Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Wood Horns

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Banks View Post
    Thanks Rich

I was able to pick up a nice 2450J. When I win the lottery I will replace the phrams with the truextents. I didn't realize that the 2450 was a 1.5" driver with a flared snout.
    The snouted beasties seem to be measuring very good, stay tuned for some results with different drivers and different diaphragms including Truextent.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    Got mine today, and they are really nice. And heavy

Good job, Woody. I wish more people could see these in person.

(And I think they were packed to withstand re-entry!)
    Thanks Jeff

Those horns are from the 'limited edition" class because my Tiger wood supply has gone away. I am glad they survived the trip.

It's nice wood, pretty hard! Just another reason that these things are "limited edition" no matter what, I can't imagine the effort that went into shaping that stuff.

I'm sure happy with them, and they match (color/grain, etc.) just perfectly. Pics still don't do them justice!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    The snouted beasties seem to be measuring very good, stay tuned for some results with different drivers and different diaphragms including Truextent.
    I'm pretty sure it's going to be 2450BE's. These horns are going to want all the extension available.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

OK I know this has been a long time coming. I have a story to tell you, something that doesn't happen often enough.

I got this pair of horns from Woody to measure and create the crossover and EQ parameters for JeffW. I had been working in LEAP on the 2227 for the possible implementation of them into my main system and had constructed the enclosures and measured them fairly extensivly. I did this last summer but never listened to them. When the horns showed up before Cristmas I ran all my different drivers across them at 2m on axis, 2441Al, 2441Ti, 2446Ti and 2450Ti and then did my first full polar 5° increment measurement of them.

I brought in the 2227's and the Woody's with the 2446Ti's, set them up on top of my subs, (GTI1800,s in 9ft³ enclosures) sat down in front of the DBX 260 and entered the previously worked out signal delays, crossover slopes and EQ curve, (no computer of measurement gear in the room) powered it up, popped in a CD, set the driver levels by ear and within 20 seconds my 14 year old daughter (who plays sax and has ears) is out of her room and said WOW! Soon follwed my 18 year old son.

That was about noon on a Sunday, we just fed discs through it for hours! Over and over again my kids said "You just have such a great collectiion of music!" At 10PM I said it's a school night, we need to shut this off and get to bed, at 11PM I said the same thing, at 30 seconds to midnight I forced my self to turn it off. We didn't stop to eat or anything, the system got completely out of the way and it was all about the music. Everything we played sounded great, I have a lot of stuff that when your playing it loud at certain parts you just turn it down because something gets harsh or shrill, not that day, or since. No looking for music that made the system sound good, just the opposite. This kind of thing just does not happen often enough!

The hard drive in my laptop failed taking the LEAP Enclosure shop and Crossover shop details as well as the TEF Polar data to wherever it goes when that happens, I have the program in DBX saved and the enclosures of course.

I finally took a measurement of the system from my listening position about 11 feet from the speakers head height at the couch and think I see a reason I like it so much.

There is zero smoothiing applied to this measurement, with the tracking filter width the data is rock solid to down to 750 Hz and believable to 375 Hz or there about. Obviously there is no tweeter.

Be diaphragms go in this week.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    There is zero smoothiing applied to this measurement
    Oh no you did-int!

Be diaphragms go in this week.
    Yeah, yeah...

Truextent Be's in. In short, they initially sound quieter, then i realized what's missing is noise, the have great definition. Suttle and real.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    Truextent Be's in. In short, they initially sound quieter, then i realized what's missing is noise, the have great definition. Suttle and real.
    Yep, they're the rage.

Basically they make compression drivers actually useful for music playback.

One or possibly two pair of horns remaining. Nothing planned for the future. Price reduced to $1300 plus shipping.
    Instead of wooden horns, I have decided to try something that involves a profit this time. I was thinking of a line of wooden sex toys called Woody's Woodpeckers.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Banks View Post
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Instead of wooden horns, I have decided to try something that involves a profit this time.
    I know what you mean... I built a few horns years ago and while it was very satisfying and I made a few people happy, it certainly wasn't a profit center.

Widget

Soon my 1" horn exit will be available for sale.
    http://picasaweb.google.com/felixanex/Horn#
    Still need to dry.

Quote Originally Posted by felixx View Post
    Still need to dry.
    Good luck in your venture... I hope it works out for you.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by felixx View Post
    Still need to dry.
    Woah ... I almost felt a little movement downstairs looking at those pics!
    Show us what ya got: Homebuilt Hi-Fi

Finished:
    https://picasaweb.google.com/felixanex/Horn#

Thanks.
    A real challenge for me will be TH 4003 ...but maded from plywood.I don't find ANY detalis,angles or internal measurements of this horn....anywhere....
    I'll search even more....

Any thoughts?

I love wood horns

I love these threads about wood horns. I would love to build a pair too. This passed weekend I was at a club and in the booth they were using these.
    the owner said they were CNC'ed from walnut, that they were the TAD design for the drivers they were using - TAD 4001 drivers I think, 12s were TAD as well..

Thread Information