Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Irwin Rocker cinema assembly

JBL 4645

Smile Irwin Rocker cinema assembly

The Irwin Rocker cinema seats have arrived!

I’ve been after some cinema seats for a few years now. Finally!

Wow its taken 20m minutes or so to carry these four boxes upstairs. My arms are feeling like jelly! But it feels good workout to bearing a sweat up.

I’m taking a shot maybe an hour break to let myself cool down before opening up the other boxes to find out what tools I’d need for the assembly.

[Take tissue to wipe sweat off face] SIGH I’m sweating like a pig, weeeeeeee.

The heaviest part was the sides for the seats that mounts the two parts back and seat and mounting plate to the floor are perfectly counterweighted that is they stand upright easily on there own.

I’m not sure if I can put these together on my own, I asked my dad if he as any tools like, (ratchet) as I’d imagine they’ll be (nuts and blots) to but together and I need my dad to at least hold the each seat while I put it together.

I’d have to make them all up and store them in bed room and living room, till I get the timber and MDF to make up the floor.

In the meantime I’ll see what’s inside to see if it’s manage it on my own, which I doubt.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

JBL 4645

Unpacking

I’ve been after some cinema seats for a few years now. Finally!

Okey Dokey, I think I’ve sussed out part of it I’ve asked the company if they have any picture instructions (via phone) also that I’m pleased with the delivery.

So there seems to be fixings attached to the seat parts that need to be locked in placed and secured. Also Sooty is taking curiosity, as he has to sniff and give it 5 paws approval.

Screw length is 2 ¾ which is about right for the flooring that I’ll put down.

Camera is eating up the flash power so I have to recharge every 5 or 8 shorts.

JBL 4645

Unpacking

Wow this is going to take weeks to put together, but I'd like to install the flooring and seats in one day. Well that's not going to happen this week! Have to wait till next week.

JBL 4645

Unpacking

Sooty has sniff
    What’s this in my domain! Okay I’ll have centre row please!

JBL 4645

Preassemble Irwin Rocker seat

I’ve managed to get one seat together with spanner turning the nut at a few turns as I have to readjust the spanner for the next turn. Wow these seats are heavy two along will weigh heavier than two seat sofa.

I think it’s all going to work as I’ve centred the Irwin Rocker centre to the sofa which is middle of the centreline of the room so two more ether side of it no sweat.

I was thinking of pushing it to 9 seats but I have to leave some space between the each row (legroom) I’ll suss that that out as I go along.

I have a bit of timber laying around I’ll see if I can’t knock together a temporary base platform for the seat to be screwed into. The screw fixings are (Allen key screws) more than enough as there are 4 holes per plate each side of the seating.

JBL 4645

Pre-assemble Irwin Rocker seat

I sat in gently as I couldn’t resist. The back is bit higher than the Rockers at the Empire Leicester Square by as much as 7 inches. Oh, yes, I like it. It’s been worth the wait.

Cup-holders as well! I’ll have to look around for some plastic drinking cups that fit snug into the hole.

Its slowly starting to come along now. Video projector needs a micro perforated screen walls need to be done on the left hand side of the room. Base platform for the front channels needs to be constructed. Some basic room treatment for the walls sigh, yeah its going to take a bit more longer but its starting to come together.

JBL 4645

Sizing up sofa vs Irwin Rocker seat

Measurement of sofa depth 33 inches
    Measurement of Irwin Rocker cinema seat 22 inches (11 inches difference in fitting these in).

JBL 4645

Irwin Rockers seats

Tied the kitchen moved it most of it into the bedroom for later assembly.

Sooty is hiding up in his Sooty shack. I think it’s the smell of the seats or the sheer sight of confusion of the metal clanging as I fix them together that is scarring him. He’ll settle down in few days.

JBL 4645
    So far I can see an 18 to 20 inch leg room between each row.

Each width is about 26 inches wide so all three butted up together for each row should give me, feet 6 inches or 78 inches. Width of space to fit this in is 9 feet or108 inches.

This leaves a tight foot 3 inches or 15 inches to walk around whew! Now that’s tight!

The length may change when the flooring is laid down but with a rough 5 foot 2 inches or62 inches length with an 18 inch leg room space between

9 seats would be pushing the limit of space but its double but I’ll stick with 6, still its 4 seats extra over the two seat sofa.

