Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 50

Thread: Some thoughts on Deqx and their products

  1. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1

    Contact details

    Hi,
    I'm new to this forum but not new to Deqx.
    This is a great product but the software is a total head f*ck.
    Also, of course, understanding the graphs is a science I cannot grasp.
    Does anybody have the contact details for the guy that Ken was so enthused about?
    I guess it would not be appropriate to post the guys details on the net so a PM would be better.
    I really need someone that knows what they are doing in order to get the best out of it.
    Recently, I had some help from a quite experienced user who took control over the net, and he did a pretty good job but I'm sure it can be improved on.
    One of the main discoveries was that using the calibration templates really screwed up the sound. Removing it and just using the speaker correction is miles ahead and way more natural.
    I'm wondering whether this is a software issue?

    Thanks in advance,
    Pete

  2. #17
    RIP 2014 Ken Pachkowsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Baja, Mexico
    Posts
    1,706

    Thumbs down Update on Deqx.com Customer Service and self serving attitude!

    Deqx has done it again....

    These guys are so transparent its pathetic.

    I recently put my Deqx HDP-3 and 2.6P HD up for sale. In my description's I suggested those interested go to the Deqx website. I was shocked to receive an email from a potential buyer

    saying there was no information on the Deqx Website.

    Yep, you got it.....

    With the introduction of the HDP-4 this company has removed all but very (very!) minor information re their previous DSP's, even though the HDP-3 is and was being sold just a couple of months ago.

    An obvious move to make it difficult for current customers to sell off their HDP-3's and 2.6P HD's. Turns out they don't want to compete against the re-sale market.

    Yet another example of how self serving and short sighted this company is.

    Your customers are your partners!

    Kim Ryrie and company, you should be ashamed of yourselves.

  3. #18
    RIP 2014 Ken Pachkowsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Baja, Mexico
    Posts
    1,706

    Not for the average user

    Quote Originally Posted by AussiePete View Post
    Hi,
    I'm new to this forum but not new to Deqx.
    This is a great product but the software is a total head f*ck.
    Also, of course, understanding the graphs is a science I cannot grasp.
    Does anybody have the contact details for the guy that Ken was so enthused about?
    I guess it would not be appropriate to post the guys details on the net so a PM would be better.
    I really need someone that knows what they are doing in order to get the best out of it.
    Recently, I had some help from a quite experienced user who took control over the net, and he did a pretty good job but I'm sure it can be improved on.
    One of the main discoveries was that using the calibration templates really screwed up the sound. Removing it and just using the speaker correction is miles ahead and way more natural.
    I'm wondering whether this is a software issue?

    Thanks in advance,
    Pete
    Hi Pete

    I think you are one of the guys I put in touch with the right guy?

    If not, let me know.

    Ken

  4. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Leesburg, VA
    Posts
    322
    It could be they are afraid of competition, or just a poor website. The information on their site about the HDP-4 is very lacking in detail. I'd buy one in a heartbeat if I had a clear idea it would do what I need.
    Oppo BDP-95 DCX-2496 RMX-850 Parasound A21 First Watt J2 Dayton RSS390HF-4 MTM Quads of SEAS W18E001 511Bs TAD TD-2002

  5. #20
    Obsolete
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    NLA
    Posts
    14,548
    Quote Originally Posted by fpitas View Post
    It could be they are afraid of competition, or just a poor website. The information on their site about the HDP-4 is very lacking in detail. I'd buy one in a heartbeat if I had a clear idea it would do what I need.
    Spend a hundred and a half bucks on a miniDSP and see if it will do what you need. If it does what you need, then consider upgrading the electronics to something like a DEQX. Or a Crown for an extra grand with a whole bunch of power included.

  6. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Leesburg, VA
    Posts
    322
    Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Spend a hundred and a half bucks on a miniDSP and see if it will do what you need. If it does what you need, then consider upgrading the electronics to something like a DEQX. Or a Crown for an extra grand with a whole bunch of power included.
    The DCX2496 I have does everything I need. It sounds pretty good too, after I replaced the coupling caps with decent ones. If I go to something else, I'd want state of the art circuitry etc.
    Oppo BDP-95 DCX-2496 RMX-850 Parasound A21 First Watt J2 Dayton RSS390HF-4 MTM Quads of SEAS W18E001 511Bs TAD TD-2002

  7. #22
    Obsolete
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    NLA
    Posts
    14,548
    Quote Originally Posted by fpitas View Post
    The DCX2496 I have does everything I need. It sounds pretty good too, after I replaced the coupling caps with decent ones. If I go to something else, I'd want state of the art circuitry etc.
    Ah! Well, there you go. It's only five grand.

  8. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Leesburg, VA
    Posts
    322
    Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Ah! Well, there you go. It's only five grand.
    The price isn't a huge problem if I had a precise idea of what the thing does. For example, can I set or duplicate the EQ curve I've already determined by measurement? The DEQX description only mentions letting it perform measurements, and auto-setting EQ. Supposing I let it do that, can I tailor that EQ? None of it is clear to me.
    Oppo BDP-95 DCX-2496 RMX-850 Parasound A21 First Watt J2 Dayton RSS390HF-4 MTM Quads of SEAS W18E001 511Bs TAD TD-2002

  9. #24
    Obsolete
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    NLA
    Posts
    14,548
    Well, if you cared enough you'd probably call them and ask them? If they don't want to talk to you then you saved yourself five grand.

