Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wood Horns

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Banks View Post
    Thanks!
    I was hoping to own a pair of TAD 4001's with the proceeds from the sale of the 4355's. Since the 4355's haven't found a new owner yet, I have horns but no drivers. The rest of the story goes back a few months. Instead of gearing up to build a single pair of large format horns, it kind of made sense at the time to do a small production run of four pair. One pair for myself and three on speculation. The original plan was to use a duplicating machine to cut down on the labor involved. After assembling the duplicarver, it was now obvious that it was not large enough to handle the job. Anyone need a duplicarver? LOL
    To slow things down further, I injured myself using a rotohammer drilling holes in concrete. Carpal tunnel has currently put a damper on my woodworking abilities. I have three horns completed and have a stack of 10 glued up blanks waiting on me to heal. I will post a few more photos a bit later.
    These horns look great, so they are for sale?
    kwingylee

Quote Originally Posted by kwingylee View Post
    These horns look great, so they are for sale?
    I first want to test the performance before I make them available for sale. If all goes well, I will have a total of three pairs up for grabs sometime in October.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Those are nice.

I need to finish a few of the projects in my shop... you may have motivated me.

Thanks
    eso
    30Hz Bass Horns/K151, Custom mid bass & midrange horns/Cogent DS 1428 & 1448 field coil drivers, Fostex T925a tweeters.

Thanks!
    I was hoping to own a pair of TAD 4001's with the proceeds from the sale of the 4355's. Since the 4355's haven't found a new owner yet, I have horns but no drivers. The rest of the story goes back a few months. Instead of gearing up to build a single pair of large format horns, it kind of made sense at the time to do a small production run of four pair. One pair for myself and three on speculation. The original plan was to use a duplicating machine to cut down on the labor involved. After assembling the duplicarver, it was now obvious that it was not large enough to handle the job. Anyone need a duplicarver? LOL
    To slow things down further, I injured myself using a rotohammer drilling holes in concrete. Carpal tunnel has currently put a damper on my woodworking abilities. I have three horns completed and have a stack of 10 glued up blanks waiting on me to heal. I will post a few more photos a bit later.
    Woody, I'll tell you, you do have talent. Now, I know that IF you could produce these horns, YOU could sell them, and sell enough to finance owning a pair of BRAND NEW TAD-4001. I read about your other things that are limiting factors, BUT YOU CAN OVERCOME THEM! I believe this!

OK, carpal tunnel syndrome means you won't build 100 pairs a month, BUT there must be some medical attention to help with this condition, and maybe some non narcotic pain management? Your horns are really GREAT looking, and IF you could sell three to four pairs a month!!! Because there are people that WANT horns like these, you have already got response to this effect in this thread. Horns like these, made from quality woods, will fetch handsome prices, especially if the prices, even though NOT inexpensive, are still less than those from major manufacturers. And, I also say, WE LOVE INDIVIDUALLY MADE PRODUCTS from small entity people, because they are usually made with tremendous care and pride and attention to detail!

And, YEAH, TH-4001 sound INCREDIBLE on wood horns!
    scottyj

I first want to test the performance before I make them available for sale. If all goes well, I will have a total of three pairs up for grabs sometime in October.
    Hey Woody could you please post those measurements when available and will they have a universal mounting flange for Altec/JBL, Tad, etc... Drivers. One size fits all ! Regards ~ John
    "James B. Lansing" = Lansing Manufacturing ~ Altec Lansing ~ JBL

Cost $$$ Of the Tad's

How much do those TAD's cost.I have a feeling it will be quite Ridiculous !!!

Woody
    How much $$$ do you think will cost a pair of such radial horns at the end??

Quote Originally Posted by felixx View Post
    Woody
    How much $$$ do you think will cost a pair of such radial horns at the end??
    There is so much hand labor involved that I need to price the pair @ $1000 USD plus shipping.

Regards
    Woody

There is so much hand labor involved that I need to price the pair @ $1000 USD plus shipping.

