Thread: JBL Family Reunion

JBL Family Reunion

Just thought I would post some pics from the family reunion of my mid-70's JBL's. It's not very often that they are all in one room. Absent from the photos are my 4333A's cuz they're way to heavy to lug around the house by myself.

Actually, it wasn't really a family reunion I was bored so I decided to do some side-by-side listening comparisons. The results of the listening test were as you would expect with the 4341's having by far the best sound.

Two surprises from the listening experiment were:

1) How much better the 4341's are than the L220's. Until I got the 4341's I had been listening to the L220's for quite some time... now when I go back and re-listen to the L220's I feel like they have pretty noticeable limitations. In particular I feel like the L220's lack strength in the bottom end. The passive radiator set-up doesn't - in my opinion - compare with the 15" - 2231's in the 4431's.

2) When I listened to certain vocal and horn tracks on the L220's the mid-range capability left me wanting to plug in the 4341's.

It is important to note that I paid more than three times as much for the 4341's than the L220's so I don't know why I think they should be comparable.

Oh and one last thing: Yes I know that the 2405 driver on the 4341 is incorrectly mounted (I need to rotate it 90 degrees)... I just haven't gotten around to fixing it.
    Name:  DSC_1726.JPG
Views: 2329
Size:  518.2 KBName:  DSC_1712.jpg
Views: 2170
Size:  80.8 KBName:  DSC_1678.jpg
Views: 1419
Size:  48.9 KBName:  DSC_1688.jpg
Views: 2149
Size:  58.6 KB
    My biggest fear is that, after I am dead, my kids will sell my audio equipment for what I told them I paid for it.

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyFinn View Post
    My biggest fear is that, after I am dead, my kids will sell my audio equipment for what I told them I paid for it.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Lovely, lovely, lovely.

That's a very proud representation of Lansing Heritage.

Well done!
    Out.

Although, I'm seriously disappointed you didn't risk a hernia and bring the big boys in.
    Out.

L220 vs. JUBAL's

1) How much better the 4341's are than the L220's.
    So tell us how do you think the L220's compare to the Jubals?
    Vintage JBL and Altec fan

Quote Originally Posted by shaansloan View Post
    So tell us how do you think the L220's compare to the Jubals?
    In my opinion, the Jubals compare very favorably to the L220's. In fact, I could argue that the L65's outperformed the L220's. I have owned the Jubals for a long time and yet this was the first time I matched them with the MC2255 McIntosh amp... it is a great combo. If you take into account how much easier it was to drag the Jubals up a flight of stairs (I.e. in contrast to moving around the L220's) then the Jubals are hands down winners.

In the photos it shows the Jubals sitting on the floor (cuz that worked best for the family photo) but when I was listening to them I had them sitting on top of rubber mats on top of the 4341's. With that placement they were really quite pleasing.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    Lovely, lovely, lovely.

That's a very proud representation of Lansing Heritage.

Well done!
    Agreed- very, very nice. Great photos.

je

Wow - Nice share!
    I'd imagine when you have them all spread out, you have lots of place to listen to music well!

Just thought I would post some pics from the family reunion of my mid-70's JBL's.
    It's not very often that they are all in one room. Absent from the photos are my 4333A's cuz they're way to heavy to lug around the house by myself.

Two surprises -:

1) How much better the 4341's are than the L220's.
    2) When I listened to certain vocal and horn tracks on the L220's the mid-range capability left me wanting to plug in the 4341's.

It is important to note that I paid more than three times as much for the 4341's than the L220's so I don't know why I think they should be comparable.
    Oh and one last thing: Yes I know that the 2405 driver on the 4341 is incorrectly mounted (I need to rotate it 90 degrees)... I just haven't gotten around to fixing it.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

What a great set of pics!!!

What a great room and I don't buy the "I was bored" line one bit!!

Scotty.

ps. It kind of reminds me of a JBL swinger's party!
    One step above: "Two Tin Cans and a String!"
    Longtime Alaskan Low-Fi Guy - E=MC² ±3db

Quote Originally Posted by SMKSoundPro View Post
    ps: It kind of reminds me of a JBL swinger's party!
    Funny you should say that because I went to answer the phone at one point and when I came back into the room I caught the L220's in a compromising position with the Jubals.

Great collection I'll be posting mine pretty soon.

Awesome! I'd leave it like that all year around! Looks like a showroom.

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus Bob View Post
    Awesome! I'd leave it like that all year around! Looks like a showroom.
    It IS very cool, but - there may be an intervening SAF/WAF issue that prevents him from making it a permanent display!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    It IS very cool, but - there may be an intervening SAF/WAF issue that prevents him from making it a permanent display!
    Hmmmm nope, there's no SAF or WAF issue cuz there's just me rattling around this place shaking the walls with my JBL's.

Ever heard of NAF? (Neighbor Acceptance Factor?) A friend of my son, who live across the back lane from me, mentioned to my son at school one day that his family can sometimes hear me playing my stereo... and their house, which is like 200 feet from mine, is new so it probably has minimal street noise... I guess that means I've been playing my music a bit too loud eh? But hey, they're called "loud speakers" aren't they?

Gorgeous collection you have there! Thanks for sharing those pics! Mark

Thread Information