Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Am I building these correctly - JBL 4355 Crossovers

Am I building these correctly - JBL 4355 Crossovers

All,

Please forgive me, but I have never built crossovers before (I'm not even sure if I am reading the schematics correctly). I was hoping some one can verify whether I am building the crossovers correctly. I have included below the original schematics posted by Giskard, followed by my drawing of how I plan to lay the various components. Could someone please look this over for me?

Thanks in advance

Original Schematics:

My Diagram:

anyone?

Looks ok to me

Quote Originally Posted by dkalsi View Post
    anyone?
    Your drawing looks good to me. (I guess L-pads are placed off the board somewhere else). Consider placing the inductors with 90 degrees orientation between each other to minimize interfecence. For tips on placement of inductors in crossovers, see http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/coils.htm

Quote Originally Posted by jerv View Post
    Your drawing looks good to me. (I guess L-pads are placed off the board somewhere else). Consider placing the inductors with 90 degrees orientation between each other to minimize interfecence. For tips on placement of inductors in crossovers, see http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/coils.htm
    Thanks Jerv,

Yes - the L-pads have not been included in the diagram. Per the link you provided (thanks!), I moved/oriented the inductors a little bit differently. See revised diagram below. Additionally, I have also included a picture of how I was planning on charge coupling the capacitors - does this also look right?

Thanks Dhar

New Orientation:

Charge-coupling the capacitors:

142 views and only 1 reply? Could some one please verify whether I have the charged coupled methodology correct, and whether this symbols below represent positive input:

Yes those are the positive feeds. The CC topology looks fine.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

I looked because I need to know too!

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Yes those are the positive feeds. The CC topology looks fine.

Rob
    Rob - You are the MAN!!!!!

Thanks - I can finally start building these things.

Cheers,
    D

Quote Originally Posted by dkalsi View Post
    Thanks Jerv,

Yes - the L-pads have not been included in the diagram. Per the link you provided (thanks!), I moved/oriented the inductors a little bit differently. See revised diagram below. Additionally, I have also included a picture of how I was planning on charge coupling the capacitors - does this also look right?
    Sorry about not being able to answer earlier - your layout looks good to me, and I also second Rob's comment on the CC topology. Good luck with the building!

Regards, Espen

Just realized that I had made an error when I revised the inductor placement. I incorrectly labeled the 18ohm resistor as 8.2 ohm and I had a positive lead coming out from 1.0mH inductor when it should have being coming from the 18 ohm resistor.

See revised diagram below (just in case someone is following this thread).

Don't forget that your coils should be physically installed be at right angles to each other to minimise mutual coupling.

Obsolete
    Here's an example of one that I recently completed (on the right in first photo). Nothing fancy since I needed to get the job done asap. The inductors are sufficiently far apart to negate mutual coupling. I've also included a photo of a fancier (external with case crafted by SteveH) version as well as the stock version.

Name:  networks.jpg
Views: 7487
Size:  97.2 KBName:  3155 cc network.jpg
Views: 7735
Size:  83.8 KBName:  stock.jpg
Views: 8203
Size:  85.5 KB

Sorry to dig up this old thread but I'm now making a plan for my 3155 networks and I'd like to know if what I do is right:

Pic:
    http://puu.sh/c6K85/1a4f46d4dd.png

The network will be divided into 3 sections that will sit above each other, you could call it 'pseudo-modular'.
    I still have to figure what happens after S6 and S8 (sorry, total noob in electronics! ) and then draw those parts.
    The resistors are 10W Superesl caps are Jantzen Crosscaps and the coils are 14AWG Wax Coils, also from Jantzen.

By the way - what's the trick with 2.4 and .16 coild? I can't find them anywere in Europe...

This is easier to understand.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    43XX (2235-2123-2450-2405-CC 3155)5235-4412-4406-4401-L250-18Ti-L40-S109 Aquarius lV-C38 (030) 305P MkII

Quote Originally Posted by martin2395 View Post
    Sorry to dig up this old thread but I'm now making a plan for my 3155 networks and I'd like to know if what I do is right:

Pic:
    http://puu.sh/c6K85/1a4f46d4dd.png

The network will be divided into 3 sections that will sit above each other, you could call it 'pseudo-modular'.
    I still have to figure what happens after S6 and S8 (sorry, total noob in electronics! ) and then draw those parts.
    The resistors are 10W Superesl caps are Jantzen Crosscaps and the coils are 14AWG Wax Coils, also from Jantzen.

By the way - what's the trick with 2.4 and .16 coild? I can't find them anywere in Europe...
    This guy will wind them to order. Reasonable prices and in my experience quite fast turnaround

http://www.audio-components.co.uk/st...ubCategoryID=6

Thread Information