The seats will have to be careful positioned particularly the back row that with clear viewing. I’d have to get myself sorted with a few extra microphones to place at each seat and get the near best sound frequency tolerance level with clear stereo front spread as well as uniform surround coverage, thou that part is mostly sorted a few extra more surrounds might do.

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    looks like you're having some fun...

cinema seats, who'd a thunk it?

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    So far I can see an 18 to 20 inch leg room between each row.

Each width is about 26 inches wide so all three butted up together for each row should give me, feet 6 inches or 78 inches. Width of space to fit this in is 9 feet or108 inches.

This leaves a tight foot 3 inches or 15 inches to walk around whew! Now that’s tight!

The length may change when the flooring is laid down but with a rough 5 foot 2 inches or62 inches length with an 18 inch leg room space between

9 seats would be pushing the limit of space but its double but I’ll stick with 6, still its 4 seats extra over the two seat sofa.

The seats will have to be careful positioned particularly the back row that with clear viewing. I’d have to get myself sorted with a few extra microphones to place at each seat and get the near best sound frequency tolerance level with clear stereo front spread as well as uniform surround coverage, thou that part is mostly sorted a few extra more surrounds might do.

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by louped garouv View Post
    looks like you're having some fun...

cinema seats, who'd a thunk it?

Fun yeah I guess you can call it fun.

I might have made a miscalculation of the width its 9 foot 1inch this would leave shallow 13 inches to walk around rule of thumb for now. I’d have to wait till they are all mated together to find out how much space there is to walk around.

I think the bass sounds different with the seats the seating height is about the same as the sofa when sat down in it might sink and extra 2 or 3 inches down. The so the Irwin Rocker will be level about the same height as the sofa when not sat in it.

Question is which Rocker do I like? I like the ones in Empire 1

EMPIRE 1^^

The rockers in the smaller digital screens are not much different with the stadium seating back rest and the arms are covered in the same coloured fabric

I think this is Empire 4 its not five as the seating is around the other way, not sure it looks like one of the Empires upstairs not sure if its one of the 7, 8 & 9 screens they have all the same new rocker seats except for Empire 1 where those seats are no longer made as the company went bust years ago, so the owner told me who sold me the Irwin Rockers.

EMPIRE 7, 8 & 9?^^

I’m still pleased with the deal I got and I like colour because I don’t have choice as that is what the company was selling.

Also not the underside of the seat its not covered or absorbed because some frequencies will bounce off the metal. It’s not a big deal to cover it with fabric.

JBL 4645
    I just took a seated measurement in the sofa which came to around 39 inches to top of head.

Irwin rocker was about 45 inches so there’s a 6 inches difference and some of the bass frequencies sound higher or lower depending on the height or where the sub/subs are located.

I just took a seated measurement in the sofa which came to around 39 inches to top of head.

Irwin rocker was about 45 inches so there’s a 6 inches difference and some of the bass frequencies sound higher or lower depending on the height or where the sub/subs are located.

I’d have to run new frequency sweeps or spot sine wave tests all over again.

JBL 4645
    I looked on this site brand new $189.00 / £122.39 so a saving of around £43 pounds.

http://www.seatsandchairs.com/home-t...147&idcategory

JBL 4645

B&Q sizing up and the cost

I’ve just got back from B&Queer B&Q to look for the building materials needed for the flooring and the cost is going to be just a bit over £100.00.

Timber £4.88 length / 118 ¾ inches
    MDF £16.48 / 4x8
    Screws pack of x100, I forgot the price around £5.00
    PVC piping £1.98
    PVC piping 90º bend 94p

I can’t believe how they can price up some timber that is less than the width and thickness (about the same length yet priced a few pence dearer) .SIGH

I had to look at least 10 or so brands of timber to find a size that isn’t going to put the floor up too high, with the MDF that will be screwed down onto the timber frame.

JBL 4645
    The PVC piping will be placed under the floor, so that I can channel the loudspeaker cables to the front loudspeakers. I’ll feed a cord though the pipe to pull each cable though.

Additional timber not yet calculated for the racking for the sound system to be fitted next to the living room door entrance.

Thread Information