Thread: EON problem

EON problem

Hi all!

I am having a problem with one of my remaining first generation grey EON15.

I have already changed the amp before and now the speaker tends to making a good popping sound and the woofer is really excurting. It seems like an amp problem, again.

Does anyone have any other odd experiences to share with these grey EON15's?

I put in a call for a new amp. Should I also replace the input module?

Thanks all!

Scotty.
    One step above: "Two Tin Cans and a String!"
    Longtime Alaskan Low-Fi Guy - E=MC² ±3db

If you have multiples you can swap the input module and see if the problem follows it. Was dealing with 2nd gens but I had a input module go bad once.
    JBL doesn't want to sell you Performance Series speakers.

48 out of an order of 50 eon's we sold a couple of years ago were bad out of the box...JBL replaced the entire shipment. Some wouldn't come on at all, the rest were all noise, no signal. I would not recommend them to anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Rinkerman View Post
    48 out of an order of 50 eon's we sold a couple of years ago were bad out of the box...JBL replaced the entire shipment. Some wouldn't come on at all, the rest were all noise, no signal. I would not recommend them to anyone.
    I would, for the latest generation, which is the only ones I've owned. They do exactly what I need, endure night after night of transport, no failures, lightweight, and sound decent enough for lots of uses. This includes the powered subs.

Quote Originally Posted by mikebake View Post
    I would, for the latest generation, which is the only ones I've owned. They do exactly what I need, endure night after night of transport, no failures, lightweight, and sound decent enough for lots of uses. This includes the powered subs.
    One word: Mackie.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Sorry EON's are just not that good...

I bought a pair of self powered EON's for our church, and couldnt send them back fast enough.
    Sorry, I was ashamed to call them JBL; and to me it reflected how far the quality standards have fallen. They might weigh a lot less than my L100's, and they sounded like it too.

On the other hand, I audtioned the self powered speakers with Crown amps, and those were much nicer. heavier too, with larger magnets; and I suspect better internals. Frankly none of these stand up worth a darn to one on my BGW 250D's in a rack box, with a pre-amp and microphone rack, driving my studio monitors. They blew everyone away at an all-church event; and some of those folks may like music, but they arent addicted to the equipment like me.

They were very impressed. Its true to say the microphone rack, pre-amp, and 250D in a stage box weighed in at say 70 lbs, which is more than two of the self powered eons. Not to mention my 4312's, as we all know how light they are....

BMWCCA PEAVEY or MACKIE...
    Integra DHC80.1,3x 4636LF, 2360-2446J 2404H,12 x 8340 Surrounds, 2 x4645B, BGW 250D's,250E's,& 750B's 16 amps...7600 watts

If you really have to have super cheap, good sounding, Chinese made crap, QSC is pretty amazing...well made, great power, and very durable...

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Rinkerman View Post
    If you really have to have super cheap, good sounding, Chinese made crap, QSC is pretty amazing...well made, great power, and very durable...
    I use their amps to good effect with my SR700 series.
    My comments on the 3rd gen Eons pertains to using them always with the mathcing powered 18's. I haven't spent much time listening to them without. Enough to know I want them used witht the subs.

Thread Information