Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Altec Model 19 - replacement of 802 with TAD 2001 compression driver

Quote Originally Posted by donroth View Post
    Guys, with the flashlight at the right angle, I could see that the contact points were indeed visible from the vent holes in the back of the pots. Therefore, I just sprayed some deoxit in a few of the vents and worked the pots back and forth. I have installed the (upgraded) crossovers and the sound is great.

Thanks for your help. I'll still be keeping my eye on all things altec.

Sincerely,

Don
    Glad to hear your upgrades went so well. That is the same way that I cleaned the pots in my Model 19's (sprayed some deoxit in a few of the vents and worked the pots back and forth) and the pots are now whisper quiet when I rotate them.......

Quote Originally Posted by voice of theatr View Post
    Glad to hear your upgrades went so well. That is the same way that I cleaned the pots in my Model 19's (sprayed some deoxit in a few of the vents and worked the pots back and forth) and the pots are now whisper quiet when I rotate them.......
    Although my initial impressions were good, after extended listening sessions, I knew something was a bit off. It turns out that at identical crossover potentiometer positions for both left and right channel, the output is different by ~ 2dB. I noticed that placement of voices and instruments was not originally where I knew them to be on very familiar source material. I then put on a stereophile test disc to confirm this and reducing attenuation by exactly 2db in right channel (I have separate attenuators on my integrated amp for left and right channels) brings the proper balance. I know it is not the amp or cd player that is the problem since with the stock crossovers, balance is perfect. Once the balance is adjusted, the sound is superb. So going to have to track down the problem - I wonder if a resistor is out of specification. The resistors look newer but are identical to the ones in my original crossovers.

Thanks,

Don

Thread Information