, menage-a-trois offspring of the L250, 250Ti, and PT800 that grumpy and I incubated into the PT250 has this power behind it:

044Ti tweeters driven by first Hafler SR2300 (300W/ch)
    904Ti mids driven by second Hafler SR2300 (300W/ch)
    908Ti midbass driven by third Hafler SR2300 (300W/ch)
    LE14H-1 woofers driven by Hafler SR2600 (600W/ch)

Each PT250 is managed by a four way electronic speaker management system (BSS 366T Omnidrive), and I can testify that my ears give out before the amps and the drivers break a sweat.

My office pair of L250s is bi-amped by a pair of Soundcraftmsen S400 amps being fed through a Soundcraftsmen AE-2000 thing-a-majig and that combo seems to have no upper limit as well.
    Can anyone say "headroom"?

New old amp. Marantz PM 15 to drive the 250's. Havn't heard them sing any better yet. The soundstage is astonishing. I discovered a song that plays sounds from behind the back on this stereo setup. Nuts. Digging every album and single. I hope everyone could get an amp this good. I doubt a further upgrade is possible without spending lots more. Hopefully I'll be able to do a shootout with some top players in the future like the Accuphase E-460 which has similar specs on paper. Here it is:

In the past, I had a Crown Power Line Four.....not enough power, so I tried a Crown MacroTech 2400 to push the 250Ti's that were eventually destroyed in an '07 flood. The MT2400 sound was awesome, clean, really brought those 250Ti's to life!

After looking for the past five years, I finally pulled the trigger and purchased another set of 250Ti's. I just could not live without them anymore! LOL. Just received my latest 250Ti's this weekend, they are still crated.....and they may or may not need some work. I plan on using a newly purchased Crown Macro Reference, which I just had bench tested. Technician says "its a BEAST....a beautiful beast".

I will let everyone know when I get it all hooked-up!

Also....in the future, I may try mono block or bi-amping them.

Nice to see this thread alive again. It's been a year and a half now since I bought mine. I'm using the same amp set-up as member "Brutal" with 2 bridged Yamaha PC2002's @ 700 wpc with a C70 preamp. I removed one amp and the difference in sound between 240 wpc (1 amp) and the 2 units bridged was amazing. Needless to say I am sticking to the bridged version, I love these speakers!

Quote Originally Posted by Amnes View Post
    New old amp. Marantz PM 15 to drive the 250's. Havn't heard them sing any better yet. The soundstage is astonishing. I discovered a song that plays sounds from behind the back on this stereo setup. Nuts. Digging every album and single. I hope everyone could get an amp this good. I doubt a further upgrade is possible without spending lots more. Hopefully I'll be able to do a shootout with some top players in the future like the Accuphase E-460 which has similar specs on paper. Here it is:

The amp looks nice. Reminds me of my ma9s2's. What is the power on that? When was it produced?
    Careful man, there's a beverage here!

It's from around 1994. Very rare in 220V. Specs mention 150WPC @ 8R, but the gentleman that overhauled it measured a whopping 185WPC of output. I hope to never let it go. I havn't heard a better amp to date. Even the knobs turn like on no other amp (ball bearings?). It just came in from Holland and I found both the phono and balanced input circuits not functioning so there is still more potential to uncover after I get that fixed. It's a heavy piece too. Here are some more specs and stuff:

http://www.thevintageknob.org/marantz-PM-15.html

http://audio-database.com/MARANTZ/amp/pm-15-e.html

Marantz MA9S2's and the matching preamp are the only amps I'd ever consider upgrading to mostly due to their appearance - on par with the pm15 IMO, plus their build quality suggests a possible sonic upgrade too. I will get those one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Amnes View Post
    It's from around 1994. Very rare in 220V. Specs mention 150WPC @ 8R, but the gentleman that overhauled it measured a whopping 185WPC of output. I hope to never let it go. I havn't heard a better amp to date. Even the knobs turn like on no other amp (ball bearings?). It just came in from Holland and I found both the phono and balanced input circuits not functioning so there is still more potential to uncover after I get that fixed. It's a heavy piece too. Here are some more specs and stuff:

http://www.thevintageknob.org/marantz-PM-15.html

http://audio-database.com/MARANTZ/amp/pm-15-e.html

Marantz MA9S2's and the matching preamp are the only amps I'd ever consider upgrading to mostly due to their appearance - on par with the pm15 IMO, plus their build quality suggests a possible sonic upgrade too. I will get those one day.

From The Vintage Knob (see specs at bottom of the page)

20Hz...20Khz output : 2x 150W (8 Ohm)
    2x 190W (6 Ohm)
    2x 250W (4 Ohm)

I have the Marantz MA9S2 mono blocks, SC7S2, SA7S1 with JBL 1400 Arrays. I do beleive the woofer is very similar. I would love to hear the 250's sometime.
    Careful man, there's a beverage here!

Quote Originally Posted by gmarascortt View Post
    "....In the past, I had a Crown Power Line Four.....not enough power, so I tried a Crown MacroTech 2400 to push the 250Ti's that were eventually destroyed in an '07 flood. ..."
    I lived in, or near Seminole, as a kid for a while. I can't imagine how much water it would take to flood. Granted the area is surrounded by water and is likely below sea level in places. But it always seemed the ground was like a sponge to rain. I guess that's what a perfect storm and high tide can do.

It is good see so many L250/Ti systems still in service and appreciated after all these years.
    David F
    San Jose

Quote Originally Posted by DavidF View Post
    I lived in, or near Seminole, as a kid for a while. I can't imagine how much water it would take to flood. Granted the area is surrounded by water and is likely below sea level in places. But it always seemed the ground was like a sponge to rain. I guess that's what a perfect storm and high tide can do.

It is good see so many L250/Ti systems still in service and appreciated after all these years.
    David...
    This actually happened in Tallahassee, Florida. The city was installing new underground powerlines and broke a sewer main. We had 4 inches of raw sewage in our 1st floor. When I saw my speakers sitting in 4 inches of @%$*, I cried like a baby. We still have not settled!!

Quote Originally Posted by gmarascortt View Post
    David...
    This actually happened in Tallahassee, Florida. The city was installing new underground powerlines and broke a sewer main. We had 4 inches of raw sewage in our 1st floor. When I saw my speakers sitting in 4 inches of @%$*, I cried like a baby. We still have not settled!!
    Oy. Yeah, that sounds bad. Like a total walk away situation.
    David F
    San Jose

I have tried various amps with the Ti250's. John Iverson Eagle 7A two units at a little over 1HP.
    Perreaux 5550B at 500 WPC and some Krell KMA 400's. Each 1 had some different sonic signature.
    All though the Krell's have less power they produced the best results. Also many Crown's too.

Would it be wise to get a pair of Mcintosh 601 mono blocks for my 250 Ti?

Currently using an hk 16a, much softer than the crowns...
    Well why not it's just one more pair...
    4340's and 250ti's what an odd pair...

Thread Information