Thread: 4312 and 4312 A

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

4312 and 4312 A

Hi everyone,
    I recently bought a very nice pair of 4312. I had previously trested the second version the 4312 A and find these better sounding: 1) projecting more the sounds, 2) better in the bass.
    I wanted to know if it is well known that the A are better ?
    Mine ar completly original nothing has been changed and especially the binding post that only let in a 2.5 mm wire. the 4312A tested had their changed. I am told (here in france) that it is complicated to change the binding post as the filter is attached to it....
    Do you think that changing them allowing better cables will improve the bass ?
    thanks,
    David

Quote Originally Posted by davidpou View Post
    ... especially the binding post that only let in a 2.5 mm wire. the 4312A tested had their changed. I am told (here in france) that it is complicated to change the binding post as the filter is attached to it....
    Do you think that changing them allowing better cables will improve the bass ?
    thanks,
    David
    I don't think you will get much bass improvement by changing the terminals. You may want to use good wire that terminates in gold plated "pin" terminals. I generally use 12 gauge wire. Here's a good deal from Parts Express:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=109-062

thanks for this answer i will do just that.
    Just for my personal culture is it true that the 4312 A are "better" than the first ones ?

Quote Originally Posted by davidpou View Post
    thanks for this answer i will do just that.
    Just for my personal culture is it true that the 4312 A are "better" than the first ones ?
    I do not have the "A" version so my tweeter is a paper cone. I'm sure there are other differences but the main one is that the "A" has the titanium tweeter and so a higher brighter top end. The 052ti tweeter in the "A" is highly regarded, so I think many would consider it better.

Quote Originally Posted by Val View Post
    I do not have the "A" version so my tweeter is a paper cone. I'm sure there are other differences but the main one is that the "A" has the titanium tweeter and so a higher brighter top end. The 052ti tweeter in the "A" is highly regarded, so I think many would consider it better.
    Hi,
    I just got new cables (thin but surely better quality than the one I could previously use). yes it does make a difference as it seems more energy is going to the 4312. The guy told me to just undo the end of the hoelbach (air blue 3) I have and stick it in directly into the HP. Didn't try this yet but I prepared the air blue for the test....

As you wrote it seems the A are better since I have red (and heard) the same thing.

The other main difference that can be pointed out is the woofer as it doesn't go as down as the A did (in my memory). I have to complete with the sub which I didn't have to do with the A.

The woofer of my 4312 seems to be covered by a "white crust" (sorry purist people) which the A didn't have... It is surely hardening the stuff and as a result it prodices less bass....
    I will have to hunt for the A then which is hard to find in france....

Ah, airblue 3:

http://www.oehlbach.com/products/hom...5&cat_parent=6

"White crust", as in the Aquaplas coating? it should be on both the 4312 and 4312A
    as they use the same bass driver (2213H). Comparing the schematics, it looks like
    in the -A version, the midrange plays a little lower, and the tweeter cut off is less
    gradual (12 vs 6dB/oct).

MODEL LOW MID HIGH NETWORK
    4312 2213H (58963-03X) LE5-12 LE25-2 3112C
    4312A 2213H (58963-03X) 104H-3 (65180-03X) O35TI 3112D

I think Val might have been thinking of the 4412A (052Ti)...

Thread Information