Thread: Either aftermarket car audio is dropping downhill, or the factory wiring is...

Either aftermarket car audio is dropping downhill, or the factory wiring is...

Recently installed 4 brand new Infinity Kappa 6x9 in my truck. The other day I hooked up my Pioneer CD player that I have had in several cars over 13 years. And I've always had different versions of Infinity Kappa 6x9s hooked to it. They sound pretty good compared to factory speakers with the factory CD player but sound like crap when I hooked up the Pioneer. So either the newest versions are junk or the wiring in my truck is to small gauge to carry the extra power to the speakers and cause distortion.

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    Quote Originally Posted by HemiMoparGuy198 View Post
    Recently installed 4 brand new Infinity Kappa 6x9 in my truck. The other day I hooked up my Pioneer CD player that I have had in several cars over 13 years. And I've always had different versions of Infinity Kappa 6x9s hooked to it. They sound pretty good compared to factory speakers with the factory CD player but sound like crap when I hooked up the Pioneer. So either the newest versions are junk or the wiring in my truck is to small gauge to carry the extra power to the speakers and cause distortion.

did you double and triple check the phase?

This you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=celhE1c1Gkg

If it sounded good and well with the factory head unit and the Infinities...
    are you turning it up louder with the Pioneer?

wire gauge would be pretty far down on my list, phase might make you
    think you need to turn it up more... but again, if it was ok with the factory
    head unit and you didn't flip speaker wires around ... (?)

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    This you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=celhE1c1Gkg

If it sounded good and well with the factory head unit and the Infinities...
    are you turning it up louder with the Pioneer?

wire gauge would be pretty far down on my list, phase might make you
    think you need to turn it up more... but again, if it was ok with the factory
    head unit and you didn't flip speaker wires around ... (?)
    Nope, not me, although I did do that exact same thing years ago. Upset me quite badly as I had it hooked to my Sony bookshelf stereo rated at 100 wpc RMS, and the speaker was rated at little more than 100 RMS.

I guess I could double check the phase, but it sounds pretty good with factory radio...just not real crisp and clear when up loud...so I was gonna throw in the Pioneer that has ALWAYS sounded nice...Hoping for a little more umph when up loud if not than prolly rewiring the whole thing

... adequate power -to- the Pioneer would be my first thought.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    ... adequate power -to- the Pioneer would be my first thought.
    You may be onto something. As my truck has a new weird wiring system in that I need a $70 harness adapter to hook into the factory harness. There is no key on power to the hu. So I used one of my alligator clip jumper wires to tie the full time power and key on power leads together on the pioneer temporarily, as I had a harness adapter from other vehicles that I thought would work with this truck as well since it had the same style plugs...I had it soldered all together and didn't want to unsolder it just to test it out.

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    Quote Originally Posted by HemiMoparGuy198 View Post
    You may be onto something. As my truck has a new weird wiring system in that I need a $70 harness adapter to hook into the factory harness. There is no key on power to the hu. So I used one of my alligator clip jumper wires to tie the full time power and key on power leads together on the pioneer temporarily, as I had a harness adapter from other vehicles that I thought would work with this truck as well since it had the same style plugs...I had it soldered all together and didn't want to unsolder it just to test it out.

now you mention it...

LoL

you could check out 'techforless' for that harness...
    they seem to carry a bunch for relative little money...

http://www.techforless.com/cgi-bin/t...wiring+harness

Quote Originally Posted by louped garouv View Post
    now you mention it...

LoL

you could check out 'techforless' for that harness...
    they seem to carry a bunch for relative little money...

http://www.techforless.com/cgi-bin/t...wiring+harness

I didn't see it as a problem cuz I've done the same thing to test the Pioneer. I have a teeny weeny DC power supply/breadboard from my electronics courses, that I used not much bigger than phone wire to place into the busses on the board then gator clipped to the wires on the Pioneer and it powered my huge JBL 4673's in the living room with no trouble so I wouldn't think the same gator clips wouldn't provide enough power for 6x9's

BTW TY for the link, they didn't have it though. $70 seems to be the low price for it. One guy on another forum with a truck like mine went to 1 shop said $150, went to big box store $138, Crutchfield $70...Since when is Crutchfield the cheap one? If I eliminate the sound issue then I will just run a key on power lead from the cig lighter before I pay $70 for the harness

Thread Information