Thread: Soundcraftsmen PCR800, worth fixing?

Soundcraftsmen PCR800, worth fixing?

A friend gave me a Soundcraftsmen PCR 800. He said it quit working.

I plugged it in and all I get is a loud hum. Are these worth having fixed? I can't find much about them. He claimed it was a really good amp when it worked.

Thanks, Terry

I don't know what the differences are between the PCR 800 and the subsequent 840 and 860 are but I have three of the later amps. They are OK. They are certainly better than your average Pioneer or Marantz receiver, but they are not a performance stunner like a GAS, Threshold, Electrocompaniet, etc. from the same era.

You can pick them up for under $200 each on eBay. I doubt I would pay to get one fixed.

Widget

BTW This should be in the Off Topic area.

Thanks,

I was afraid it was not worth fixing. Thought I'd better ask before I spent the money. Could of been that it was a prize amp and worth it, I didn't know.

Sorry about posting this in the wrong forum. I'm still new around here, as you can tell. I'll be more careful from now on. :o

Blessings, Terry

Figge
    Originally posted by Mr. Widget
    but they are not a performance stunner like a GAS

u mean the ampzilla? do u have experience with this amp? tell me something about it...i have a shot at one...but i havent made my move due to i dont really know anything about it. isnt much on the www eather!
    Last edited by Figge; 08-11-2004 at 08:28 AM.

There were several Ampzilla variants over the years. They were all quite popular in the bang for the buck department. The later ones were very good. I never owned one personally, but I have owned a couple of the Ampzilla Grandsons. Yes it is called the Grandson. They are very, very good amps. I'd put them up there with the very best Solid State amps of the era.

You might PM Wardsweb. He has a link to the current Ampzilla that is also by James Bongiorno.

Widget

Thread Information