Thread: Getting a 2235 from other baskets?

Getting a 2235 from other baskets?

I've seen a couple of posts in which someone referred to their 2235 as having started life as a K130 or something else. Are there a few 15" speakers that share the same basket and magnet? If so, could someone make a list. I have one 2235 in a B380 cabinet and was thinking about getting another. This may open up some other possibilities for me.

One more thing, is the 2235 a better speaker than say a K130, or just different?

Blessings, Terry

Search finds:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...highlight=2235

where Giskard outlined 2235 basket compatibility.

I recall him or others updating that further, but can't locate the posts, alas.

One more thing, is the 2235 a better speaker than say a K130, or just different?
    They are each better for different purposes:

2235 is an "extended bass" driver with a foam surround that also has good response charactersistics up to 1200 Hz. Often used as a subwoofer (B380), its wider response range is well exploited in the highly regarded and much loved 4430 two-way (O.K., "quasi-3-way," then) large-format studio monitors. Good down to 30 Hz and below, as you know.

K130 is an "extended range" driver with an accordian surround and reduced mass aluminum voice coil, primarily intended as a high-efficiency musical instrument (guitar) speaker. In this case, the "extension" is upward, into the midrange. While it lacks the low end response of true low frequency transducers, it produces the renowned "Vintage JBL" sound in musical instrument applications. Successor to the D130, good only down to 50 Hz.

Last edited by Zilch; 08-10-2004 at 03:35 PM.

Thanks a bunch. That is just what I was looking for.

I noticed that they refer to SFG vs Alnico. Wasn't the D130 Anico? Is there an advantage of one over the other when making a 2235?

I'm just an old rocker who's been out of touch. In my hay-day, the D130's and D140's where the bomb. I played bass through D140's for years. I kinda got out of music for a few years and I was shocked when I returned and JBL wasn't making musical instrument speakers anymore.

Anyway, I have built a home recording studio and am in the process of building up my monitor section, so I'm trying to play catch-up on the technology now. I want to have a few different set-ups in there to reference by and one killer setup to make folks go WOW!

Thanks for all your help.

Blessings, Terry

The following provides a very good explanation of the design objectives of the different classes of JBL bass drivers:

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/...s/tech1-3a.htm

The D130 is an Alnico driver, however it is possible to recone this and other compatible Alnico drivers (such as the 2231) into a 2235. The biggest difference in the 2235 is increased power handling, lower distortion and use of a progressive suspension to address the issue of dynamic offset. You will get most of these benefits, but not all, in reconing a compatible Alnico chasis with a 2235 recone kit.

It is not possible to match the power handling of the ferrite version since you will partially demagnetize an Alnico motor before you reach the operational limits of the 2235 cone/coil assembly. The Alnico motors also have marginally higher levels of 2nd order harmonic distortion. The whole issue of Alnico vs ferrite magnets has been debated pretty much to death here. If you do a search of this forum you will find numerous threads and posts on this topic.
    Regards

Don McRitchie

Thanks Don,

That's good information. I'll study that a bit.

Blessings, Terry

Yeah, they are....

Originally posted by still4given
    I kinda got out of music for a few years and I was shocked when I returned and JBL wasn't making musical instrument speakers anymore.

http://www.jblpro.com/pages/pub/components/eseries.pdf

The venerable E-Series is still the musical instrument standard, with very much the same sound as the vintage D's.

[Forklift optional....]

Obsolete
    I tried to snag a pair of E110's recently and was informed that they are NLA.

Originally posted by Giskard
    Well, THAT certainly sucks.

Guess we'll just have to work with "Vintage" stuff, then.

RIP 2009
    Originally posted by Giskard
    Wow! That REALLY surprises me! What about the E145? Isn't that a pretty much one-off frame? That's the one I'd be surprised if they keep manufacturing...

Any news on the other E series? I do have to admit I see them rarely installed OEM anymore - it seems every musical instrument manufacturer has their own custom brand speakers anymore...

John

Thread Information