Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crown I-tech madness

Crown I-tech madness

I just had to post this picture of what an acquaintance recently have bought to power his hometheather There's one amp missing in the picture, so he's in fact going to use one I-T4000 for each 7 channels (Beyma DIY with dual 15s and tpl-150h) and 2 x I-T8000 for subwoofers (he was originaly planning to use 6xBeyma 21", but I think he now is going for 6xMaelstrom X 21 instead)

This is not less than a total of 44kw of the highest end Crown power into one hometheather, you can call it madness

Name:  68233d1280780331-befs-kompromisslose-hjemmekino-forsterkere-hus-se-post-1968-1988-_mg_6609.jpg
Views: 2782
Size:  124.7 KB

Nice stack!

And that's one tough brief case at the bottom.
    Out.

The new I-techs, by comparison to the old MacroTechs, weigh nearly nothing. Something like 25-pounds each for around 4,000 watts. Not much worse than any one of us standing on that briefcase. But I have to ask what kind of SPL is he trying to achieve with those amps? That's a load of power.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    ... But I have to ask what kind of SPL is he trying to achieve with those amps? That's a load of power.
    Heating the room?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoerninger View Post
    Heating the room?

He's VERY skilled and do custom HT installs for a living so it will be fun to see the end result, here's his previous HT room:

Name:  47048d1235851198-befs-kompromisslose-hjemmekino-forsterkere-hus-se-post-1968-1988-img_2295.jpg
Views: 2075
Size:  85.2 KB

Name:  47050d1235851198-befs-kompromisslose-hjemmekino-forsterkere-hus-se-post-1968-1988-img_2297.jpg
Views: 2002
Size:  71.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Hoerninger View Post
    Heating the room?

But I have to ask what kind of SPL is he trying to achieve with those amps? That's a load of power.
    It's different today. years ago, when the Macro Tech 2400 producing 800wpc@4ohms was a BIG amp, you bought the most powerful amp that was available. Today, it's "HOW MUCH" power do you need? Then, you double this in your selection and purchase of the amplifier. Because of the programmable features of the new styles of amplifiers, you dial the amp in to match the requirements of the load. I use an I Tech 4000, soon to be replaced with a Macro tech 9000i, on my J Horns, and I don't need 2000 watts per pair of J Horns. Matter of fact, if you open the amp up and let it run wide open, the J Horns don't sound good with too much power, BUT I have the peak and avg power limiters set for the needs of the J Horns, and THEY SOUND TERRIFIC on this amplifier. And there is NO clipping, and I have headroom, the amp is always within safe operating area, and stays clean sounding, and I don't blow woofers due to overdriving the amplifier.

And, unlike amplifiers of the past, that you could slightly clip, the new amps don't sound good when clipping at all. So, IF you buy an amp with the exact amount of rated power you need/want, you have no headroom. The technology and power supply systems the new amps use are also different than yesterdays amps, and today we buy double the necessary power to be able to maintain clean sound with headroom, and freedom from clipping. IT DOES WORK, and having so much power is NOT about using every last watt the system has.

Not only that, todays movie soundtracks and todays digital music recordings have content that will call on the amps to output massive peak voltages and current, and truthfully, ONCE you hear a great system reproduce a sustained very low frequency signal without distortion from the amplifier being driven into hard clip, the woofers play this range deeply, and with total authority and sounds great because the amps can maintain control of the woofers cone, and unwanted distortion artifacts are not being generated by the amp and being fed into your drivers instead of a clean reproduction of the original signal.

And, then of course, when one does call upon the system to REALLY DO SOMETHING OVER THE TOP, you have the power to do so. And, like when I kick my system during a drum break of a particular recording, it is OVERWHELMING, and SPECTACULAR sounding! I found that having the additional power really works, and because the system has the power, I can play music WITHOUT overdriving the system, and the music sounds far more relaxed and doesn't get fatiguing.

IT REALLY WORKS! Having the power is GOOD!
    scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post
    In fact they run really cool.
    Ya, that's what I have expected. But what is the apparent headroom good for - burning speakers?

And there is NO clipping, and I have headroom, the amp is always within safe operating area, and stays clean sounding, and I don't blow woofers due to overdriving the amplifier.

And, unlike amplifiers of the past, that you could slightly clip, the new amps don't sound good when clipping at all.
    O.k., you gave the answer some minutes before.

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post
    And, like when I kick my system during a drum break of a particular recording, it is OVERWHELMING, and SPECTACULAR sounding!

I've gotta get to the scooter-car emporium!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

mebbe he can slap a roundel sticker on one for you.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    mebbe he can slap a roundel sticker on one for you.
    Thoughtful, but I think they're cool enough already!

Even if you came to NYC on a weekend during winter, or something, I would still give you the GRAND TOUR and listening/playing time. After I close for the season, my winter maintenance schedule begins, so I am always around.

!!
    scottyj

The hometheather with all the Crown I-tech amps is soon to be finished now and I really think it deserves some more picutres

Speakers are all DIY Beyma, in front there are LCR with TLP150H and 2x15P80nd (15"), frontsubs are 6x18sw1600nd (18"). :

Name:  87926d1328462160-befs-kompromisslose-hjemmekino-inviterer-demo-12-februar-13-00-post-4409-_mg_59.jpg
Views: 4048
Size:  132.9 KB

(Normally no speakers are shown, they are all behind the screen and panels)

In the back there are 4 surroundspeakers each have TPH150H and 15P80ND, and there are also another pair of 18sw1600nd subs:

Name:  87933d1328467654-befs-kompromisslose-hjemmekino-inviterer-demo-12-februar-13-00-post-4409-_mg_59.jpg
Views: 1820
Size:  113.6 KB

Really, I don't see the point, when I customly see 300 seats (and more) theaters with a fraction of this power and still they sound extremely good and powerfull.

Ego trip.
    My avatar: 4520 loaded with 2225H on E140 frames,
    1x 2202H on custom front loaded horn, 2x 2426 on 2370.

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    Quote Originally Posted by Eaulive View Post
    Really, I don't see the point, when I customly see 300 seats (and more) theaters with a fraction of this power and still they sound extremely good and powerfull.

Ego trip.

perhaps an over the top implementation of a hobby pursuit IMHO....

though i'm not one to judge....
    as my home stereo is over the top by many 'reasonable' folk's standards also....

not a lot of old Bozak mixers being deployed as a home preamp, i would estimate....

I personally think it's pretty neat what he's done...
    wish I had the knowledge/skill/wherewithal to do so...

Thread Information