Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flat Panel speakers

Flat Panel speakers

Slag off these unamerican b@$tards!
    Selling off an American icon like they did ...

I just bought a fine pair of American made speakers off CL -
    The seller was about an hour away in Maryland ...
    got clear the JBL trash outta the way to give them space to play, but they really aren't bad at all!

Gentlemen, Wisconsin's finest ... Magnepan!
    STILL made in America!!

Magneplanar MG IIB

Name:  Mags_3935.jpg
Views: 2517
Size:  111.5 KB
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

My, my, those are big.
    Out.

a bit OT in carrying this further, but depending on how and to what you listen to,
    they can be quite pleasing.

I saw them in the local CL and had heard they were intriguing - the entry price was pretty low, and when I did some research, it was impressive to hear THEY hadn't offshored their production!

They sound pretty good, for 22 year old speakers!
    I'll take it to another thread now, ok?
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    I saw them in the local CL and had heard they were intriguing - the entry price was pretty low, and when I did some research, it was impressive to hear THEY hadn't offshored their production!

They sound pretty good, for 22 year old speakers!
    I'll take it to another thread now, ok?
    Are they as transparent and holographic sounding as they are said to be?
    scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post
    Are they as transparent and holographic sounding as they are said to be?
    They seem to be - I just put them in the room where they fit for the moment, haven't spent any time with placement issues - but - at the moment - if you stand maybe a foot forward of dead between them, you are in the band, with every instrument placed precisely around you.

Emma says its like swimming in the music -
    Its the craziest thing - the whole panel has music on it - there is no single point of radiation - there is no box, no ports, no focus, just a field of music ...
    Gotta get to bed soon - but once I heard them, I had to bring it home and feed it from our system.

And I'm not even feeding it from the big system - right now its just got the carver receiver and the HK changer! Maybe 150w/ch into 4 ohms.

It does have a couple jumpers on the connector panel - so I could biAmp it in a heartbeat ...
    but - lots of time to play with it later ...

Its an older 2 way model - they make a lot fancier ones now - but - its real oak uprights and struts.
    Plus, the price was cheap enough - I paid more for the two walnut horns John made for me thanI did for this pair!

Name:  mags_3936.jpg
Views: 2529
Size:  113.7 KB

A close friend was recently given a pair. Service records show multiple tweeter replacements. When the owner's manual treat this like an annual service, even to showing what size PVC pipe you need to buy to ship the old part for re-furb, then you know there's weak link in the system somewhere. Sound just OK to me in his system. But free is good. He offered them to me but I declined.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    A close friend was recently given a pair. Service records show multiple tweeter replacements. When the owner's manual treat this like an annual service, even to showing what size PVC pipe you need to buy to ship the old part for re-furb, then you know there's weak link in the system somewhere. Sound just OK to me in his system. But free is good. He offered them to me but I declined.
    And so you should have - you have a house full of JBL inventory already!

Rollin said he bought his new in 88, and had one of them sent back for refurb - maybe 90/91, when he found his cat had used it for a scratch post. Didn't sound like his got annual servicings ... but - time will tell.

Apparently they are 5 ohm speakers but the load can drift down to around 2 ohm load at times - so - they may not play well with some amps ...

if you stand maybe a foot forward of dead between them, you are in the band, with every instrument placed precisely around you.
    Oh No !!! deviant speakers (wait till you hear Walsh's ....that kinda sound stage but with bass too)

Mine are listed as "4/3 ohm" ...its either 1 1/3 or 4 sometimes 3 ....Tim says they can drop to 2 ohm at some freqs....that what got me into BGW amps..they can handle the low impedance.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

And so you should have - you have a house full of JBL inventory already!

Rollin said he bought his new in 88, and had one of them sent back for refurb - maybe 90/91, when he found his cat had used it for a scratch post. Didn't sound like his got annual servicings ... but - time will tell.

Apparently they are 5 ohm speakers but the load can drift down to around 2 ohm load at times - so - they may not play well with some amps ...
    The beauty of this is I still can have them, whenever I want them. For the time being they're stored at his house . . . in the third floor cathedral-ceiling "apartment" of his "garage" one-floor above the 42-motorcycle collection, with the cars (including lift) on the first floor. "Space; the endless frontier." But I, on the other hand, have none.

The Crown amp I brought over to use with them worked fine but the rest of the system isn't what I'd use and the whole thing lost my interest. Maybe I'll try them again in a different room with a better system . . . or just listen to yours!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

funny here I found a pair last year here in Newburgh 10.00.My wife said: No,No NO!!!. I came back on Monday, got the top of the trash pile out back; used carpet cleaner on them, and flipped them for 250.00. On Monday they were free.....

one mans trash is another's treasure
    Integra DHC80.1,3x 4636LF, 2360-2446J 2404H,12 x 8340 Surrounds, 2 x4645B, BGW 250D's,250E's,& 750B's 16 amps...7600 watts

Quote Originally Posted by lgvenable View Post
    funny here I found a pair last year here in Newburgh 10.00.My wife said: No,No NO!!!. I came back on Monday, got the top of the trash pile out back; used carpet cleaner on them, and flipped them for 250.00. On Monday they were free.....

one mans trash is another's treasure
    Kind of what I figured - that's about what I paid for them - so I can play with them for a while and sell them for what I paid with no problem ...

Sat downstairs reading last night and put on the CD of James Taylor & Carol King "Live at the Troubador". Its an authorized DVD-CD package from the tour I got for about $20 the other day. Anyway, it was a quite pleasant concert, and had a nice presence in the room.

Bout the only thing that DIDN'T sound right on them was B'Boom, KC Live in Argentina - Tony Levin's bass is obviously missing some bottom (at least until I try adding the Volkswoofer in that room) - but small jazz or folk stuff is nice

JBL 4645
    They seem to be - I just put them in the room where they fit for the moment, haven't spent any time with placement issues - but - at the moment - if you stand maybe a foot forward of dead between them, you are in the band, with every instrument placed precisely around you.

Its the craziest thing - the whole panel has music on it - there is no single point of radiation - there is no box, no ports, no focus, just a field of music ...
    Gotta get to bed soon - but once I heard them, I had to bring it home and feed it from our system.

And I'm not even feeding it from the big system - right now its just got the carver receiver and the HK changer! Maybe 150w/ch into 4 ohms.

It does have a couple jumpers on the connector panel - so I could biAmp it in a heartbeat ...
    but - lots of time to play with it later ...

Its an older 2 way model - they make a lot fancier ones now - but - its real oak uprights and struts.
    Plus, the price was cheap enough - I paid more for the two walnut horns John made for me thanI did for this pair!

I noticed the fuse is that to protect the whole system from overload?

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    I noticed the fuse. Is that to protect the whole system from overload?
    The fuse is just on the tweeter ...

It also has jumpers you can remove to bypass the crossover and connect to the drivers directly, if you want to biamp it.

This is the thing about these kinds of speakers, they present the sound in hologprhic images. You describe as "IN THE BAND", Emma says "SWIMMING IN THE MUSIC", I just say "HOLOGRAPHIC SOUND", enjoy thjem, for what they are, and of course for what you did NOT have to pay to get sound like this,

I think you will find these speakers suit some types of music really well. And are not very great with other kinds of music.
    scottyj

Thread Information