Thread: Parasound amplifiers?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Parasound amplifiers?

Hello everyone, I need some general information, and user experiences IF anyone has on Parasound amps.

Basically, what I am doing is seeking new amps to run all my horns and tweeters, I am also upgrading my sub bass and midbass amps, and I will remain Crown powered for all my woofer needs. Crown amps still rock on low end, but what they offer today, is not exactly what I need on my horns and tweeters. I have been looking at Parasound's amps, they have two lines, HALO, and NEW CLASSIC, the HALO series being my first choice.

These amps are Class A/AB operation, and Class AB, they are available in the power ranges I need/want, and offer rack mount ears, a necessity for me, and basically have all the right things I want in a design. JFET input, MOSFET drivers, and high current bi polar outputs. They are manufactured using quality parts, they feature massive power supplies, with hefty toroidal power transformers and LARGE amounts of filter storage capacitance. Looking inside the amps from photos they provide reveals nicely constructed amps, and according to the manufacturers claims, these amps have the right things.

I don't know how they sound, as I don't know any who use them, but, since I am doing a very comprehensive set of upgrades to my system, with some REALLY phenomenal components and drivers, I have also been looking at changing amps, it is time to retire certain 30 year old units, in favor of NEW and HIGH QUALITY units.

If anyone has any experience with Parasound, I would like to hear what you have to say! Basically, it is the MOSFETS I am after for tweeter and compression driver/horn powering! And anyone that already uses a MOSFET amp on their system, especially horns and tweeters, understands why!

If you just want to look at Parasounds offerings, www.parasound.com.

scottyj

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    i heard a parasound on some local builders hedlund horns a few months ago...

the system, overall, was quite impressive for a measly little 6 or 8" driver
    (ableit with an absolutely huge cabinet)

certainly not like nightclub or anything, but impressive none the less...
    wish i could give more of my thoughts, but it was a bit ago, and I only
    had the chance to listen on a system i had never heard before, in an unfamiliar room....

as a side note,
    Isn't John Curl involved with Parasound?
    I've read some very nice things about his designs & implementations thereof...
    going back to the 70s i think...

Yes, Parasound are John Curl designed amplifiers, and this is one major point that attracts my attention.
    scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post
    Yes, Parasound are John Curl designed amplifiers, and this is one major point that attracts my attention.
    I think he has only worked on a few of their Halo designs.

I have owned a number of pieces of gear that he has designed... they have all been excellent.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    I think he has only worked on a few of their Halo designs.

I have owned a number of pieces of gear that he has designed... they have all been excellent.

Widget
    Yes, the Parasound HALO JC-1 is a monoblock John Curl design, and at 800w@4ohms, six of these would be an awesome choice for those new TAD 15,s I am using.

Then, the HALO series AC-21 and AC-23, for midrange and tweeters are HIGH BIAS Class AB designs with JFET inputs, MOSFET driver stage, and BI Polar high current outputs, and they have the power I want, and probably a really good sound, with high fidelity. Circuitry is designed in both models by John Curl.

I am getting the Treuextent diaphragms for my compression drivers, plus the TAD tweeters going in so I want to power these with amps that are really worthy.
    scottyj

I believe they were Parasounds in use at one of our Mid-Atlantic JBL Listening Parties at OpiMax's home. He had three driving the 250ti projects and his JBL subs. Don't know what models but they sounded fine in his system and home, certainly compared to my baby Crowns and the L7s.

Edit: Opi uses Perreaux amps but Wilfredo had at least one Parasound in his collection.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Thread Information