  10. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Leesburg, VA
    Posts
    322
    Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Well, if you cared enough you'd probably call them and ask them? If they don't want to talk to you then you saved yourself five grand.
    Yeah, I could try that. Even so, I'd want everything written out on a datasheet so I could study it. I keep hoping I'll find detailed technical data online, but that may not happen.
    Oppo BDP-95 DCX-2496 RMX-850 Parasound A21 First Watt J2 Dayton RSS390HF-4 MTM Quads of SEAS W18E001 511Bs TAD TD-2002

  11. #26
    Administrator Mr. Widget's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    9,982
    Quote Originally Posted by fpitas View Post
    ...can I set or duplicate the EQ curve I've already determined by measurement? The DEQX description only mentions letting it perform measurements, and auto-setting EQ. Supposing I let it do that, can I tailor that EQ? None of it is clear to me.
    I haven't used these newer generation DEQX models, but with the original version yes, you could duplicate a curve by using a very respectable GUI and parametric or graphic EQ. As I recall you could not tailor the left and right channels independently, but it worked quite well. With my experience a small mini monitor with sub configuration worked well with their automated scheme, but for my large four way multi amped system with crazy delays due to horn lengths etc... I found I could get a more accurate reproduction by taking numerous MLS measurements and manually tweaking the parametric controls.

    Over all I was pretty happy with the digital performance of the DEQX PDC 2.6P... it was the A to D and D to A parts that left me wanting better performance. It is my understanding that the DACs have been significantly improved since my time with DEQX quite a few years ago.


    Widget

  12. #27
    Senior Member Ian Mackenzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    7,122
    Hi Ken,

    l have no affilation with deqx but l think you are a wee bit sensitive given the rapid life cycle of this category.

    l am not sure why anyone would buy an inferior older model, unless it,was sold at door stopper prices. No of this stuff is expensive new anyway.

    Assuming you have the manuals and applicable warranty what is the issue?.

  13. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Leesburg, VA
    Posts
    322
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    I haven't used these newer generation DEQX models, but with the original version yes, you could duplicate a curve by using a very respectable GUI and parametric or graphic EQ. As I recall you could not tailor the left and right channels independently, but it worked quite well. With my experience a small mini monitor with sub configuration worked well with their automated scheme, but for my large four way multi amped system with crazy delays due to horn lengths etc... I found I could get a more accurate reproduction by taking numerous MLS measurements and manually tweaking the parametric controls.

    Over all I was pretty happy with the digital performance of the DEQX PDC 2.6P... it was the A to D and D to A parts that left me wanting better performance. It is my understanding that the DACs have been significantly improved since my time with DEQX quite a few years ago.


    Widget
    Thanks Widget. What you said about the large multi-way is what I suspected. I'd still like to see a datasheet or owner's manual of some sort, but it sounds like it's worth pursuing.
    Oppo BDP-95 DCX-2496 RMX-850 Parasound A21 First Watt J2 Dayton RSS390HF-4 MTM Quads of SEAS W18E001 511Bs TAD TD-2002

  14. #29
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1

    DEQX web site etc

    Hello from DEQX,

    Thanks Ken for your thoughts, and my apologies for the missing historical data to date. To clarify a few issues mentioned here, our new web site remains under construction and legacy products will be listed next month. It hasn’t been a priority because the HDP-3 ceased production about eighteen months ago and the PDC-2.6 many years before that as you may know. A new FAQ will be going up next week.

    Since introducing the on-line DEQXpert install service we try to promote that vs DIY installs to avoid some of the issues mentioned on this thread. There is a recently revised manual but many installation issues (mainly getting the best measurement in an almost infinite number of scenarios) can't deal with all contingencies. The Lake box by comparison does not attempt anechoic measurement/calibration, so its much easier to write a comprehensive manual. BTW, I grew up next door to the late Bruce Jackson, designer of the Lake box, in Sydney. He helped me market Fairlight in the US in the late 70’s but was not involved directly in DEQX or Fairlight. Later, Lake’s founder Brian Connolly asked me to help them commercialise what is today called Dolby headphones (Dolby end up buying Lake). I introduced Bruce to Lake when he moved from the US back to Sydney. BTW, Bruce also founded Apogee Electronics that virtually wrote the book on digital jitter, which in the early days of digital was barely acknowledged.

    We do not actively discourage DIY’s from doing their own installation, but it does take up a fair bit of our uncharged support time. These days we encourage DEQX sales to include installation by the dealer/installer or DEQXpert online installation (from about $399), which is increasingly popular with existing DEQX owners and DIY customers. We answer many specific installations questions including from those planning to buy second-hand units. We also supply user manuals on request allowing potential DIY customers to understand the capabilities of DEQX in more detail and indicate the level of expertise required for DIY installation.

    To maximise the value of legacy designs we endeavour to allow backward compatibility of software features. Apart from audio transparency, I/O and other design improvements, recent products are similar or identical in functionality to prior models and we have traditionally offered an industry leading trade-in policy for DIY users wishing to upgrade; historically about 50% of original cost credited towards new models after four years for example.

    Cheers from Sydney!

  15. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Via de WiFi
    Posts
    329
    You may access all previous versions of the DEQX website here:
    http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.deqx.com/

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Ok here it is... [DEQX]
    By Ken Pachkowsky in forum Electronic Crossovers
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-28-2006, 07:22 PM
  2. Ok here it is... [DEQX]
    By Ken Pachkowsky in forum Lansing Product Technical Help
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-07-2006, 03:43 PM
  3. Second DEQX is here...
    By Ken Pachkowsky in forum Electronic Crossovers
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-19-2006, 10:58 AM
  4. Second DEQX is here...
    By Ken Pachkowsky in forum General Audio Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-30-2006, 04:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •