Thread: 4312 and 4312 A

4312 and 4312 A

Hi everyone,
    I recently bought a very nice pair of 4312. I had previously trested the second version the 4312 A and find these better sounding: 1) projecting more the sounds, 2) better in the bass.
    I wanted to know if it is well known that the A are better ?
    Mine ar completly original nothing has been changed and especially the binding post that only let in a 2.5 mm wire. the 4312A tested had their changed. I am told (here in france) that it is complicated to change the binding post as the filter is attached to it....
    Do you think that changing them allowing better cables will improve the bass ?
    thanks,
    David

Quote Originally Posted by davidpou View Post
    ... especially the binding post that only let in a 2.5 mm wire. the 4312A tested had their changed. I am told (here in france) that it is complicated to change the binding post as the filter is attached to it....
    Do you think that changing them allowing better cables will improve the bass ?
    thanks,
    David
    I don't think you will get much bass improvement by changing the terminals. You may want to use good wire that terminates in gold plated "pin" terminals. I generally use 12 gauge wire. Here's a good deal from Parts Express:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=109-062

thanks for this answer i will do just that.
    Just for my personal culture is it true that the 4312 A are "better" than the first ones ?

thanks for this answer i will do just that.
    Just for my personal culture is it true that the 4312 A are "better" than the first ones ?
    I do not have the "A" version so my tweeter is a paper cone. I'm sure there are other differences but the main one is that the "A" has the titanium tweeter and so a higher brighter top end. The 052ti tweeter in the "A" is highly regarded, so I think many would consider it better.

Quote Originally Posted by Val View Post
    I do not have the "A" version so my tweeter is a paper cone. I'm sure there are other differences but the main one is that the "A" has the titanium tweeter and so a higher brighter top end. The 052ti tweeter in the "A" is highly regarded, so I think many would consider it better.
    Hi,
    I just got new cables (thin but surely better quality than the one I could previously use). yes it does make a difference as it seems more energy is going to the 4312. The guy told me to just undo the end of the hoelbach (air blue 3) I have and stick it in directly into the HP. Didn't try this yet but I prepared the air blue for the test....

As you wrote it seems the A are better since I have red (and heard) the same thing.

The other main difference that can be pointed out is the woofer as it doesn't go as down as the A did (in my memory). I have to complete with the sub which I didn't have to do with the A.

The woofer of my 4312 seems to be covered by a "white crust" (sorry purist people) which the A didn't have... It is surely hardening the stuff and as a result it prodices less bass....
    I will have to hunt for the A then which is hard to find in france....

Ah, airblue 3:

http://www.oehlbach.com/products/hom...5&cat_parent=6

"White crust", as in the Aquaplas coating? it should be on both the 4312 and 4312A
    as they use the same bass driver (2213H). Comparing the schematics, it looks like
    in the -A version, the midrange plays a little lower, and the tweeter cut off is less
    gradual (12 vs 6dB/oct).

MODEL LOW MID HIGH NETWORK
    4312 2213H (58963-03X) LE5-12 LE25-2 3112C
    4312A 2213H (58963-03X) 104H-3 (65180-03X) O35TI 3112D

I think Val might have been thinking of the 4412A (052Ti)...

Hi,
    thanks for coming in and for this precision. I finally found the tech sheet and you are damn right !
    thing is the A that someone lend me didn't have the aquaplas... so I thought until you put doute into my mind.... I will check .... it wood mean if correct the 2213H has been changed on his A !
    I tried this afternoon better cables and indeed it made a difference, like more energy is going to the speakers.... They were abit agressiven let's say, but very clear and transparent, precise.... Its a french shit !

thanks again for opening my eyes on this point.....

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post

I think Val might have been thinking of the 4412A (052Ti)...
    Nope, I wasn't thinking of the 4412...I was just plain wrong...

I have a pair of 4312s and the bass is very good. I'm using a Denon receiver w/ 120wpc. The Denon can produce some great low end. Mine are wired with high-quality lamp cords.

Mine are wired with high-quality lamp cords.[/QUOTE]

I undid the terminal of the hoelbach on both ends now! since my amp is an MC 275 CE and these have the same outpost as the original 275 meaning impossible to put any terminal into it meaning adaptators meaning loss of quality! I am running the cables directly into both outpost and it is better than with adaptators and terminal! finally the bass is improved.... can still hear a difference with the sub but it became more subtle.... test are still going on...

can you attach a picture of your 4312s please ?

Quote Originally Posted by robertbartsch View Post
    I have a pair of 4312s and the bass is very good.
    Mine are wired with high-quality lamp cords.
    sorry, you meant you have the 4312 first version like mine) and the bass is good. I thought "s" meant an other type of 4312 like A, B, C D....
    as written previoulsy it seems that the woofer needs a certain amount of stimulation in order to start moving xhich i didn't have with the bad quality wire... it s all better now.
    lamp chord! well one has to dare but why not ....

... can still hear a difference with the sub but it became more subtle....
    Can hear a difference on my 250ti's with the M&K subs switched in or out....there aren't too many speakers where you won't hear it.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Thread Information