Thread: Not sure whether to keep 604's

Not sure whether to keep 604's

I have a pair of 604e's and am unsure whether i want to keep them. i have had the speakers for 25 years and was wondering what i should ask for them if i decide to sell them?

• And where i should try to sell them if i decide to finally get rid of them?
    • Should i jsut list them on ebay?

i live in Adelaide Australia.
    what would be a good smaller speaker to replace them?
    i would appreciate any input.
    Cheers guys.

clmrt
    What is it about them that makes you dissatisfied?

Being in Australia you're much closer to the prime market for those, Asia. Ebay would be the best spot to list them.

Quote Originally Posted by greenm View Post
    I have a pair of 604e's and am unsure whether i want to keep them. i have had the speakers for 25 years and was wondering what i should ask for them if i decide to sell them?

• And where i should try to sell them if i decide to finally get rid of them?
    • Should i jsut list them on ebay?
    i live in Adelaide Australia.
    what would be a good smaller speaker to replace them?
    i would appreciate any input.
    Cheers guys.

I don't see anything quite smaller unless if you want tha same sound I would suggest the GPA 12 "
    speaker but the box will still be quite big. You'l have HI Q and same definition .

The neerfield speaker is more of a tool than a long tterm listening speaker. I don't recommend it. Unless yourinto post production sound effects editing etc.

Reply 604e

Quote Originally Posted by clmrt View Post
    What is it about them that makes you dissatisfied?

Being in Australia you're much closer to the prime market for those, Asia. Ebay would be the best spot to list them.
    Sorry busy At uni and didnt realise the posts wouldnt be forwarded on to me. Do you have any idea what price I should ask for them (they cost me a small fortune when I bought them?)

The fact that you're questioning the move means that you'll kick yourself for doing it and end up buying another pair within three years and paying more than you sold them for. The market is saturated and they're going cheap these days. Keep them and you won't be sorry.

[QUOTE=greenm;289865] . . . . what would be a good smaller speaker to replace them? . . . . /QUOTE]

If you are planning on sticking with the coaxial concept and don't mind hunting for something a little esoteric, your return on the 604e's should (nearly, if you can find someone asking a reasonable price) enable you to buy a pair of Manley Labs/Tannoy 10B's. The Tannoy Super Red and Super Gold ten-inch monitors use the same coaxial driver (2558), and are cheaper, and are almost as good (differences in crossover and cabinet). They are made for fairly close listening and used that way the imaging is remarkable. You will need to add a subwoofer for either. Of course there are also the later System 10 etc Tannoy monitors, but I have not listened to them and so cannot say what they are like. The older Monitor Gold Alnico 10-inchers are nice as well

If you are going outside the coaxial world, it's a universe, but it was posted here recently that JBL is selling of the Array 800. I have not heard them, but have heard the large speakers in the series--quite good. The Array 800 with subwoofer has been recommended here before.

Thread Information