Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 044Ti questions/Help needed

044Ti questions/Help needed

when I got the 18Ti's as donors for backups for the 250ti's , one of the 044ti's was dented.

My JBL friend who says he's fixed many Ti tweets and I pulled the driver ....to push out from inside , BUT can't get off the wood/masonite cover...can get a blade around underneath , staying clear of the dia , BUT it wont come off.

He suggested heat from a hair dryer , which I tried, but still no joy ...suggestions ?

and

once its out, dent removed....what glue shud be used to re-attach ?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Can you try to pull it with a bit of low tack tape like masking tape?

The current adhesive appeared to me to be akin to the double sided "Tape"
    that really is just all adhesive (the backing gets thrown away)... at least in
    the several 044's I've had apart. It can be scary-difficult to get the adhesive
    to release, but it does ... it just seems to re-tack if you let it back down.

Slowly, and with more flat-bladed tools would seem like a good path to try
    if you -really- want to separate the diaphragm from the magnet assy
    (otherwise, good luck finding a new 044Ti replacement dia ... which would
    have obviously been the preferred path).

I assume the Ti version also has the little foam cylinder inside, ... that may
    or may not be reusable... one good reason to have a look

... the voice coil. Definitely don't want to just slide a putty knife under the middle
    and let 'er rip... 'cause it will.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    ... the voice coil. Definitely don't want to just slide a putty knife under the middle
    and let 'er rip... 'cause it will.
    guess I'm always working on LF's and to me HF's either work or not , havnt had opportunity to open them and poke around..

is there a good cutaway view somewhere that will act as a road map ?

the coil just drops down into the gap from the inside edge of the diamond pattern
    (if looking from above). You've taken off the front section, but here's a cutaway pic:

Name:  Screen shot 2010-09-02 at 2.49.30 PM.png
Views: 4730
Size:  94.2 KB

so... looking on-axis with the tweeter, there's a say 1.5-" diameter circle in the middle
    that you don't want to slide a knife or tool into or you'll hit the voice coil former.

I nominate Grumpy Dave as best Tech Responder of the day thanx. !!

I wedged 6 screwdrivers under the plinth (for lack of better term) and about 2 hours later could hear it pop off....as you can see in the pix, its really only held on with some
    double sided tape (the circle around the dia) ....pushed out pretty well , from behind the screen you cant tell.

the foam plug is crumbling ...left it in there until I can figure how to get a replacement (prolly need 4 of them ...2 for the spare 044Ti's and 2 in the 250ti's)

new glue prolly isnt needed as the screws go thru the "plinth" into the magnet and thats what really holds it .

its all back together and when the time permits, I'll check it out....

can the foam plugs be bought/sourced/substituted ???

There's a thread on the foam plugs somewhere here... Probably search on 044, foam, and grumpy to narrow the search... Seems like McMasters had something that would work...

Good to see you generally succeeded in your goal

There's a thread on the foam plugs somewhere here... Probably search on 044, foam, and grumpy to narrow the search... Seems like McMasters had something that would work...

Good to see you generally succeeded in your goal
    I ASSUME that the plugs are there to stop ringing ??? Mine are so far gone that its hard to tell what they were ....looks like it might have been a open cell foam ...McMasters has lots of product, just trying to find needed specs.

think I'm gonna open it again and make sure the gap is clear.

thanx G ...those links helped....dont know why my search didnt locate them.

some of those posts speculate that the foam supports the dome, I have doubts. Think its got to be there for damping.

anyway, found some fine pore open cell foam and am going to custom cut to fit. will make just smaller than the width,,,,,,, height ? shud it be touching the dome or not ?

sometimes I can see more in my pics than by eyeballing the project and noticed rotted foam in the gap ...will run some non-magnetic tool around in there (or maybe just blast it with 100 psi air) to make sure nothing impedes the cylinders movement.

Dome doesn't need support, so yeah.

Factory foam piece actually took some -crushing- to get the 044 dome/fiberboard/assy
    to sit flush against the magnet assy again... so there's definitely some damping going
    on while the foam is still new-ish. I'd just err on the side of 'squishy' vs firm when
    trying non-stock foam bits. pic in that thread shows what the stock foam cylinder
    from a D8R044 (?) kit looked like (taller than I would have guessed, and it cleared
    the side walls of the voice coil former). Definitely touching, in any case... seem to
    recall it taking ~1/4" or more of 'squish'.

Someone could go nuts and do impulse, fr, and waterfall plots before/after/with/without
    /etc... but I personally haven't the materials in hand.

Dome doesn't need support, so yeah.

Factory foam piece actually took some -crushing- to get the 044 dome/fiberboard/assy
    to sit flush against the magnet assy again... so there's definitely some damping going
    on while the foam is still new-ish. I'd just err on the side of 'squishy' vs firm when
    trying non-stock foam bits. pic in that thread shows what the stock foam cylinder
    from a D8R044 (?) kit looked like (taller than I would have guessed, and it cleared
    the side walls of the voice coil former). Definitely touching, in any case... seem to
    recall it taking ~1/4" or more of 'squish'.

Someone could go nuts and do impulse, fr, and waterfall plots before/after/with/without
    /etc... but I personally haven't the materials in hand.
    Thanx for all the help Grumpy.....I reopened the driver today and hit the gap with 100 psi air...blew some junk out....found this foam in a packing box...its abt 10 years old, but its squishy and good resistance to tearing...cut a little plug abt 1/4" too high , the dome rested on it before re-screwing down...it did seem to fill out the dome shape a little, secured it with a drop of glue and it all went together very well. Shud prolly do the other 3 on some rainy day that I can't ride bike...

we i understand im late to the party, but i just have to ask. How do you actually take an 044 apart? ive looked at mine to see if i could possibly remove the dents in the grille/mesh but im obviously missing something.

Quote Originally Posted by roscoe1224 View Post
    we i understand im late to the party, but i just have to ask. How do you actually take an 044 apart? ive looked at mine to see if i could possibly remove the dents in the grille/mesh but im obviously missing something.
    Oh, thats the easy part....there is just a little black "O ring" holding the grille/mesh in.

Thread Information