Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wood Horns

Flies !

Woody ,

there are those that would take advantage and not think twice about it . I have had experiences in the past . I quote a price and then realize I have shorted myself to the point of slave labour . Now I back out and piss people off....... I have also had people come to me and offer to pay me more as it was obvious I had not charged enough. I can't imagine that happening too often , especially here . The forums are full of ..... Mates Just there for the free ride,those who actually contribute very little in any meaningful way..... They just wait and pounce when you are desperate enough to sell yourself ... They don't pm you and offer you work making horns at respectful rate ,they wait till your on your arse !

Personally , I don't need friends that badly. Fortunately the people I do the most speaker work for tell me when I'm not charging enough. Its cool now ,but there is still parasites out there .

Rich
    Last edited by scott fitlin; 09-22-2010 at 03:18 PM. Reason: author's request

Yeah, they are MUCHO EXPENSIVE! The TAD Pioneer website has the LIST price at $2860ea! OUCH, but, TAD IS TAD!

The TAD drivers are that good, though!

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...sionalSpeakers
    scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by jerry_rig View Post
    According to this link you can buy the TD-4001s new for $2420 each:

http://www.proaudiodesign.com/index....cts/tad_td4001

Audiogon has them for $1600 a pair used:

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....0&/TAD-TD-4001
    Yes, I spotted the AudioGon pair but one diaphragm is bad. Normally you would want to change the pair to keep them matched properly. Chaching!

Is there a huge difference ?

Woody,

I know the phase plug was redesigned in the 4003 and the 4002
    is a completely different beast . I wondering what 2440 -41 would sound like with a new T-E Be Dia .

1600 for 2 motors and then spend money on new Be dia ..... The 4001 is not that much better than 2440 if atall . Where as the 4003 is a different ball game - the price reflects that .

The 2450 comes highly recommended with new Be Dia . Looks odd on the back of that sexy horn ,but I have thought about making a funky cover for the back cap . What do you think ?

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Banks View Post
    Yes, I spotted the AudioGon pair but one diaphragm is bad. Normally you would want to change the pair to keep them matched properly. Chaching!
    Be careful on the used ones. You do not want to use an aftermarket diaphragm (although there may be one exception). The OEM diaphragms are about $1,600 a pair, IIRC.

Boy, the numbers add up don't they.

-Tom

Quote Originally Posted by richluvsound View Post
    Fortunately the people I do the most speaker work for tell me when I'm not charging enough. Its cool now ,but there is still scum out there .

Rich
    Interesting business model you have there Rich, calling potential customers if they fail to pay you more than the agreed price 'scum' must have them queueing out the door.

Quote Originally Posted by cooky1257 View Post
    Interesting business model you have there Rich, calling potential customers if they fail to pay you more than the agreed price 'scum' must have them queueing out the door.
    thats just my point .... its not a BUSINESS its a hobby... that at times we all get to make a little money from. Most of us try to make things that we have never made before ; its a complete unknown and yet we have enough confidence to believe we can achieve the result we imagine . What is often not considered is the amount of trial and error ,effort, money and time that goes into the final result .
    How can one quantify , let alone quote the un-forseen .

The point I was making to WOODY is that there are people out there that will take advantage, even though they know the vendor has grossly under-charged for a service or product - and also that there those that would never accept that and offer to pay extra, but rather insist that ,infact it has not been a mistake and that infact, it was a CON. These people are scum In my book ... They have branded one as a cheat , and a thief , when really all the vendor was trying to do was have some fun with a hobby and also benefit a fellow hobbyist .

The strange thing is .... It has been a few fellow members here that have pointed out to me ,as I and Scot have done to Woody, that he was looking to get taken advantage of .....( as I was ) and that he was under-pricing a minimum of 30% based on the market value . There are Iwata horns made of fibreglass that are priced at 2600 euro a pair and selling well .... thats $ 3,400.00 Cooky . That is an Italian company making a profit not a friend trying to dig himself out of the shit by using his skills to the best of his knowledge .

http://www.jgaudio-systems.com/lesni...precos_en.html Hell these are 7,000 euro's and guess what ,these are wood and no harder to build than the 290s.

http://www.olimpiaudio.com/Prodotti/Iwata/Iwata.html

I think I have made my point ,good night ! and good luck WOODY my fellow wood butcher

Quote Originally Posted by richluvsound View Post
    The point I was making to WOODY is that there are people out there that will take advantage, even though they know the vendor has grossly under-charged for a service or product - and also that there those that would never accept that and offer to pay extra, but rather insist that ,infact it has not been a mistake and that infact, it was a CON. These people are scum In my book ... They have branded one as a cheat , and a thief , when really all the vendor was trying to do was have some fun with a hobby and also benefit a fellow hobbyist .

That is an Italian company making a profit not a friend trying to dig himself out of the shit by using his skills to the best of his knowledge .
    All that is based upon the warped supposition that the buyers know more than the vendor about how much work has gone into them(clearly impossible)and hence are trying to con them.
    In reality, as you've just demonstrated by your price examples, you are in fact far from clueless when it comes to knowing what the market charges for these things and together with Scott have let WOODY know a more realistic rate/price he can realise for his efforts/beautiful horns.

It is ridiculous for you to blame the purchaser for your own pricing-that is your responsibility.

It seems a little strange to be calling people/forum members scum on this thread while pleading for "community spirit/ lets put the past behind us" on another....

Woody,
    You could add me to the list of potential buyers.
    Nice work!

I first want to test the performance before I make them available for sale. If all goes well, I will have a total of three pairs up for grabs sometime in October.
    Very nice looking Horns, woody! Hope you do well with your sales!

2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

I first want to test the performance before I make them available for sale. If all goes well, I will have a total of three pairs up for grabs sometime in October.
    Thanks Woody, ultimately you need to decide on your price.

I have heard great sounding wood horns and bad sounding wood horns. Whether the price is $1K, $1.5K or whatever, I would be interested in the measurements. Anything more than $1,000 is consider a big money to me. If your price is reasonable, I would be interested.
    kwingylee

Quote Originally Posted by kwingylee View Post
    Thanks Woody, ultimately you need to decide on your price.

I have heard great sounding wood horns and bad sounding wood horns. Whether the price is $1K, $1.5K or whatever, I would be interested in the measurements. Anything more than $1,000 is consider a big money to me. If your price is reasonable, I would be interested.
    Fostex offers some similar product, for pricing guidelines.

wow they look fantastic!!

are you the one that made hjames' horns? she recently demoed them for me and they LOOK and SOUND beautiful!!

made me want to put something similar together

Quote Originally Posted by xncnc View Post
    wow they look fantastic!!

are you the one that made hjames' horns? she recently demoed them for me and they LOOK and SOUND beautiful!!

made me want to put something similar together
    Woody didn't have any for sale when I got mine - John W made the walnut horns I have now. They replaced a pair of JBL 2397 horns I had before - they didn't sound shabby either - and they may still be available - just check with Don Mascali. (member here)

2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

pocketchange

TAD makes a great motor but..

WOODY,
    darned if I wouldn't look to someone else for something to get me through the tough times and for a comparison to the high priced (TAD) spread.
    It took awhile but I put together a pair of 2482s for 19" trachorns and they sound fabulous. I'm guessing they would sound even better with a beautiful set of your horns.
    I'm sure the TAD driver is a killer but for that kind of outlay, I'd have a heck of a time verifying their expense since I have heard the JBLs and they are not (in the least)
    a shabby driver used in a three way system.
    VERY NICELY DONE SIR.

Thread Information