Regards
    Woody
    You know what, Woody? THAT is actually a VERY reasonable price. IF you can really make and sell these for that number, and turn a profit, I honestly think you can sell as many pairs as you could make! Have you checked what other makers sell pairs of their wood horns for? Even when TAD was still making theirs, they were extremely expensive. I am not saying you shouldn't sell horns this economically, but I am saying check what the current pricing for horns like yours, made by others is!

Then again, IF you can make em, and sell em at that price, you'll have all the orders for them you could want! I BELIEVE this. A nice side business like this can fund your audio hobby, to the utmost.

And again, YOUR HORNS ARE REALLY NICE!
    scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post
    Woody, I'll tell you, you do have talent. Now, I know that IF you could produce these horns, YOU could sell them, and sell enough to finance owning a pair of BRAND NEW TAD-4001. I read about your other things that are limiting factors, BUT YOU CAN OVERCOME THEM! I believe this!

OK, carpal tunnel syndrome means you won't build 100 pairs a month, BUT there must be some medical attention to help with this condition, and maybe some non narcotic pain management? Your horns are really GREAT looking, and IF you could sell three to four pairs a month!!! Because there are people that WANT horns like these, you have already got response to this effect in this thread. Horns like these, made from quality woods, will fetch handsome prices, especially if the prices, even though NOT inexpensive, are still less than those from major manufacturers. And, I also say, WE LOVE INDIVIDUALLY MADE PRODUCTS from small entity people, because they are usually made with tremendous care and pride and attention to detail!

And, YEAH, TH-4001 sound INCREDIBLE on wood horns!
    Thanks Scotty for the kind words and encourgage. You are correct about the carpal tunnel, it's nothing but a speed bump in the highway of life.
    I will continue to build wooden horns but not without some kind of mechcanized process to help reduce the hand labor. The duplicarver I put together will work fine for the smaller 1.5" format horns but is too restricted for the A-290 design. The CNC idea is interesting but doesn't fit my shoestring budget. I was thinking of something along the lines of inventions I have seen on the Red Green Show. Just remember, "We are all in this together".

Price !

Woody ,

there are some Iwata horns here for 2.600.00 euro and they are made from GRP ... I think your selling yourself a little short my friend I think 1500 bucks a pair, and no one is getting taken advantage of . Its just my opinion.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by richluvsound View Post
    Woody ,

there are some Iwata horns here for 2.600.00 euro and they are made from GRP ... I think your selling yourself a little short my friend I think 1500 bucks a pair, and no one is getting taken advantage of . Its just my opinion.

Rich
    That is what I was saying, too! I am glad someone else is seconding my feelings. Rich, and Woody, that $1500/pr is a RIGHT number to me, and still falls within the realm of very good pricing that remains affordable and attainable.

And Woody, tools can be purchased, some really good deals on used tools can also be had. If you could find the best tools for the job that you like to use, and get a great price on pristine preowned tools, this is the direction I would consider.

And, like I already said, I think IF you could manufacture three to four pairs of horns per month, they would sell. And then, ONCE your doing it, and are achieving success, that just paves the way, and puts you exactly where you want to be, emotionally and financially. It's a WIN WIN situation.

scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by richluvsound View Post
    Woody ,

Rich
    Rich, you and Scotty are right. Looking back, there is a butt load of work that goes into the horns that needs to be accounted for. I will adjust my price accordingly when I have them ready for sale. Thanks again for the advice.

Woody

Anyone ???

Quote Originally Posted by Altec Best View Post
    How much do those TAD's cost.I have a feeling it will be quite Ridiculous !!!
    Anyone know the cost of those TAD drivers ? Anyone ?

@Woody there is a tremendous amount of hand labor with regard to making those Horns Woody as a carpenter I agree a lot of work. Stunning work too! Your very talented

Best Wishes ~ John

Quote Originally Posted by Altec Best View Post
    Anyone know the cost of those TAD drivers ? Anyone ?
    According to this link you can buy the TD-4001s new for $2420 each:

http://www.proaudiodesign.com/index....cts/tad_td4001

Audiogon has them for $1600 a pair used:

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....0&/TAD-TD-4001

Thread Information